This data sheet provides detailed product specifications for an important element of the Cisco® Ethernet Optimized solutions: the Cisco CRS 2-Port 40GE LAN/OTN Interface Module (Figure 1). The module connects directly into any 40 Gigabit Ethernet transport network, including traditional OC-768 transport networks, and provides two ports at 40 Gbps of data per port for 40 Gigabit Ethernet LAN physical layer (LAN-PHY) or Optical Transport Network (OTN) Transport Unit Level 3 (OTU-3) transport.
Significant dense Packet over SONET (POS) deployments exist despite the overwhelming industry trend toward Ethernet. Operators are looking for POS-like operations, administration, and maintenance (OAM) functions at Ethernet price points with technologies such as OTN G.709 encapsulation. Some operators have traditional transponder systems that can operate only in OC-768 and OTU-3 modes.
In addition, bandwidth growth is leading all markets, including data center operators, to move to 40 Gigabit Ethernet the in aggregation layer to handle growth in the data center.
The Cisco CRS 2-Port 40GE LAN/OTN Interface Module addresses both these needs.
The 2-port 40 Gigabit Ethernet module in OTN mode with multirate serial C Form-Factor Pluggable (CFP) Fiber with Scrambled Encoding (FR) optics addresses the requirements for POS such as OAM functions at Ethernet prices, and the 2-port 40 Gigabit Ethernet module in LAN mode with CFP Long-Reach (LR) or CFP Short-Reach (SR) optics provides a dense 40 Gigabit Ethernet solution for data centers and 10 Gigabit Ethernet aggregation.
Table 1 lists specifications for the Cisco CRS 2-Port 40GE LAN/OTN Interface Module.
Table 1. Product Specifications
Compatible with all current Cisco CRS-1 and CRS-3 line-card chassis
Cisco IOS® XR Software Release 4.2.3 or later for Cisco CRS-3 platform
• 40 Gigabit Ethernet
• Encapsulations: ARPA, IEEE 802.2/SAP, and IEEE 802.3/SNAP
• IEEE 802.x flow control
• IEEE 802.1q VLAN support and jumbo frames
• IEEE 802.1p tagging
• Source and destination MAC address accounting and VLAN accounting
Four ports of 40 Gigabit Ethernet per physical-layer interface module (PLIM) slot
POS feature summary
OTN (G.709) feature summary
• ITU G.709
• Alarm reporting: Loss of signal (LOF), loss of OTN frame (LOF), and loss of OTN multiframe (LOM)
• OTU alarm indication signal (OTU-AIS), OTU backward defect indication (OTU-BDI), ODU alarm indication signal (ODU-AIS), ODU open connection indication (ODU-OCI), ODU locked (ODU-LCK), ODU backwards defect indication (ODU-BDI), ODU payload type identifier mismatch (ODU-PTIM), OTU signal fail (OTU_SF_BER), and OTU signal degrade (OTU_SD_BER)
• OTU_SF_BER and OTU_SD_BER alarms are based on monitoring of OTU BIP errors with a user-configurable threshold crossing
• Error counts: OTU BIP, OTU BEI, ODU BIP, and ODU BEI
• Threshold crossing alerts (TCAs) for OTU BIP errors (SM-TCA) and ODU BIP errors (PM-TCA) with user-configurable threshold
• Local (internal) and line (network) loopback
Reliability and availability
• Online insertion and removal (OIR) without affecting system traffic
Cisco 40GBASE-FR transceiver module in a CFP form factor that supports 2km reach on a single mode fiber
Service and Support
Cisco delivers innovative services programs through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners, resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction. Cisco Services helps you protect your network investment, optimize network operations, and prepare your network for new applications to extend network intelligence and the power of your business. For more information about Cisco Services, contact your local Cisco representative or visit http://www.cisco.com.
For More Information
For more information about the Cisco CRS 2-Port 40GE LAN/OTN Interface Module, contact your local Cisco representative or visit http://www.cisco.com/go/crs.