Published Date March 23, 2010
THIS FIELD NOTICE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS AND DOES NOT IMPLY ANY KIND OF GUARANTEE OR WARRANTY, INCLUDING THE WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY. YOUR USE OF THE INFORMATION ON THE FIELD NOTICE OR MATERIALS LINKED FROM THE FIELD NOTICE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. CISCO RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE OR UPDATE THIS FIELD NOTICE AT ANY TIME.
Revision Date Comment 1.0 23-MAR-2010 Initial public release
Products Affected CS-MARS-25 CS-MARS-25-K9 CS-MARS-25R-K9
In some third party hard drives installed on the CS-MARS 25/25R appliances, there is a higher rate of failure due to a mismatch between the hard drive and the firmware running to support it.
If you received a CS-MARS 25/25R appliance with a serial number between FTX1235xxxx - FTX1308xxxx, please follow the steps below to determine if your firmware needs to be updated. Note that only a small subset of the above products are affected by this issue.
Hard drives might fail after just a few months of operation during some power cycle operations, leading to data corruption and requiring RMA of the CS-MARS 25/25R.
- Download the cs-mars_25R-25_fw_upgrade_SN06.iso image from http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/cs-mars-misc, and burn the image on a CD.
- Insert the CD into the DVD drive of the CS-MARS 25/25R.
- Reboot the CS-MARS 25/25R.
- Once the readme file appears, press F10 to continue.
- At the menu screen, press S to scan the bus. This should show the following:
Hard disk drive Model# Serial number FirmwareIf the hard disk firmware version displays SN05, then press any key to continue, and go to Step 6. Otherwise, go to Step 10 to continue.
ST3250310NS xxxxxx SN05
- Press A to update the hard disk firmware.
- Once the firmware update is complete, press any key to continue. The CS-MARS box is powered down.
- Power up the system with the CD in the DVD drive.
- Repeat steps 1-5 above to verify that the hard disk firmware version has changed to SN06.
- Press any key to continue.
- Press Z for Done and then press any key to continue. At this point, the CS-MARS appliance powers down.
- Power up the CS-MARS appliance, and remove the CD from the DVD drive.
How To Identify Hardware Levels
See Workaround/Solution section of this field notice for procedures to identify hardware levels.
For More Information
If you require further assistance, or if you have any further questions regarding this field notice, please contact the Cisco Systems Technical Assistance Center (TAC) by one of the following methods:
Receive Email Notification For New Field Notices
Cisco Notification Service—Set up a profile to receive email updates about reliability, safety, network security, and end-of-sale issues for the Cisco products you specify.