One Infrastructure Supports Different Network Traffic Types
Cisco Virtual Machine Fabric Extender (VM-FEX) collapses virtual and physical networking into a single infrastructure. Data center administrators can now provision, configure, manage, monitor, and diagnose virtual machine network traffic and bare metal network traffic within a unified infrastructure.
The VM-FEX software extends Cisco fabric extender technology to the virtual machine with the following capabilities:
- Each virtual machine includes a dedicated interface on the parent switch
- All virtual machine traffic is sent directly to the dedicated interface on the switch
- The software-based switch in the hypervisor is eliminated
VM-FEX: One Network
Cisco VM-FEX technology collapses virtual switching infrastructure and physical switching infrastructure into a single, easy-to-manage environment. Benefits include:
- Simplified operations: Eliminates the need for a separate, virtual networking infrastructure
- Improved network security: Contains VLAN proliferation
- Optimized network utilization: Reduces broadcast domains
- Enhanced application performance: Offloads virtual machine switching from host CPU to parent switch application-specific integrated circuits (ASICs)
VM-FEX is supported on Red Hat Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) and VMware ESX hypervisors. Live migration and vMotion are also supported with VM-FEX.
Simplify and supercharge your converged infrastructure.
Create a single, highly available management domain with network connectivity and administrative capabilities that support all attached blades and chassis.
Cisco UCS standalone servers balance I/O, memory, and processing performance with fluctuating workloads.
Provide a unified, converged fabric over 10 Gigabit Ethernet for LAN, SAN, and cluster traffic.
Get efficient, cost-effective fabric extensibility with a single point of management. (3:42 min)
Cisco VM-FEX Technology
Microsoft SQL Server 2012 on Cisco UCS with iSCSI-Based Storage Access in VMware ESX Virtualization Environment: Performance Study
Virtualized SAP: Optimize Performance with Cisco Data Center VM-FEX and Red Hat Enterprise Linux ( PDF - 766 KB )