The Cisco 812 CiFi (Cellular with Wi-Fi) Integrated Services Router (ISR) is available in standalone 3.7G or 3G/3.7G with dual 802.11n radio Wi-Fi in AP form factors. It offers the full features of Cisco IOS Software combined with 3G and wireless LAN management capabilities. The 812 CiFi ISR supports latest 3G standards (High-Speed Packet Access Plus [HSPA+] release 7 and Evolution Data Optimized [EVDO] Rev A) combined with Cisco Enterprise-class wireless LAN solutions.
The Wi-Fi capability of the 812 builds on the Cisco heritage of proactive interference protection with support for Cisco CleanAir technology. These innovative access points provide high-performance 802.11n connectivity for mission-critical mobility solutions, including:
• 3.7G HSPA+ release 7 or EVDO Rev A for cellular WAN backup or primary backhaul connection
• External dual 3G antennas for superior signal strength connectivity with receive diversity
• A dual subscriber identity module (SIM) capability that allows two service providers to offer services in one platform (for Global GSM models)
• Dual 802.11n radio support concurrent 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz with embedded 2X3 multiple input, multiple output (MIMO)
• 10/100/1000 IOS Gigabit Ethernet router port with an optional external mount Power over Ethernet Plus (POE+) power supply splitter
• Cisco Advanced IP Services IOS with ScanSafe and extensive security features
Figure 1 shows a Cisco 812 CiFi Integrated Services Router.
The Cisco 812 CiFi ISR is available in both standalone 3.7G and 3G/3.7G with dual 802.11n radio Wi-Fi versions. Support for 3G offers cost-effective, rapidly deployable, reliable, and secure primary or backup connectivity. The Cisco 812 CiFi platforms concurrently support both 3G/3.7G for wireless WAN backhaul and Cisco dual 802.11n radio WLAN on the same platform as shown in Figure 2. The 802.11a/b/g/n 2X3 MIMO built-in Cisco 3500 Access Point (AP) in the Cisco 812, comes with Cisco's CleanAir technology, to create a self-healing, self-optimizing WLAN. Moreover, with the advantage of dual radio, the integrated AP can serve both as an access point and as a client to a wireless mesh network. This provides another source for WAN diversity along with Gigabit Ethernet and cellular. The AP ClientLink feature improves reliability and coverage for legacy devices and dynamic frequency selection (DFS allows detecting and avoiding interference with radar signals to comply with regulatory domains. Figure 2 shows the 812 CiFi ISR with integrated 3.7G and 802.11 a/b/g/n AP. More information on the Cisco 3500 Access Point is available at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps10981/data_sheet_c78-594630.html
Figure 2. Cisco 812 CiFi Integrated Services Router with 3.7G and Wi-Fi
A critical component of the Cisco 812 CiFi architecture, the Cisco 812 CiFi ISR serves as the single, horizontal platform which enhances the Cisco implementation of "any device, anywhere, any place" across multiple industries. It also provides the ability to extend Cisco product-based networks to small branch offices with a relatively low incremental investment, as well as to enable managed services offerings based on Cisco architecture.
The Cisco 812 CiFi ISRs supports WWAN cellular 3.7G High-Speed Packet Access Plus [HSPA+] and 3G Evolution Data Optimized [EV-DO Rev A]). They are backward compatible with High-Speed Packet Access (HSPA), Universal Mobile Telecommunications Service (UMTS). Enhanced Data Rates for Global Evolution (EDGE), General Packet Radio Service (GPRS), and EV-DO Rev 0/1xRTT. The Cisco 812 CiFi includes an integrated WLAN access point.
• Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM) and UMTS models are based on the Third-Generation Partnership Project (3GPP), and they support HSPA+ (High-Speed Uplink Packet Access [HSUPA] and High-Speed Downlink Packet Access [HSDPA]), UMTS, EDGE, and GPRS.
• Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) models are based on 3GPP2, and they support EV-DO Rev A and Rev 0 and 1xRTT.
The Cisco 812 CiFi ISR family includes a broad range of enterprise-class features including:
• Security services, including firewall, intrusion prevention, VPN and Cisco ISR Web Security with ScanSafe which require no additional hardware or client software, This enables Enterprise branch, remote branch offices, temporary sites, and retails, for example to intelligently redirect web traffic to the cloud to enforce granular security and acceptable use policies over user web traffic. With this solution, you can deploy market-leading web security quickly and easily to protect branch office users from web-based threats, such as viruses, while saving bandwidth, money, and resources.
• Additional WAN options such as Gigabit Ethernet WAN interface, the Cisco 812 CiFi provides quality-of-service (QoS) features for optimizing voice and video applications.
• Cisco Configuration Professional is a web-based configuration tool that simplifies setup and deployment. Centralized management capabilities give network managers visibility and control of the network configurations at remote sites.
• With enhanced data rates and improved latency (below 100 milliseconds), WWAN services are an ideal way to supplement traditional wire line services. Third-generation WWAN data services offered today have average data rates well in excess of ISDN speeds, with theoretical limits in excess of 21.1 Mbps on the downlink and 5.76 Mbps on the uplink. The 3G/3.7G WWAN can be used as a primary link for sites with lower bandwidth requirements. The 3G/3.7G data services can also be used as a cost-effective alternative in areas where broadband services are either not available or very expensive. Cisco is building on these performance milestones and adding support for wireless to our wide variety of WAN interface alternatives.
Business Benefits and Application Examples
Businesses are looking for ways to reduce costs, increase revenue, and improve business continuity. The 3G/3.7G wireless connectivity, allows a small enterprise branch office or remote office to set up comprehensive media services in a matter of hours, without worrying about availability of broadband services and the need for laying down the lines. Wireless carriers offer flexible, usage-based data plans that can be catered to meet the needs and price points of the business customer. As WAN backup alternatives, 3G/3.7G wireless offer greater WAN diversity and resiliency because they are independent of the local terrestrial infrastructure. The Cisco 812 CiFi ISR enables businesses to stay productive during service provider downtime or a network failure. The dual 802.11n radio WLAN on the 812 CiFi ISR can serve as both a client and an access-point.
Retail stores migrating from dialup connections for point-of-sale transactions can use the 3G or 3.7G wireless WAN option on the Cisco 812 CiFi ISR for low-cost broadband access with the required security to comply with data security requirements. Multiple devices and applications can then be added to the store network to take advantage of the increased bandwidth and to enable secure mobility and enhance productivity.
Service providers and value-added resellers can use the Cisco 812 CiFi ISR as a platform to offer differentiated business-class security and wireless LAN (WLAN) services for small and medium-sized business (SMB) customers. Superior management capabilities such as Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) support with 3G MIB and Cisco Configuration Professional make remote management and provisioning easier.
Primary Features and Benefits
Table 1 lists the features and benefits of the Cisco 812 CiFi Integrated Services Router.
Table 1. Features and Benefits of Cisco 812 CiFi ISR
Single platform for multiple applications
• This single architecture is uniquely designed for deployments in multiple remote applications small branch offices, remote teleworker sites, temporary locations, retail, hotspots and extension to Enterprise location.
Increased performance to run concurrent services
• Performance allows customers to take advantage of broadband network speeds while running secure, concurrent data, voice, video, and wireless services.
• An integrated stateful and application inspection firewall provides network perimeter security and high-speed IP Security (IPsec); 3DES and AES encryption offer data privacy over the Internet.
• Intrusion prevention enforces security policies in a larger enterprise or service provider network.
• Content filtering offers category-based URL classification and blocking, thus providing increased productivity and better use of company resources.
• ScanSafe web security and filtering solution that requires no additional hardware or client software. Enables remote locations to intelligently redirect web traffic to the cloud to enforce granular security and acceptable use policies over user web traffic.
Integrated WLAN Access Point
• Integrates the Cisco 3500 802.11 a/b/g/n Access Point for mission-critical applications. By intelligently avoiding interference, the WLAN feature offers performance protection for 802.11n networks to help ensure reliable application delivery. The 2X3 MIMO AP comes with Cisco's CleanAir technology, the industry's first to create a self-healing, self-optimizing wireless network.
• With dual radios, the Cisco AP can serve both as an access point and as a client to a wireless mesh network concurrently,providing another source for WAN diversity.
• The AP ClientLink feature improves reliability and coverage for legacy devices
• Hardware readiness for Dual SIM provides for high reliability and cellular multi-homing support for HSPA and HSPA+ based networks.
Cisco IOS Mobile IP features
• Mobile IP offers transparent roaming for mobile networks, establishing a transparent Internet connection regardless of location or movement. This enables mission-critical applications to stay connected even when roaming between networks.
• Assigned IP addresses to the home network are maintained in private or public networks.
Cisco IOS Mobile network features
• Allows an entire subnet or mobile network to maintain connectivity to the home network while roaming.
Multiple wireless WAN technologies
• Supports the best wireless (3G or 3.7G) technology or network available.
Advanced IP Services in Standards-Based Cisco IOS Software
Advanced security features
• Authorization and authentication determines which individuals and devices have access to the network.
• Firewall protection provides perimeter security when using public networks.
• 3DES and AES encryption provides for highly secure VPNs when transmitting and receiving data over public networks.
• Intrusion detection monitors potential malicious activity within the network.
• Provides traffic precedence to delay-sensitive or prioritized applications.
• Facilitates low-latency routing of delay-sensitive applications such as streaming video.
• Allows efficient broadcast of data or video for increased situational awareness, multiuser communications, or surveillance applications.
Management and manageability
• Network managers can remotely manage and monitor networks with SNMP, Telnet, or HTTP, and locally through a console port.
• Support for extensive 3G based MIBs allows for centralized management of remote devices and gives network managers visibility and control of the network configurations at the remote site.
• Network managers can reset to a pre-designated golden image as well as configure an ISR through Cisco IOS Software or through an external reset button.
• Network managers can upgrade 3G or 3.7G firmware and router configurations remotely and confirm enhancement verification.
• Tight integration with Cisco IOS Software allows you to self-monitor the functions of the 3G or 3.7G modems and auto-recover from a failure.
• Cisco Configuration Professional provides a web-based tool that simplifies setup and deployment.
• Intuitive network management tools such as Cisco NCS Prime, CiscoWorks and HP OpenView are supported.
Table 2 provides 3G specifications for the Cisco 812 CiFi Integrated Services Router.
Table 2. 3G Specifications
3G or 3.7G modem form factor
Embedded (included with the router)
Important 3G features
• Auto-switch failover between primary and backup link
• Secure HTTP (HTTPS), FTP, and Telnet Authentication Proxy
• Dynamic and static port security
• Firewall stateful failover
• VRF-aware firewall
• Subscription-based content filtering with Trend Micro
• Support for Websense and SmartFilter
• Cisco IOS Software black and white lists
Integrated threat control:
• Intrusion prevention system (IPS)
• Control Plane Policing
• Flexible Packet Matching
• Network foundation protection
• Web security and web filtering solution that requires no additional hardware or client software .
• Cisco ScanSafe enables branch offices to intelligently redirect web traffic to the cloud to enforce granular security and acceptable use policies over user web traffic. With this solution, you can deploy market-leading web security quickly and easily to protect branch office users from web-based threats, such as viruses, while saving bandwidth, money, and resources.
• Low Latency Queuing (LLQ)
• Weighted Fair Queuing (WFQ)
• Class-Based WFQ (CBWFQ)
• Class-Based Traffic Shaping (CBTS)
• Class-Based Traffic Policing (CBTP)
• Policy-Based Routing (PBR)
• Class-Based QoS MIB
• Class of service (CoS)-to-differentiated services code point (DSCP) mapping
• Class-Based Weighted Random Early Detection (CBWRED)
• Network-Based Application Recognition (NBAR)
• Link fragmentation and interleaving (LFI)
• Resource Reservation Protocol (RSVP)
• Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP) header compression (cRTP)
• Differentiated Services (DiffServ)
• QoS preclassify and prefragmentation
• Hierarchical QoS (HQoS)
• Cisco Configuration Professional
• Cisco Configuration Express
• Cisco Configuration Engine support
• Cisco AutoInstall
• IP service-level agreement (IP SLA)
• Cisco IOS Embedded Event Manager (EEM)
• Cisco NCS Prime and CiscoWorks
• Cisco Security Manager
• Telnet, SNMPv3, SSH, CLI, and HTTP management
• RADIUS and TACACS+
• Out-of-band management with external modem through virtual auxiliary port
All Cisco 812G models: 2.01 x 8.95 x9.49 inches (51 x 227 x 241 mm)
All Cisco 812G models: 3.96 lbs (1.8 kg)
Mean time between failure (MTBF - Ground Benign)
C812G-CIFI+7-E-K9 and C812G-CIFI+7-N-K9
C812G-CIFI-V-A-K9 and C812G-CIFI-S-A-K9
Maximum platform power consumption
Cisco C812G CIFI
Environmental operating range
All Cisco 812G models: -13 to 140 F ( -25 to 60 C)
IP 20 per IEC 60529
Derate max 1.5 C per 1,000 ft above 5,000 ft
Maximum altitude: 10,000 ft
Standard safety certifications
• UL 60950-1, 2nd edition
• CAN/CSA C22.2 No. 60950-1, 2nd edition
• EN 60950-1, 2nd edition
• CB to IEC 60950-1, 2nd edition with all group differences and national deviations
• AS/NZS 60950-1, Edition 1 (Australia nad New Zealand)
EN55022/CISPR22, CFR 47 Part 15, ICES003, VCCI-V-3, AS/NZS CISPR22, CNS13438, EN300-386, EN61000-3-2, EN61000-3-3, and EN61000-6-1
EN55024/CISPR24, (EN61000-4-2, EN61000-4-3, EN61000-4-4, EN61000-4-5, EN61000-4-6, EN61000-4-11), and EN300-386
EN301 489-1, EN 301 489-7, and EN301 489-24
EN 301 908-1, EN 301 908-2, EN 301 511, 47 CFR Part 22, and 47 CFR Part 24
Maximum 85% non-condensing RH
The default configuration includes an external AC adapter that supplies up to 20 W of power. The AC power connection is a two-pin IEC 320 C8 receptacle. A mating AC power cord is supplied. The AC adapter does not provide chassis grounding to the router. A 1.3 meter long output cable connects to the router.
AC Power Adapter
• Input Voltage: 85-264 VAC 100-240 VAC nominal
• Maximum Power Consumption: 25W
• Maximum Output Power Rating: 20 W (5VDC, 4 Amps)
For Cisco ISR 812 CiFi ordering information, please visit the Cisco Ordering Home Page and refer to Table 5.
Table 5. Cisco 812 CiFi Integrated Services Router Ordering Information
Cisco 819H Hardened Integrated Services Routers 3G only
3.7G Secure IOS Router with GLOBAL HSPA+ Release 7 based on MC8705
3.7G and dual 802.11n radio WiFi Secure IOS Router with GLOBAL HSPA+ Release 7 based on MC8705 and -E WLAN domain
3.7G and dual 802.11n radio WiFi Secure IOS Router with GLOBAL HSPA+ Release 7 based on MC8705 and -N WLAN domain
3G and dual 802.11n radio WiFi Secure IOS Router with EVDO Rev A based on MC5728V and -A WLAN domain
3.7G and dual 802.11n radio WiFi Secure IOS Router with EVDO Rev A based on MC5728V and -A WLAN domain
Power Supplies and Mounting Brackets
AC Power Adapter for C812G SKUs
External POE+ power supply spliter
IOS SW and Licenses
Cisco 812 Series IOS Universal Data (Default)
Cisco 812 Series IOS Universal Data with No Payload Encryption
Cisco 812 Advanced IP Services License with No Payload Encryption (Default with NPE IOS Image)
Cisco 810 Advanced Security Software License with No Payload Encryption (Default with NPE IOS Image)
Cisco AP 802 Series IOS WIRELESS LAN LWAPP
Cisco AP 802 Series IOS WIRELESS LAN LWAPP RECOVERY
Cisco 810 WAAS Express (Default for all C812 SKUs).
For More Information
For more information regarding Cisco 800 Series Integrated Services Routers and options, contact your Cisco representative or go to http://www.cisco.com/go/isr.
Cisco and Partner Services for the Borderless Network Architecture
Enable the Cisco Borderless Network Architecture and the business solutions that run on it with intelligent, personalized services from Cisco and our partners. Backed by deep networking expertise and a broad ecosystem of partners, these services can help you plan, build, and run a network that enables you to expand geographically, embrace new business models, and promote business innovation. Whether you are looking to transition to a Cisco Borderless Network Architecture, solve specific business problems, or improve operational efficiency, we have a service that can help you get the most from your IT environment. For more information, please visit http://www.cisco.com/go/services.
Warranty Coverage and Technical Service Options
The Cisco 812 CiFi Integrated Services Router comes with the Cisco 1-year limited hardware warranty. Adding a contract for a technical service offering such as Cisco SMARTnet® Service provides benefits not available with warranty, including access to OS updates, Cisco.com online resources, and Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC) support services. Table 6 shows the available technical services.
• Unrestricted access to the extensive Cisco.com resources, communities, and tools
• Next-business-day, 8 x 5 x 4, 24 x 7 x 4, and 24 x 7 x 2 advance hardware replacement1 and onsite parts replacement and
• Ongoing operating system software updates within the licensed feature set2
• Proactive diagnostics and real-time alerts on Smart Call Home-enabled devices
Cisco Smart Foundation Service
• Next-business-day advance hardware replacement as available
• Business-hours access to SMB Cisco TAC (access levels vary by region)
• Access to Cisco.com SMB knowledge base
• Online technical resources through Smart Foundation Portal
• Operating system software bug fixes and patches
1Advance hardware replacement is available in various service-level combinations. For example, 8 x 5 x Next business day (NBD) indicates that shipment will be initiated during the standard 8-hour business day, 5 days a week (the generally accepted business days within the relevant region), with NBD delivery. Where NBD is not available, same-day shipment is provided. Restrictions apply; please review the appropriate service descriptions for details.
2Cisco operating system updates include maintenance releases, minor updates, and major updates within the licensed feature set.