Enhance and Simplify Virtual Security
Achieve regulatory compliance and simplify audit processes with the Cisco Virtual Security Gateway (VSG). VSG:
- Provides multitenant access with granular, zone-based, and context-aware security policies
- Supports dynamic provisioning of security policies and trust zones during virtual machine (VM) instantiation and policy portability during virtual machine (VM) movement
- Helps reduce errors and promotes collaboration across server, network, and security teams while retaining separate administrative responsibilities
See the benefits of Cisco Virtual Security Gateway (VSG) on TechWiseTV. (5:30 min)Read Data Sheet
Network Virtualization Winner
IT Brand Pulse named Cisco the number one network virtualization market leader.Get the Details
Features and Capabilities
Improve Virtual and Cloud Security Services
Cisco VSG integration with the award-winning Cisco Nexus 1000V Switch provides the following operational benefits:
- Flexible deployment – Cisco VSG supports Layer 3 and Layer 2 modes; each Cisco VSG protects multiple physical servers.
- Performance acceleration – Cisco VSG offloads packet-intensive processing to the Cisco Nexus 1000V distributed switch to optimize performance.
- High availability – Deploying Cisco VSG in active-standby mode helps ensure high availability.
- Cloud security – Cisco VSG extends zone-based firewalling service to virtual machines on VXLAN through updated segmentation features.
Implementing this virtual security gateway with the Cisco ASA 1000V Cloud Firewall in a virtual multi-tenant data center security solution provides tenant edge, intra-tenant, and inter-tenant virtual and cloud security.
Cisco VSG and the ASA 1000V provide complementary functionalities. The VSG provides virtual machine context-aware and zone-based security capabilities. The ASA 1000V provides tenant edge security and default gateway functionalities. Together, they provide a trusted and comprehensive virtual and cloud security portfolio.
Easily Manage Security
Choose Your Deployment
You can deploy the Cisco Virtual Security Gateway in one of two ways:
- As a virtual appliance on VMware
- As a virtual service blade on the Cisco Nexus 1100 Series Cloud Services Platform
The Cisco Virtual Security Gateway data sheet includes requirements for each deployment option.
Virtual Security Gateway Technical Documentation
- Release Notes
- Reference Guide
- Installation Guide
- Configuration Guide
- License Configuration Guide
- Troubleshooting Guide
Cisco Named Network Virtualization Leader (PDF - 1.6 MB)
Learn IT Brand Pulse survey results and why Cisco was chosen as best.
Virtual Security Market Trends (PDF - 462 KB)
Forrester analysts address the benefits of virtual security solutions.
Ask Questions, Get Answers
Visit Cisco Community Central, and engage on Cisco Nexus 1000V Switches.