Next-Generation Metro Ethernet Access
Built for service providers, these multilayer customer-located switches allow you to deploy Ethernet-to-the-home (ETTH) "triple play" services and Ethernet-to-the-business (ETTB) VPN services. Based on today's most widely deployed access switches, the Cisco Catalyst 2950 and 3550 Series, the Cisco ME 3400 Series provides service provider-friendly hardware and mission-specific software:
- A single ETTH and ETTB access solution to help reduce total ownership costs and operating expenses
- Compact form factors for ease of deployment
- Only front connectors to simplify access (except for ME-3400G-2CS-A)
- NEBS Level 3 and ETSI certification (ME-3400G-2CS-A is only NEBS3 certified)
- Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF) 9 and 14 certification
- Support for multiple software images
The switches feature comprehensive security capabilities:
- Network-based security to protect the network from unauthorized traffic
- Switch security to help maintain continuous switch operation
- Subscriber security to shield subscribers from other malicious users
Software Feature Images
Install new features with a simple software upgrade. CD Upgrade kits are also available. The three available software images are:
- METROBASE image: For triple play (voice, video, and data) services; includes advanced QoS, rate-limiting, robust multicast control, and comprehensive security features
- METROACCESS image: For premium triple play services or Layer 2 VPN services; includes the METROBASE feature set and additional metro access features such as 802.1Q Tunneling, Layer 2 Protocol Tunneling, and Flex-Link
- METROIPACCESS image: For Layer 3 VPN services; includes the METROACCESS feature set and advanced Layer 3 features such as advanced IP Routing (RIPv1/v2, EIGRP, IS-IS, OSPF, BGPv4), Multi-VRF CE, and policy-based routing (PBR)
High-Speed Mobility without Complexity (PDF -175 KB)
To take full advantage of the performance enhancements and scalability offered by 802.11n, follow these easy suggestions to simplify deployment and maximize network efficiency.
U.S. Provider Maintains Ethernet Leadership (PDF - 582.46 KB)
Cisco Carrier Ethernet switching technology helps tw telecom (formerly Time Warner Telecom) gain market share.
Telco Breaks Scalability Limits
CTBC Telecom adds Resilient Ethernet Protocol, enhancing performance for services like IPTV and video on demand.
Swiss Service Provider Gains Ethernet Market Leadership
Swisscom maintains leadership, gains service flexibility, with high-speed converged MPLS core and Ethernet metro rings.
Product Support Services
Cisco's Services can help you increase operational efficiency, lower support costs, and improve availability risk management.