Catalyst 8540MSR Four-Port OC-12c ATM Module
The Catalyst® 8540MSR is the latest member of the Cisco Systems family of Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) switches for multiservice applications---from the ATM workgroup and campus backbone to metropolitan-area networks and alternative service provider backbones.
Building upon Cisco IOS® software as well as supporting the latest ATM Forum specifications and Tag Switching, the Catalyst 8540MSR offers the most complete feature set of any switch in its class. It delivers the performance, scalability, and robustness required for production ATM deployment.
The Catalyst 8540MSR uses a 13-slot, modular chassis featuring optional power supply, route processor, and switch fabric redundancy. It can accept up to 8 of the new high-density modules or 16 of the existing LightStream® 1010/ Catalyst 8510MSR . All modules are hot-swappable. The 40-Gbps, shared-memory, fully nonblocking switch processor of the Catalyst 8540MSR can support up to 32 OC-12c ports using these new high-density modules.
Each module port can be configured to support a variety of clocking options:
- Self-timing based on the ATM switch processor clock
- Loop timing from the received data stream---ideal for public network connections
- Timing synchronized to a selected master clock port, required to distribute a single clock across a network
The Catalyst 8540MSR offers two choices of OC-12c (622-Mbps) modules:
- Four-port multimode fiber (MMF)
- Four-port single-mode fiber (SMF) (intermediate reach)
The multimode fiber 622-Mbps Synchronous Optical Network (SONET), (STS-12c)/Synchronous Digital Hierarchy (SDH) Synchronous Transport Module level 4 (STM-4) PAM supports four ports. With a typical reach of 500m, the module is ideal for very-high-performance intercampus links. This PAM supports an SC-type connector for ease of use.
The SMF, 622-Mbps SONET STS-12c/SDH STM-4 module supports four ports, and with its intermediate reach of 15 km, it is ideal for very-high-performance intercampus, metropolitan, or wide-area links. This module supports SC-type connectors for ease of use.
- PAM H x W x D: 1.2 x 13.0 x 10.0 in. (3.0 x 37.0 x 25.4 cm)
- PAM power budget: 63 watts
- The Catalyst 8540MSR supports up to eight high-density PAMs for a maximum of 32 OC-12c ports per switch.
- Debugging: Multiple levels of port loopback
TX RX Distance PAM Connector Max Min Max Min km Miles OC-12
IR = intermediate reach