The documentation set for this product strives to use bias-free language. For the purposes of this documentation set, bias-free is defined as language that does not imply discrimination based on age, disability, gender, racial identity, ethnic identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, and intersectionality. Exceptions may be present in the documentation due to language that is hardcoded in the user interfaces of the product software, language used based on RFP documentation, or language that is used by a referenced third-party product. Learn more about how Cisco is using Inclusive Language.
High-density, low-latency, physical layer switching
The Cisco Nexus® 3550-H High-density Layer 1 Switch is purpose-built and optimized for enterprise network monitoring, patch and fanout connections to support high-speed applications.
The Cisco Nexus® 3550-H High-density Layer 1 Switch is unlike traditional network switches that operate at the data-link layer (Layer 2), the Cisco Nexus 3550-H operates at the physical network layer (Layer 1). Connections through the switch are made electrically through a matrix switch (see figure 3). This allows the switch to tap into connections (for network monitoring), patch connections between ports (for reconfiguration), and fanout connections from one port to many (for high-speed applications), at nearly zero latency (<5ns).
Cisco Nexus 3550-H High-density Layer 1 Switch
The Cisco Nexus 3550-H (160) is the first networking switch to use double-density QSFP-DD connectors. QSFP-DD connectors are 100 percent backward compatible with legacy QSFP connectors, enabling a smooth transition path from legacy network cabling/connectors to QSFP-DD high-density connectors. The Cisco Nexus 3550-H is also available in a QSFP-only option.
Enterprise manageability features are core to the Cisco Nexus 3550-H.
The Cisco Nexus 3550-H features an all-new management platform based on the Nexus 3550-F Modular Layer 1 Matrix Switch.
The Cisco Nexus 3550-H features a powerful x86-based management CPU, dual (1G and 10G) Ethernet management interfaces, USB and RS232-based console access, and 10Gbps access from the management CPU to the data plane. It also offers high-quality PPS and GPS-based time synchronization options for inline packet timestamping.
The Cisco Nexus 3550-H operates at the physical layer and is fully packet aware.
Every port on the Cisco Nexus 3550-H is monitored for vital packet statistics, including the number of packets/bytes transmitted/received, and transmit/receive errors. The switch also provides deep diagnostics on each of its 20 QSFP-DD ports including light levels, operating temperatures, transceiver capabilities, and more. All of these statistics are available at no latency cost on the critical path.
Replace 53 optical taps in a single 1RU switch
Network monitoring is vital for logging, debugging, and compliance. While optical taps can be used for low latency network inspection, they consume valuable rack space and cannot be remotely managed. The Cisco Nexus 3550-H replaces 53 optical taps (159 lanes) in a single 1RU switch. Taps through the 3550-H employ active signal regeneration so that the signal quality remains high while port-to-port latencies are as low as 3.2ns with nearly undetectable jitter. This makes it nearly transparent to other infrastructure devices in your network.
Cisco Nexus 3550-H High-density Layer 1-144 Switch
Cisco Nexus 3550-H High-density Layer 1-160 Switch
The Cisco Nexus 3550-H. A patch is configured between ports 1 and 3: all traffic from port 1 is directed to port 3, all traffic from port 3 is directed to port 1. Taps are configured from port 1 to ports 4 and 5: traffic from port 1 is replicated to ports 4 and 5 at latencies as low as 3.2ns.
Cisco Nexus 3550-H port matrix
Layer 1 features
● Tap, patch, and fanout. 1:1 and 1:N connectivity on all ports***
● 3.2ns (min) port latency
● 1G/10Gb/s connectivity on all ports
● I/O signal conditioning and regeneration
● Packet counters (RX, TX, dropped, etc.)
● Per-port status LEDs
● tcpdump all ports
● QSFP(-DD) diagnostics (light levels, temps, etc.)
● SNMP, local, and remote syslog
● LLDP TX/RX
● Time series logging to InfluxDB
● 20 QSFP-DD ports, 160x 10G lanes (Cisco Nexus 3550-H Hydra 160) or 36 QSFP ports, for 144x 10G lanes (Cisco Nexus 3550-H Hydra 144)
● QSFP (-DD) 8x [10GBASE-SR, 10GBASE-LR, 10GBASE-LRM, 1000BASE-SX, 1000BASE-LX]
● QSFP (-DD) Copper Direct Attach
● RJ45/SFP+ management ports (1G/10G)
● RJ45 Industry standard serial port
● USB Micro serial port
● USB (for firmware upgrades)
● 2x SMA for GPS and PPS
● x86-based management CPU
● CLI via serial, SSH, and telnet
● JSON RPC API for all CLI commands
● Automatic configuration via DHCP
● TACACS+ and multiuser support
● ACLs on management interface
● FW updates via SFTP, TFTP, HTTP and USB
● Onboard BASH and Python scripts
● Onboard Cron jobs
● Time sync via PPS, GPS, PTP and NTP, Low latency tapping, patching, and fan-out
● 19” 1RU, rack mount
● Weight: 15kg (24lbs)
● Dual, hot-swappable supplies
● Standard: AC 100-240 Vac, 50-60 Hz
● Optional: DC 40-72Vdc
● Maximum consumption: 750W
● 3 hot-swappable fan modules
● Optional airflow direction (FTB, BTF)
● Operating temperature: -5 °C to 45 °C
● Storage temperature: -40 °C to 70 °C
● Operating Relative Humidity: 5% to 90% (non-condensing)
● Storage Relative Humidity: 5% to 95% (non-condensing)
● Max Operarting Altitude AC: 5000m
● Max Operating Altitude DC: 3048m (Mainland China 2000m)
● Class I Equipment
Information about Cisco’s environmental, social, and governance (ESG) initiatives and performance is provided in Cisco’s CSR and sustainability reporting.
Table 1. Cisco environmental sustainability information
Information on product-material-content laws and regulations
Information on electronic waste laws and regulations, including our products, batteries, and packaging
Information on product takeback and reuse program
Operating and storage conditions
Maximum power consumption
Product packaging weight and materials
Dimension and weight
Flexible payment solutions to help you achieve your objectives
Cisco Capital® makes it easier to get the right technology to achieve your objectives, enable business transformation and help you stay competitive. We can help you reduce the total cost of ownership, conserve capital, and accelerate growth. In more than 100 countries, our flexible payment solutions can help you acquire hardware, software, services and complementary third-party equipment in easy, predictable payments. Learn more.