PDF(358.7 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:November 12, 2009
The documentation set for this product strives to use bias-free language. For the purposes of this documentation set, bias-free is defined as language that does not imply discrimination based on age, disability, gender, racial identity, ethnic identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, and intersectionality. Exceptions may be present in the documentation due to language that is hardcoded in the user interfaces of the product software, language used based on RFP documentation, or language that is used by a referenced third-party product. Learn more about how Cisco is using Inclusive Language.
Automated Discovery, Event Management, and Root-Cause Analysis for Communications Networks
Cisco Info Center OMNIbus and Network Manager
Integrated discovery, event management, and root-cause analysis (RCA) with a customizable, web-based interface and integrated architecture facilitate end-to-end visualization, navigation, security, and reporting (real time and historical) across Cisco and third-party equipment for consolidated operations management in a single display (Figure 1).
Figure 1. Operator View of Cisco Info Center OMNIbus and Network Manager
® Info Center OMNIbus and Network Manager (Cisco Info Center ONM):
• Help increase the availability and performance of critical business services through advanced correlation, automated diagnostics, and root-cause analysis
• Drive operations efficiency by rapidly isolating the root causes of network downtime-right down to the node and port levels-and addressing problems before they become outages that hamper business
• Help minimize unnecessary hardware investments and network overbuild by obtaining visibility into unused ports and recovering lost capacity and physical assets
• Help optimize customer service and satisfaction by proactively identifying issues that could affect services
Designed to scale from the smallest to the largest, most-complex multivendor environments, Cisco Info Center OMNIbus and Network Manager software, based on the market leading Tivoli
® technology from IBM
®, is designed to help organizations improve network visibility and drive reliability and performance. You can use the software to collect and distribute Layer 1 through Layer 3 network data-and thereby build and maintain knowledge about physical and logical network connectivity. With accurate network visibility, you can efficiently and effectively visualize and manage complex networks-and, more importantly, the services delivered across them. Cisco Info Center ONM software easily integrates with operational support systems and other mission-critical workflow applications.
Cisco Info Center software also provides valuable advanced fault correlation and diagnosis capabilities. Real-time root-cause analysis helps operations personnel quickly identify the source of network faults and speed problem resolution.
Features and Benefits
• Root-cause analysis: Network faults are visualized with real-time analysis of the root cause, reducing the time needed to troubleshoot network issues. Consequential fault events are automatically correlated to the root-cause fault event in real time.
• Manager of managers: This feature allows data from multiple tools to be managed under a single console in Cisco OMNIbus, improving the effectiveness of the network operations environment.
• Real-time management views: Operations staff and executives have "anytime, anywhere" access to device and network status and actionable information through the Cisco Info Center Webtop GUI. Highly customizable dashboards offer a wide range of images, maps, charts, tables, and event lists to help provide immediate visibility of the network status.
Obtain an Accurate Picture of Layer 2 and Layer 3 Network Devices and Their Connectivity
Cisco Info Center Network Manager IP Edition automatically discovers IP networks and gathers and maps topology data to deliver a complete picture of Layer 2 and Layer 3 devices. It captures not only the overall inventory, but also the physical, port-to-port connectivity between devices. Cisco Info Center Network Manager IP Edition captures logical connectivity information, including VPN, VLAN, ATM, and Frame Relay. Furthermore, it offers built-in support for capturing information from Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) services, including Layer 2 and Layer 3 VPNs.
This discovery engine monitors network resources for real-time status and continually updates its database with new information as the network changes. Automatic network discovery provides an ideal alternative to manual processes because it helps minimize the time and cost associated with maintaining accurate asset knowledge.
Accurately Discover and Map Layer 1 Network Topology
Cisco Info Center Network Manager Transmission Edition automatically discovers Layer 1 transmission networks-deepening the visibility into Layer 2 and Layer 3 that the software provides. Your organization can use the accurate network picture to help reconcile offline systems-such as inventory, billing, and provisioning systems-and reduce capital expenditures and operating expenses. Cisco Info Center Network Manager Transmission Edition can be purchased separately from ONM and can be implemented with ONM or with Cisco Info Server.
Cisco Info Center Network Manager Transmission Edition collects inventory, physical connectivity, and logical connectivity information for SONET and dense wavelength-division multiplexing (DWDM).
Cisco Info Center ONM software discovers, models, and maps device-to-device network relationships. It also builds and maintains a knowledgebase of network connectivity that enables advanced fault correlation diagnosis and asset control (Figure 2).
Figure 2. Cisco Info Center ONM Network View Map
Facilitate Real-Time Root-Cause Analysis and Speed Problem Resolution
Cisco Info Center ONM software can also help your staff identify the root causes of network downtime, and thereby can significantly reduce the time it takes to resolve network faults. When problems occur, the software automatically navigates the operator through the appropriate network topology map to the root problematic device. Once there, the network operator can immediately view data about other affected devices and end-user systems.
Cisco Info Center ONM software also proactively detects progressive service degradation and, when a complex set of symptoms is identified, communicates potential problems. The software analyzes Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) MIB information from industry-standard SNMP devices to pinpoint the underlying cause of device problems. It also provides real-time, device-specific diagnoses-explaining why a device deviates from normal behavior and recommending a solution.
Use a Highly Scalable and Flexible Solution
Cisco Info Center ONM software offers the scalability required to handle large, complex, fast-growing networks. Its adaptive design and functionality help organizations to quickly assimilate new technologies-and thereby support large incremental subnets or network build-outs.
Furthermore, the software offers great flexibility by supporting a variety of polling and data-gathering techniques. Its modular design means that you can add custom polling methods to support additional protocols and technologies.
Automate Topology Maintenance
Network maps are automatically generated and maintained by Cisco Info Center ONM software. As the network changes, the software dynamically updates the topology database and maps, without manual intervention. By automating map maintenance, you help dramatically reduce administrative costs-and can save substantial time and effort.
• Cisco Info Center ObjectServer, the high-speed, memory-resident database
• Cisco Info Center Webtop, the graphical user interface (licensed separately)
• Cisco Info Center Network Manager for IP, for discovery and root-cause analysis
For more information on Cisco Info Center and ordering details, please contact the product marketing group at