This article is one in a series to assist in the setup, troubleshooting, and maintenance of Cisco Small Business products (formerly Linksys Business Series).
Q. Why does an email not appear in the mail tracking logs of ProtectLink Gateway Email Protection?A.
The mail tracking logs determine the status of emails sent through ProtectLink Gateway Email Protection. However, there are instances wherein there are no results returned when searching through the mail tracking logs. The possible reasons are the following:
- The email did not reach ProtectLink Gateway Email Protection.
- The IP address of the sending mail transfer agent (MTA) is listed in the Email Reputation Services (ERS) databases, and the searched recipient is not the first recipient during the SMTP handshake.
- firstname.lastname@example.org sent an email to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
- In this situation, ProtectLink Gateway Email Protection will return a 550 or 450 error after the first RCPT TO command and will only log email@example.com in the mail tracking database.
- ProtectLink Gateway Email Protection's actions prevent the second RCPT TO command from taking place, thus the second email address will not be logged.
For more efficient searching, we recommend that you do the following:
Search for the email address of the sender to determine if ERS blocked the sender.
If ERS did not block the sender, add the email address of the recipient to make the query more specific.
The Cisco Support Community is a forum for you to ask and answer questions, share suggestions, and collaborate with your peers.
Refer to Cisco Technical Tips Conventions for information on conventions used in this document.