The Cisco Nexus® SmartNIC+ V5P is an FPGA-based network application card, specifically optimized for low-latency and high-density data center applications.
The device is built around a powerful 16nm Xilinx Virtex UltraScale Plus (VU5P) FPGA with up to 1.3M logic cells, packaged into a compact, production ready, half-height half-length, PCIe 8x form factor.
An extensive memory hierarchy for complex, memory intensive applications.
The Xilinx VU5P FPGA includes 36Mbit of block ram and 133Mbit of UltraRAM on chip for low-latency access. The Cisco Nexus SmartNIC+ V5P incorporates an additional 28MB of QDR IV SRAM (30ns access latency using Cisco Nexus QDR controller IP1), and 9GB of DDR4 DRAM for high throughput access. The DRAM is accessible via a 72 bit wide bus for maximum performance.
Dual QSFP28 ports provide up to 200Gbps of full duplex connectivity.
The dual QSFP28 cages offer high-speed 2x40GbE or 2x100GbE connectivity. Using QSFP/QSFP28 breakout cables expands the connectivity to 8x10GbE/25GbE connections. This high-density connectivity enables a range of high-performance, directly connected network applications, bypassing the need for traditional switching and multiplexing requirements.
Cisco is a specialist in low-latency, high-performance FPGA IP cores.
We provide to you the same high-speed, low-latency IP blocks used in our industry-leading products, including:
● 10GbE PCS/MAC with ultra-low latency performance.
● Low-latency, high-throughput PCIe (Gen 3) DMA engine.
● Timing, signaling, and register interfaces, including I2C
● Packet field extractor and frame multiplexer (with source code)
● Asynchronous FIFO and CDC modules (with source code)
Several example designs are also provided to help get design work started and completed quickly.
A standard Linux driver as well as transparent TCP and UDP acceleration and low-level packet access.
Like all SmartNICs, the Cisco Nexus SmartNIC+ V5P functions out of the box as a high-performance network adapter. The entire SmartNIC software library is available including the sockets application acceleration system and the libSmartNIC direct userspace accesses API. LibSmartNIC provides easy support for low-latency packet TX/RX, managing the FPGA state (through register access), and low-latency TCP/UDP-delegated sending operations for hybrid hardware/software applications. The Cisco Nexus SmartNIC+ V5P also supports fast and easy firmware updates (without requiring reboots), and vital statistics monitoring (temperatures, voltages, light levels, fans, etc.).
Cisco Nexus SmartNIC+ V5P
16nm Xilinx Virtex UltraScale+ FPGA:
● XCVU5P-2 (A2104)
● 1.3M System Logic Cells, 1.2M CLBs
● 36Mb total block RAM
● 133Mb UltraRAM
● 16x 32.75Gb/s transceivers (8 connected to QSFPs, 8 connected to PCIe)
QDR IV SRAM:
● Dual 36-bit interface, up to 1066MHz
● 30ns read using Cisco IP
● 72-bit interface, up to 2666MHz
● 161MHz crystal
● 10MHz temperature compensated crystal
● 10MHz – 750Hz programmable (I2C) crystal
● PPS in/out via MCX connector, 3.3V CMOS, selectable 50ohm termination
● 8x 1.8V CMOS GPIO via header
● 2x bi-color port LEDs
● 12V external supply (GPU adapter) for >25W designs
● Software-based PCIe flash programming utility
● Easy access, front panel USB to JTAG port
● JTAG header on board (auto select)
● 1Gbit onboard flash (space for 2x full images)
PCS/MAC (TX + RX)2:
● 6.2ns (min) @ 10Gbps
● 1Gbps/100Mbps also supported
● Packet trigger, 34ns (min)2
● Full loopback, 50ns (min)
Software latency (raw frame, ½RTT)1:
● 64 bytes – 810ns
● 256 bytes – 1030ns
● Low-profile PCI Express Card
● 168x69mm (6.6x2.7in)
● PCIe x8 Gen 3 @ 8.0 GT/s per lane
● 100GbE, 50GbE, 40GbE, 25GbE, 10GbE, 1GbE, 100M Fast Ethernet
● Fiber (100GBASE-SR4, 100GBASE-LR4, 40GBASE-SR4, 40GBASE-LR4), QSFP/28 Direct Attach breakout
● Linux x86_64 (all distributions)
Information about Cisco’s environmental sustainability policies and initiatives for our products, solutions, operations, and extended operations or supply chain is provided in the “Environment Sustainability” section of Cisco’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Report.
Reference links to information about key environmental sustainability topics (mentioned in the “Environment Sustainability” section of the CSR Report) are provided in the following table:
Information on product material content laws and regulations
Information on electronic waste laws and regulations, including products, batteries, and packaging
Cisco makes the packaging data available for informational purposes only. It may not reflect the most current legal developments, and Cisco does not represent, warrant, or guarantee that it is complete, accurate, or up to date. This information is subject to change without notice.
Flexible payment solutions to help you achieve your objectives
Cisco Capital® makes it easier to get the right technology to achieve your objectives, enable business transformation and help you stay competitive. We can help you reduce the total cost of ownership, conserve capital, and accelerate growth. In more than 100 countries, our flexible payment solutions can help you acquire hardware, software, services and complementary third-party equipment in easy, predictable payments. Learn more.