- Nine-slot chassis with line cards vertically mounted for efficient front-to-back airflow
- Scalable performance—Up to 385 mpps with distributed forwarding architecture
- A mix of Cisco Express Forwarding implementations and switch fabric speeds for optimizing deployments
- Forward-thinking architecture with investment protection—Supports three generations of interchangeable, hot-swappable modules in the same chassis
- Unparalleled services integration and flexibility—Accommodates a broad selection of line cards, including LAN, WAN, metropolitan-area network (MAN), services blades, optical interfaces, and power supply options
- Maximum network options and network resiliency—With redundant, tiered-speed fan-tray options
- Increased power options for in-line power and power-intensive hardware
- Improved cable management for dense, cable-intensive configurations
As Cisco's premier modular multilayer switch, the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series delivers secure, converged services from the wiring closet to the core, and from the data center to the WAN edge. The new 9-slot chassis is ideal for high-performance NEBS applications where performance, IP services, redundancy, and fault resiliency are critical. Combined with a central route processor and forwarding engine, the chassis provides up to 385-mpps forwarding rates and up to 720 Gbps of total throughput. This versatile Cisco 6500 system scales LAN connectivity from 10 Mbps to 10 Gigabit Ethernet and WAN connectivity from DS-0 to OC-48/STM-16, integrates advanced services such as security and content with converged networks, is fully compatible with the Cisco Supervisor Engine 720, and provides investment protection for enterprise and service provider networks.
The 9-slot NEBS-compliant chassis delivers 9 slots of performance and accommodates a broad selection of line cards, including LAN, WAN, MAN, services blades, optical interfaces, and power supply options. The chassis enables enterprises and service providers to deploy the advanced network infrastructure necessary to succeed in demanding, high-traffic environments.
Like all chassis in the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series, the new 9-slot chassis supports three generations of interchangeable, hot-swappable modules in the same chassis, optimizes IT infrastructure usage, maximizes return on investment, and reduces total cost of ownership. The chassis provides NEBS Level 3 compliance with line cards vertically mounted for efficient front-to-back airflow cooling and a redundant fan-tray option that maximizes network uptime and network resiliency. Standard or extended cable-tray inserts provide unrestricted cable management with up to forty-eight 10/100 cables per slot. Two chassis can be installed in a 7-foot rack.
As with all new products, the 9-slot chassis products will be on new product hold initially; the expected lead time for delivery is approximately four weeks. Table 1 gives the software requirements of the new chassis, and Table 2 gives ordering information.
Table 1 Minimum Software Requirements of Cisco Catalyst 6500 9-Slot NEBS-Compliant Chassis
Table 2 Ordering Information for Cisco Catalyst 6500 9-Slot NEBS-Compliant Chassis
Cisco offers numerous service and support offerings for both enterprise and service provider customers. Cisco has earned the highest customer-satisfaction ratings in the industry by providing the world-class service and support necessary to deploy, operate, and optimize networks. Whether the goal is speed to market, maximizing network availability, or enhancing customer satisfaction and retention, Cisco is committed to the success of its customers.