Build a Scalable OpenStack Cloud Environment
Cisco Virtual Networking Solution for OpenStack provides a proven enterprise-class virtual networking infrastructure that is easy to deploy, manage, and operate.
This solution offers:
- Reduced operational risk through a reliable infrastructure
- Simplified operational model due to tight integration with OpenStack
- Operational flexibility with a scalable switching and network services architecture
Features and Capabilities
The Cisco Virtual Networking Solution offers an extensible virtualization architecture that helps you prepare for the future needs of your network. It supports multiple hypervisors and multiple networking services, and is tightly integrated with multiple cloud management systems.
Cisco Virtual Networking Solution for OpenStack offers:
- Reliable virtualization-aware networking infrastructure
- Tight Integration with the OpenStack Neutron service
- Extensible services architecture through support for vPath
Advanced networking features include:
- Enhanced visibility and troubleshooting of virtual machine traffic through features like Cisco NetFlow, ERSPAN, and packet statistics
- Simplified virtual networking operations and manageability through features like SNMP, NETCONF, syslog, and a strong partner ecosystem
- Advanced switching and security through features like VXLANs, ACLs, and IGMP snooping
The Cisco Virtual Networking Solution for OpenStack is available in two editions. The Essential Edition is available at no cost for up to 20 physical hosts and includes all the basic switching features. The Advanced Edition adds Cisco VXLAN Gateway to the base functionality of Essential Edition.
This solution follows the same hypervisor-agnostic architecture used across other hypervisors (VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V).
The solution has multiple components:
- Cisco Nexus 1000V Virtual Ethernet Module (VEM) is deployed on each physical host managed by the solution
- Cisco Nexus 1000V Virtual Supervisor Module (VSM) is a virtual appliance that can be hosted on any KVM host, or on a Cisco Cloud Services Appliance.
- Cisco VXLAN Gateway is a virtual appliance that can be hosted on any KVM host