Virtualizing the Wireless Network
Minimize hardware costs while optimizing wireless network performance with centralized control. The Virtual Wireless Controller can cost-effectively manage, secure, and optimize the performance of local and branch wireless networks. Ideal for small and medium-sized businesses, the Virtual Wireless Controller facilitates server consolidation and improves business continuity in the face of outages.
Watch a brief overview of the Virtual Wireless LAN Controller - designed to virtually centralize the control of your midsize wireless network. (3:40 min)
Wireless Controller Fundamentals
Learn primary benefits and protocols of controller-based wireless networks. (6:32 min)View Video
Features and Capabilities
A component of the Cisco Unified Wireless Network, the Virtual Wireless Controller provides real-time, centralized communications between Cisco Aironet Access Points, the Cisco Prime Infrastructure, and the Cisco Mobility Services Engine
Designed for organizations with virtualization initiatives, and for small to medium enterprise deployments, the Virtual Wireless Controller offers:
- Centralized wireless network visibility and control for up to 200 branch locations
- Ability for IT managers to configure, manage, and troubleshoot up to 200 access points and 3000 clients via FlexConnect
- Secure guest access, rogue detection for Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliance, and in-branch (locally switched) Wi-Fi voice and video
- Reliable connectivity with the Cisco FlexConnect solution for branch network
- Protection of access points connected to remote controllers from branch WAN failures; wireless clients remain connected with access to local resources
The Virtual Wireless Controller is a part of the complete Wireless Controller family, all offering:
- The flexibility to centrally configure wireless policy, management, or security settings on remote access points through centralized provisioning and management.
- Wireless intrusion prevention system (WIPS) capabilities
- Centrally-defined policy enforcement across wired and wireless networks and integration with Cisco Identity Services Engine
- Support for advanced mobility technologies, including FlexConnect, Cisco ClientLink, VideoStream, and Cisco CleanAir technology
- CleanAir technology provides both real-time and historical information about RF interference impacting network performance across controllers
- ClientLink further increases the throughput and performance of all client types
View the wireless controllers portfolio At-a-Glance to understand the wide array of Cisco controllers that can support wireless functions in organizations of all sizes, from branch offices to small and medium business to large campus and service provider environments.
Specifications at a Glance
|Flexibility with FlexConnect solution||
|Licensing flexibility and investment protection||
BYOD for K-12 Education
Gain anywhere, anytime learning with Cisco K-12 Education BYOD Solutions.
Product Support Services
Cisco's Services can help you increase operational efficiency, lower support costs, and improve availability risk management.