The Cisco® 10000 Series Performance Routing Engine 4 (PRE4) (Figure 1) addresses the demand for increased performance, scalability, and hierarchical quality of service (HQoS) to support diverse network-edge requirements for residential and business services markets.
The Cisco 10000 Series is a Service Provider edge aggregation router that offers a single solution for the diverse requirements of broadband aggregation, leased-line, Ethernet, ATM, and Frame Relay services. The Cisco 10000 Series provides customers with superior price/performance, industry-leading IP services, maximum platform scalability, and high availability.
Service providers require scalable networks to profitably meet their customers' requirements for better performance, more services, and higher reliability. Edge routers, such as the Cisco 10000 Series, are needed to manage higher-bandwidth requirements, more subscribers, and multiple service levels ranging from best-effort consumer Internet data services to high-priority business applications, voice, and video.
Figure 1. Cisco 10000 Series Performance Routing Engine 4
Designed to meet new requirements from service providers for high-capacity aggregation with sophisticated IP services, the Cisco 10000 Series PRE4 uses the latest generation of the Cisco patented Parallel Express Forwarding (PXF) technology. PXF is a parallel multiprocessor architecture that enables deployment of multiple IP services while maintaining peak performance throughput. The PRE4 also supports the flexible Hierarchal Queuing Framework (HQF) available on the Cisco 10000 Series Routers. The HQF implementation on the PRE4 allows three levels (class, logical, and physical) of scheduling to apply queuing and shaping (see Figure 2).
The Cisco 10000 Series PRE4 can be used to deliver triple-play services for both Ethernet and ATM transport networks. A service provider can use the flexibility and performance of the PRE4 to simultaneously deliver data, voice, and video to both residential and business customers.
Ethernet service examples include:
• Class - Multiple packet queues for data, voice, or video
• Logical - PPP or IP sessions grouped by Gold, Bronze, or Silver packages for bandwidth and QoS levels
• Physical - QinQ or dot1Q VLANs to separate consumer, business, and wholesale customers
ATM service examples include:
• Class - Multiple packet queues for data, voice, or video
• Logical - ATM virtual circuits grouped by Gold, Bronze, or Silver packages for bandwidth and QoS levels
• Physical - ATM virtual paths to separate consumer, business, and wholesale customers
Figure 2. Examples of Three-Level Scheduling with HQF and the Cisco 10000 Series PRE4
Key Features and Benefits
The Cisco 10000 Series PRE4 delivers both scalability improvements and new features:
• Provides up to 10 million packets per second (mpps) of processing power for increased throughput
• Delivers Hierarchal Queuing Framework (HQF) for up to three levels of service granularity
• Supports increased bandwidth through link bonding connections between the PRE4 and Cisco 10000 Series SPA Interface Processor (SIP)-600
– 11.2 Gbps transmit and receive (full duplex) to any SIP (total bandwidth distributed across installed shared port adapters [SPAs])
– 2.8 Gbps transmit and receive (full duplex) to each full-height line card
– 1.4 Gbps transmit and receive (full duplex) to each half-height line card
• Includes 800-MHz route processor with 4 GB ECC protected DRAM for new features and scalability improvements
• Delivers enhanced storage options for larger and more complex configurations
– 14 MB nonvolatile RAM (NVRAM)
– 128 MB Compact Flash - fixed internal memory
– 512 MB or 1 GB Compact Flash - front panel removable memory
• Uses Cisco patented PXF technology to provide maximum IP service flexibility without performance impact
The module meets the following Networking Equipment Building Standards (NEBS):
European Telecommunication Standards Institute (ETSI)
• ETSI 300 386-1 - Levels for equipment with a "high priority of service" that is installed in "locations other than telecommunication centers"
• ETSI 300 386-2:1997 - Levels for equipment with a "high priority of service" that is installed in "locations other than telecommunication centers"
• ETSI 300 132-2: December 1994 - Power supply interfaces at the input to telecommunications equipment Sections 4.8 and 4.9
Storage temperature: -38 to 150°F (-40 to 70°C)
Operating temperature, nominal: 41 to 104°F (5 to 40°C)
Operating temperature, short term: 23 to 131°F (-5 to 55°C)
Storage relative humidity: 5 to 95 percent relative humidity (RH)
Operating humidity, nominal: 5 to 85 percent RH
Operating humidity, short term: 5 to 90 percent RH
Operating altitude: -60 to 4000m (up to 2000m conforms to IEC/EN/UL/CSA 60950 requirements)
To place an order, visit the
Cisco Ordering Home Page. Table 2 lists the ordering information for the Cisco 10000 Series PRE4.
Table 2. Ordering Information
Cisco 10000 Series Performance Routing Engine 4
Cisco 10000 Series PRE Compact Flash Memory 512 MB
Cisco 10000 Series PRE Compact Flash Memory 1 GB
Cisco 10000 Series 8-slot chassis, 1 PRE4, 1 AC PEM bundle
Cisco 10000 Series 8-slot chassis, 2 PRE4, 2 AC PEM bundle
Cisco 10000 Series 8-slot chassis, 1 PRE4, 1 DC PEM bundle
Cisco 10000 Series 8-slot chassis, 2 PRE4, 2 DC PEM bundle
Service and Support
Cisco offers a wide range of services programs to accelerate customer success. These innovative services programs are delivered through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners, resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction. Cisco services help you to protect your network investment, optimize network operations, and prepare the network for new applications to extend network intelligence and the power of your business. For more information about Cisco Services, see
Cisco Technical Support Services or
Cisco Advanced Services.