Cisco is introducing the new Cisco® Catalyst® 3K-X 10G Service Module for the Cisco Catalyst 3750-X and 3560-X switches. The new Cisco Service Module offers enhanced security and Flexible NetFlow (FNF) features on the uplink ports of the Cisco Catalyst 3750-X and 3560-X. Enabling FNF at the access switch makes sure of visibility and monitoring of all flows. In addition, the service module provides MACsec (802.1AE) hardware-based encryption for the network/uplink ports. The new Cisco Service Module has custom dedicated hardware for FNF monitoring and dedicated hardware for MACsec. Therefore, there is no effect on packet forwarding performance and latency.
Primary Features and Benefits
The new Cisco Service Module enables the following services:
• Line-rate (40G) Flexible NetFlow (supports V9) for security anomaly detection and network monitoring
– Understand applications running on the network and identify undesired applications, and P2P
– Provide granular local and aggregated campus view (top N applications and drill down)
– Identify top talkers (ports, users, applications) for application usage, productivity and asset utilization
– Enable security anomaly detection
– Understand the effects of network and application changes
• Line-rate (40G) MACsec encryption
– Supports MACsec link layer switch-to-switch security by using Cisco TrustSec® Network Device Admission Control (NDAC) and the Security Association Protocol (SAP) key exchange
– Switch-to-switch encryption provides data confidentiality between access and distribution switches, or dark fiber links within a building or between buildings
Additional Information for New Cisco Service Module
• Used in the 3750-X and 3560-X network module slot
• Hot swappable (plug-and-play)
• Supported only with IP Base or IP Services feature set
• Can be used with Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP) or SFP+ at 1G or 10G speeds
• Minimal Cisco IOS® Software release is 15.0(1)SE
• Use the service module on Cisco Catalyst 3750-X and 3560-X switches that are at least hardware Version ID (VID) 02 or above
• Uses a separate software bundle; always update a new service module to align with the IOS software version
Cisco Service Module is now orderable.
Table 1 provides ordering information for the new Cisco Service Module.
Table 1. Cisco Service Module Ordering Information