Cisco 1-Gbps Wideband SPA for Cisco uBR10012 Universal Broadband Router
PDF(132.2 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:June 20, 2006
The Cisco® 1-Gbps wideband shared port adapter (SPA) (Figure 1) for the Cisco uBR10012 Universal Broadband Router enables cable operators to offer high-speed broadband connectivity at scale and to enable new IP services. This product supports both the traditional DOCSIS® 1.x and 2.x cable modems and the emerging wideband solutions. The new Cisco 1-Gbps wideband SPA works in conjunction with the Cisco 5x20U Broadband Processing Engine to meet the ever-increasing needs of cable operators that are delivering IP-based data, voice, and video services to an ever-increasing number of subscribers.
Figure 1. Cisco 1-Gbps Wideband SPA
The distributed and scalable architecture of the Cisco uBR10012 Universal Broadband Router can be expanded using the Cisco 1-Gbps wideband SPA to meet the most challenging large-scale IP service needs of cable operators. More specifically, the Cisco 1-Gbps wideband SPA delivers critical cable modem termination system (CMTS) functions, such as:
• Capacity for 24 DOCSIS Annex B and 18 Annex A downstream channels
• Integrated DOCSIS Media Access Control (MAC) processing
• Connectivity to third-party edge quadrature amplitude modulations (QAMs) using dedicated dual Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
• On-board packet-bonding engine that stripes IP packets across multiple DOCSIS downstream channels
The Cisco 1-Gbps wideband SPA performs all traditional and wideband DOCSIS processing of egress packets, including BPI+ encryption. The wideband MPEG packets are aggregated and encapsulated using the DOCSIS 3.0 packet-bonding technique (that is, User Datagram Protocol [UDP], IP, and Ethernet protocols [that is, packets are DOCSIS over wideband MPEG over UDP over IP over Ethernet]).
Each Cisco uBR10012 chassis can support up to two Cisco 1-Gbps wideband SPAs by utilizing a carrier card that occupies slots 1 and 2 in the I/O portion of the chassis. Equally important, these SPAs work in conjunction with the existing Cisco 5x20U Broadband Processing Engines to more than double the available downstream bandwidth of the Cisco uBR10012 system.
Primary Features and Benefits
Table 1 describes product features and benefits.
Table 1. Product Features and Benefits
• Expands the current 30-Mbps service portfolio options up to 240 Mbps.
• Enables efficient video delivery over IP.
• Flexibility to offer a number of unique service tiers concurrently.
• Opportunity to scale services to meet new subscriber growth.
• Path to gigabit services.
Industry-leading port density
• Provides a flexible and easy option to more than the downstream capacity to the Cisco uBR10012.
• Dramatic reduction in per-port cost.
• Works in conjunction with the existing 5X20 RF line cards.
Utilizes the modular CMTS architecture
• Cost-effective option to scale DOCSIS deployments.
• Easy first step in moving to DOCSIS 3.0.
Supports third-party edge QAMs
• Uses existing investments.
Integrated MAC processing
• Delivers superior DOCSIS 3.0 performance.
Uses existing hybrid fiber-coaxial (HFC) infrastructure and DOCSIS provisioning
• Addresses ongoing challenge to reduce operating expenses.
Overlapping service groups
• Enables multiple fiber nodes to support custom bandwidth offerings.
• Modular port adapters have the ability to be supported across Cisco Systems
® routing platforms.
• Occupies one single half-height SPA slot (half slot)
• Dual Gigabit Ethernet interface with Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP) connectors
• Hot-swappable; either right-side Subslot (0 or 1) can be used
• Weight: 0.5 lb (0.23 kg)
• Dimensions (H x W x D): 6.75 x 0.8 x 7.28 in. (17.5 x 2.03 x 18.49 cm)
• Unit power: 20W
Reliability and Availability
• Mean time between failure (MTBF): >500,000 hr
• Operating altitude: -197 to 13,123 ft (-60 to 4000m)
• Conforms to IEC/EN/UL/CSA 60950 requirements up to 2000m
• Storage temperature: -4 to 149°F (-20 to 65°C)
• Operating temperature, nominal: 41 to 104°F (5 to 40°C)
• IEC 68-2-14, IEC 68-2-33: Nonoperating temperature shock
– One SPA status LED (amber/green): off indicates that power is off; solid amber details that the wideband SPA power is on and good, and the SPA is being configured; solid green indicates the wideband SPA is ready and operational.
– One status LED for each Gigabit Ethernet interface(amber/green): off indicates that the Gigabit Ethernet port has not been enabled by software; solid amber indicates that the Gigabit Ethernet port is enabled by software but there is no valid Ethernet link; solid green indicates the port is enabled by software and there is a valid Ethernet link.
Gigabit Ethernet Optical Connectivity Options
• Short-wavelength (SX) optics: support a maximum distance of 1804 ft (550m).
• Long-wavelength (LX) optics: support a maximum distance of 6.2 mi (10 km).
• Extended distance (ZX) optics: support a maximum distance of 43.5mi (70 km).
• IF-MIB (RFC-2233)
• ENTITY-MIB (RFC-2737)
• MIBII (RFC1213)
• EtherLike-MIB (RFC-2665)
• IGMP-MIB (RFC-2993)
• RMON-MIB (RFC-1757)
• SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB (RFC-2571)
• SNMP-MPD-MIB (RFC-2572)
• SNMP-NOTIFICATION-MIB (RFC-2573)
• SNMP-TARGET-MIB (RFC-2573)
• SNMP-USM-MIB (RFC-2574)
• SNMP-VACM-MIB (RFC-2575)
DOCSIS and EuroDOCSIS MIB
• DOCS-IF-MIB (v2 Rev04)
• DOCS-CABLE-DEVICE-MIB (RFC-2669)
• DOCS-BPI-PLUS-MIB (Rev 5)
• DOCS-QOS-MIB (Rev 4)
• DOCS-SUBMGT-MIB (Rev 2)
Cisco DOCSIS MIBs
Cisco generic MIBs
Product System Requirements and Compatibility
• Cisco uBR10012 chassis.
• Cisco uBR10012 Performance Routing Engine 2 is required.
• The wideband SPA is supported with all MC5X20x RF line cards.
• The Cisco uBR10012 1-Gbps wideband SPA requires a carrier (part number UBR10-2XDS-SIP) for compatibility with the Cisco uBR10012 chassis.
Table 2 details the product part numbers for the Cisco wideband SPA.
Table 2. Part Numbers for Cisco 10012 1-Gbps Wideband SPAs and Associated Options
Product Part Number
1-Gbps wideband SPA for the CMTS
1-Gbps wideband SPA for the CMTS, spare
2 bays I/O slot SPA interface processor
2 bays I/O slot SPA interface processor, spare
Blank cover for regular SPA
Blank cover for regular SPA, spare
1000BASE-SX pluggable transceiver
1000BASE-SX pluggable transceiver, spare
1000BASE-LX pluggable transceiver
1000BASE-LX pluggable transceiver, spare
1000BASE-ZX pluggable transceiver
1000BASE-ZX pluggable transceiver, spare
All Cisco uBR10012 1-Gbps wideband half-height SPAs require a carrier (product number UBR10-2XDS-SIP). Each carrier holds two half-height line cards; a blank (product number SPA-BLANK) is shipped with any carrier with open half-height SPA slots.
Cisco recommends that customers who order a spare carrier or half-height SPAs also order enough blanks so that the configured system has no empty slots.
Service and Support
Cisco offers a wide range of services programs to accelerate customer success. These innovative services programs are delivered through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners, resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction. Cisco services help you to protect your network investment, optimize network operations, and prepare the network for new applications to extend network intelligence and the power of your business. For more information about Cisco Services, see
Cisco Technical Support Services.