The Cisco® MDS 9000 Secure Erase capability is a SAN fabric service that erases existing data stored on a logical unit number (LUN) in a storage array. Upon completion of the Cisco MDS 9000 Secure Erase operation, the LUN can be repurposed for another application or infrastructure tenant, or the disks containing the LUN can be disposed of with confidence.
Secure Erase Features
The Cisco MDS 9000 Secure Erase capability includes the following features:
• LUN erasure using the administrator's choice of algorithms recommended by leading defense and security agencies:
• Completion log documenting the algorithms performed on the LUN
• Easy configuration using the Cisco Fabric Manager GUI
• Support using the switch's command-line interface (CLI)
Before initiating a Cisco MDS 9000 Secure Erase operation, the SAN administrator must make sure that no servers are accessing the LUN, and that any data that must be preserved has been copied elsewhere.
Cisco MDS 9000 Secure Erase is supported on the following hardware service engines.
To use Cisco MDS 9000 Secure Erase on any of the supported service engines, Cisco MDS 9000 NX-OS Release 5.0(1) or later must be installed on the Cisco MDS 9000 Family switch containing the service engine.
The Cisco MDS 9000 Secure Erase feature is enabled by installing a license for the Cisco MDS 9000 Family Storage Services Enabler (SSE) package. The SSE package is licensed per service engine, and each license is tied to the chassis. The number of licenses required is equal to the number of service engines on which the intelligent fabric application is used.
The product IDs associated with the SSE package, which enables the Cisco MDS 9000 Secure Erase feature, are as follows:
• On the Cisco MDS 9000 18/4-Port MSM:
– M9200SSE184K9= Cisco Storage Services Enabler License for MSM-18/4 on MDS 9200, spare
– M9500SSE184K9= Cisco Storage Services Enabler License for MSM-18/4 on MDS 9500, spare
• On the Cisco MDS 9000 16-Port SSN:
– M92SSESSNK9= Cisco Storage Services Enabler License (1 engine) for SSN-16 on MDS 9200, spare
– M95SSESSNK9= Cisco Storage Services Enabler License (1 engine) for SSN-16 on MDS 9500, spare
• On the Cisco MDS 9222i base switch:
– M9222ISSE1K9= Cisco I/O Accelerator License for Cisco MDS 9222i base switch, spare