Centralize Control with an Optimized Network
Cisco wireless controllers provide the visibility, scalability, and reliability needed for highly secure, enterprise-scale wireless networks.
- High scalability in a single rack-unit space with a centralized touch point
- High speed with 10 Gigabit Ethernet connectivity support: 2 x 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports
- High Availability with sub-second access point and client stateful failover
- High resiliency with redundant dual power supplies
- Architectural flexibility to support centralized controller switched architecture for campuses
- Support scalable, lean-branch deployments centralized in the private cloud or data center
- Save on rack space, power, and switch ports with fewer controllers to support multiple wireless branches
- Remotely configure wireless policy, management, and security settings
- High Availability with sub-second access point and client stateful fail-over
- Wire-speed 60 Gbps throughput with advanced network services
- Support for up to 1000 access points and up to 12,000 clients per controller
- Scalability with seamless roaming across 72,000 access points
- High resiliency with N+1 clustering, link aggregation groups, and redundant power supplies
- Cisco IOS with features such as Flexible Netflow, advanced QoS, and downloadable ACLs
- Integrate next-generation wireless networking technology into a highly scalable platform
- Help ensure a quality mobile experience with efficient roaming on any smart-mobile device with voice and video
- Support all mobility services, including ClientLink, VideoStream, CleanAir technology, and the OfficeExtend solution
- High Availability with sub-second access point and client stateful fail-over
- Converged access switch with integrated controller
- Up to 40 Gb of wireless capacity per switch (48-port models)
- Support for up to 25 access points and 1000 wireless clients on each switching entity (switch or stack)
- Three six-uplink models with 4 x Gigabit Ethernet, 2 x 10 Gigabit Ethernet, or 4 x 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports
- Dual-redundant, modular power supplies and three modular fans providing redundancy
- Entry-level wireless controller for managing wireless functions in small to midsize enterprises
- Simplified deployment and operation of Cisco Aironet access points and wireless networks
- Support for advanced services such as ClientLink, VideoStream, and CleanAir technologies
Integrated Controllers and Controller Modules
- Cisco Catalyst 3650 Series Switch
- Cisco Catalyst 3850 Series Switch
- Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series/7600 Series Wireless Services Module (WiSM)
- Cisco Wireless Controller Software for SRE
- Cisco Wireless LAN Controller Module
- Cisco Wireless Services Module 2 (WiSM2)
Prepare for the 2020 Workforce
Build the network infrastructure to support the demands of the next generation. (7:23 min)
Hospital Boosts Network Availability
CleanAir technology helps a hospital improve availability and detect radio interference.Read Case Study
Educators Offer BYOD Access
Cisco bring-your-own-device solutions help enable highly secure wireless access for students. (PDF - 316 KB)Read White Paper
Centrally Manage Access Points
Cisco Wireless Controllers simplify network deployment, operations, and management. (5:32 min)
Cisco wireless controllers offer a wide range of benefits to businesses of all sizes. These include:
Cisco wireless controllers reduce operational expenses by simplifying network deployment, operations, and management. Configure wireless policy, management, or security settings at any time through centralized provisioning and management. Respond to organizational growth with the Cisco scale-as-it-grows licensing model, available with all Cisco wireless controllers.
Optimize wireless network performance while lowering costs and increasing operational efficiency. Deploy wireless controllers to help centrally manage, secure, and configure access points throughout the organization.
Choose the controller that best suits your deployment:
Small to Medium-Sized Businesses
Take advantage of the Cisco 2500 Series Wireless Controllers, Virtual Wireless Controller, and the Cisco Catalyst 3650 Series Switch with integrated controller to manage wireless functions of your network. These controllers:
- Improve wireless performance of all mobile devices
- Support all Cisco mobility services, including ClientLink, Video Stream, and CleanAir technology
Enhance employee productivity by centrally controlling wireless coverage with the Cisco Virtual Wireless Controller and the Cisco Catalyst 3650 Series Switch with integrated controller, Cisco 2500 Series Wireless Controllers, and the Services Ready Engine of the Cisco Integrated Services Router, Generation 2 (ISR G2).
Medium and Large Single-Site Enterprises
Cost-effectively manage and strengthen security for your wireless network with:
- The high-performance Cisco 5500 Series Wireless Controller
- Cisco Wireless Service Module 2 (WiSM2) Controller for Catalyst 6500 Series Switches
- Cisco Catalyst 3850 Series Switch with integrated controller
As one of the industry's most deployed controllers, the 5500 Series Wireless Controller is designed for 802.11n performance, scalability, and optimal uptime.
Roaming capabilities help ensure consistent experience on any smart mobile device with voice and video applications. Alternatively, deploy the Cisco Wireless Service Module 2 (WiSM2) Controller on the Catalyst 6500 Series Switches to help enable system wide wireless functions.
Multisite Branch Wireless Deployments
Cost-effectively and centrally manage branch deployments with the Cisco Flex 7500 Series Wireless Controller. Its scalability lowers operating expenses by providing the visibility and control needed to manage thousands of wireless branches from a single location. Take advantage of consolidated remote management and avoid deploying extra local controllers at branch locations.
Cisco Unified Access helps to enable a superior user experience for any workspace with one policy, one management, and one network. You can centralize network management with:
Increase security with context-based control and user-specific services with a single source of business policy across wired, wireless, and remote access.
Improve operational efficiency and lower total ownership cost by managing the end-to-end user experience with comprehensive visibility.
Provide industry-leading resiliency, scale, and deployment flexibility with wired and wireless convergence, best-in-class RF, and always-on remote access.
Get More from Your Wireless Network
The Cisco Mobility Services Engine provides:
- Location services for advanced spectrum analysis and the detection and tracking and tracing of rogue devices, interferers, Wi-Fi clients, and RFID tags
- Advanced location services with Mobile Concierge for WLAN monetization and location analytics
- Adaptive Wireless Intrusion Prevention System (wIPS) Service for comprehensive, over-the-air threat detection, location, and mitigation
See the Cisco Wireless Portfolio At-A-Glance. (PDF - 575 KB)
*Not supported in Virtual Controller.
A borderless Cisco network helps to improve faculty and student productivity while reducing costs.
Cisco Wireless Controllers provide the visibility, scalability, and reliability your business needs to build highly secure, wireless networks. Learn about the wide array of controllers from Cisco supporting wireless functions in organizations of all sizes, from branch offices to small enterprise and large campus environments.
Access these resources for more information.
- Cisco Wireless Controllers (PDF - 514 KB)
Read an overview on the benefits of Cisco Wireless Controllers.
- Cisco CleanAir Technology (PDF - 493 KB)
Create a spectrum-aware, self-healing, and self-optimizing wireless network that mitigates the impact of wireless interference and offers performance protection for 802.11n networks.
- Cisco Wireless VideoStream Technology (PDF - 574 KB)
Simplify streaming video over the wireless network by enforcing video priority levels, controlling resource reservation, and delivering reliable multicast.
- Cisco Wireless ClientLink 2.0 Technology (PDF - 442 KB)
Cisco ClientLink 2.0 technology specifically focuses on mixed-client networks. Find out how it optimizes overall network capacity.
More on Mobility Solutions
- Wireless for the Midmarket
Learn how the bring-your-own-device (BYOD) trend is affecting businesses of all sizes, and how Cisco solutions can help.
- Wireless for the Service Providers
Provide a superior experience while delivering performance, intelligence, scalability, and reliability over an IP-based mobile network.
- Wireless for the Small Business
Find Cisco products that can help small businesses to increase office productivity and accelerate sales.