March 24, 2010
THIS FIELD NOTICE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS AND DOES NOT IMPLY ANY KIND OF GUARANTEE OR WARRANTY, INCLUDING THE WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY. YOUR USE OF THE INFORMATION ON THE FIELD NOTICE OR MATERIALS LINKED FROM THE FIELD NOTICE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. CISCO RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE OR UPDATE THIS FIELD NOTICE AT ANY TIME.
Revision Date Comment 1.0 24-MAR-2010 Initial Public Release
Products Affected CS-MARS-110 CS-MARS-110-K9 CS-MARS-110R-K9 CS-MARS-210 CS-MARS-210-K9 CS-MARS-GC2 CS-MARS-GC2-K9 CS-MARS-GC2R-K9
In some third-party hard drives installed on the CS-MARS 110/110R/210/GC2/GC2R appliances, there is a higher rate of failure due to a mismatch between the hard drive and the firmware running to support it.
If you received a CS-MARS 110/110R/210/GC2/GC2R appliance with a serial number between FTX1224xxxx - FTX1332xxxx, please perform these steps to determine if your firmware needs to be updated.
The hard drives may fail after a few months operation during a power cycle, leading to data corruption and requiring RMA of the HDD for the CS-MARS 110/110R/210/GC2/GC2R appliance.
Note: Run these steps from the console via a monitor and keyboard connection to the CS-MARS:
Identify whether you have one of the hard drives in question.
You can determine whether you have hard drives that must be updated by:
Running the raidstatus command from the pnadmin CLI. Reference the hard drive firmware version, located to the right of the HDD Model number (of the format STXXX) in the raidstatus command output. If the firmware version reads "SN05", a firmware upgrade is required.
PD Status Size & Block Model Serial#
Online 476940MB [0x3a386030 Sectors] ATA ST3500320NS SN05 9QMBVWET
Hit any key to exit the raidstatus display to get back to the prompt.
Another check is to see if your CS-MARS 110/110R/210/GC2/GC2R appliance has a serial number between FTX1224xxxx - FTX1332xxxx. If so, perform these steps to update the firmware:
- Upgrade the firmware on the CS-MARS 110/110R/210/GC2/GC2R appliance.
- Download the cs-mars_2U_fw_upgrade_SN06.iso image from http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/cs-mars-misc and burn the image to a CD.
- Insert the CD into the DVD-CD drive of the CS-MARS and type reboot at the prompt to restart the appliance.
- Select Upgrade Hard Drive Firmware by typing 1 and selecting Enter.
- It will take approximately 15-20 minutes to update the RAID firmware and the hard drive firmware for all hard drives in the CS-MARS.
- For each hard drive, you will see 'Exit Code: 0x00' as the firmware is successfully updated.
- When the updates are complete, the program will exit to a prompt that looks like R:\>.
- Reboot the CS-MARS appliance. This can be performed by:
- Ctrl-Alt-Del from the keyboard
- Press the reset button (//) on the CS-MARS appliance.
- While the CS-MARS is rebooting, remove the CD from the DVD-CD drive.
- To verify the firmware upgrade, allow the CS-MARS to boot up completely and run the raidstatus command from the pnadmin CLI.
The RAID firmware version should be 1.12.260-0687 and the version of each hard drive should be SN06.
- You may need to select [Enter] on the console to advance to the next output screen.
How To Identify Hardware Levels
See Work Around section of this field notice for procedures to identify hardware levels.
For More Information
If you require further assistance, or if you have any further questions regarding this field notice, please contact the Cisco Systems Technical Assistance Center (TAC) by one of the following methods:
Receive Email Notification For New Field Notices
Cisco Notification Service—Set up a profile to receive email updates about reliability, safety, network security, and end-of-sale issues for the Cisco products you specify.