PDF(203.6 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:Nov 17, 2006
Product Bulletin No. 372774
® is introducing a new fixed-configuration, 24-port, 4-Gbps Fibre Channel switch for the Cisco
® MDS 9100 Series Multilayer Fabric Switches.
The new Cisco MDS 9124 24-Port Multilayer Fabric Switch (part number DS-C9124-K9) offers 24 line-rate, 4-Gbps ports. It supports the same Industry-leading Cisco MDS 9000 SAN-OS Software that is supported on the entire Cisco MDS 9000 family of products. The Cisco MDS 9124 (Figure 1) is ready to deploy with minimal configuration and requires no training to operate. The QuickConfig wizard simplifies and accelerates the initial fabric activation.
The Cisco MDS 9124 offers flexible, on-demand port activation; through software licensing, ports can be activated in 8-port increments. The default base switch has 8 active ports.
The Cisco MDS 9124 is competitively priced and supports enterprise-class features such as virtual storage area networks (VSANs), Port Channels, non-disruptive code upgrade, security (authentication, authorization, and accounting [AAA], role-based access control [RBACL], etc.), and extensive troubleshooting and diagnostic functions. By offering advanced storage networking capabilities at affordable price points, the Cisco MDS 9124 allows organizations of all sizes to enjoy the benefits of intelligent storage area networks (SANs).
The Cisco MDS 9124 can serve as the foundation for small, standalone SANs or as an edge switch in larger core-edge SAN infrastructures. The Cisco MDS 9124 is fully compatible with the Cisco MDS 9500 Series Multilayer Directors and the Cisco MDS 9200 and 9100 Series Multilayer Fabric Switches, providing transparent, end-to-end service delivery.
• Introduction of the new Cisco MDS 9124 Fibre Channel switch
• Introduction of a second (redundant) power supply for the Cisco MDS 9124
• Cisco MDS 9124 24-Port Multilayer Fabric Switch
• Cisco 300W Power Supply
SPECIFICATIONS OF NEW SWITCH
• The new switch runs the same operating system-Cisco MDS 9000 SAN-OS Software-that runs on all Cisco MDS 9000 family platforms.
• The Cisco MDS 9124 default base switch has 8 ports active and a single power supply.
• The on-demand port activation license allows users to activate ports in 8-port increments.
• The second power supply can be added for redundancy. The second power supply has a fan and so also provides power cooling redundancy.
• The minimum power supply required is 300W.
• Cisco MDS 9000 SAN-OS Software Release 3.1(1) or later is required.
Table 1 lists the specifications for the new chassis. Table 2 compares the Cisco MDS 9124 to the Cisco MDS 9120 20-Port Multilayer Fabric Switch and Cisco MDS 9020 Series Fabric Switch.
Table 1. Switch Specifications
Cisco MDS 9124
Dimensions (H x W x D)
1.75 x 17.5 x 16 in. (4.5 x 44.5 x 40.6 cm)
Weight (fully loaded)
18 lb (8 kg)
Redundant power supply
Short-wave Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP) optics
Table 2. Comparison of Existing Fibre Channel Switches
Cisco MDS 9124
Cisco MDS 9120
Cisco MDS 9020
Number of ports
Dual power supply
Yes (base switch has 8 active ports; license allows activation in 8-port increments)
SanOS 3.1(1) or later
SanOS 1.2 or later
Fabric Ware 3.0
Nondisruptive code upgrade
ORDER SCHEDULE AND LEAD TIME
• Available for order: December 2006 from Cisco; Original Storage Manufacturer (OSM) availability will be different
• Lead time: Two weeks
• First customer shipment (FCS): Last week of December 2006; OSM general availability will be different