Cisco PS2014 MPEG-1
A/V Encoder and
Cisco PS2015B 4:2:0 MPEG-2
Cisco Video Networking Systems are the ultimate solution for customers who need to distribute reliable, high-quality video services over a digital broadband network.
The Cisco PS2014 MPEG-1 Audio/Video (A/V) Encoder and Cisco PS2015B 4:2:0 MPEG-2 A/V Encoder are part of the Cisco VN 2900 Video Networking System-a high-density video encoder and decoder that receives audio and video streams, performs video processing, and adapts the streams to any standards-based digital broadband network.
The Cisco PS2014 Encoder provides real-time MPEG-1 audio and video encoding at data rates up to 4 Mbps, which is ideal for PC-based TV applications. The Cisco PS2015B Encoder provides real-time MPEG-1 and 4:2:0 MPEG-2 MP@ML audio and video encoding at data rates up to 15 Mbps, which is ideal for TV content redistribution and video courier applications.
The Cisco PS2014 and PS2015B Encoders receive separate analog or digital audio and video streams from the system network. Any data in the Vertical Blanking Interval (VBI) is removed from video input and is passed through the system for MPEG video compression. As the video signals are compressed, up to two channels of analog or digital audio signals are separately MPEG-compressed. The system then recombines the audio and video streams and sends them to the backplane.
The Cisco PS2014 and PS2015B Encoders automatically detect and support NTSC and PAL video standards and accept both analog composite video and S-Video inputs. The Cisco PS2014 and PS2015B Encoders encode two channels of analog audio that are compliant with MPEG-1 Layer 2 and provide complete control over the sample bit rate.
The Cisco PS2014 and PS2015B Encoders extract closed captioning information from the video signal for inclusion in the compressed video stream and provide full control over the group of picture (GOP) structure and image resolution. The Cisco PS2014 and PS2015B Encoders also have a Voltage Control Oscillator (VCXO) precision-variable clock that ensures audio and video frames are not dropped or duplicated in the encoded stream.
For balanced to unbalanced audio conversion, the Cisco PS2600 XLR Audio Input Cable Adapter is available as an option on both Encoders. The Cisco PS2600 XLR Audio Input Cable Adapter accepts 600-Ohm audio and converts it to 15-Ohm single-ended audio. A transformer isolates the input from the output to prevent ground loop interference between equipment. The balanced input is terminated into 600-Ohms and passes through a passive attenuation pad before connecting to the transformer that drives the 15-Ohm single-ended output.
A serial port is available on the Cisco PS2014 and PS2015B Encoders for auxiliary data insertion and local control, and a local processor is responsible for most operations on the module.
Table 1 is a summary of the Cisco PS2014 and PS2015B Encoder features and benefits.
Table 1: Cisco PS2014 and PS2015B Encoder Feature and Benefit Summary
MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 (4:2:0 MP@ML) encoding
High-quality audio and video encoding
Automatic NTSC/PAL and analog/composite detection
Worldwide video standard support
Closed captioning support
Superior closed captioning extraction and encoding
Desktop video application support (Cisco PS2014)
Seamless integration into a variety of networked, PC-based applications, such as Cisco IP/TV® Solution, iMagicTV pcVu and Oracle OVS
Figure 1: Cisco PS2014 MPEG-1 A/V Encoder and Cisco PS2015B 4:2:0 MPEG-2 A/V Encoder
- Composite analog video (NTSC/PAL)
- BNC connector for composite video
- Mini-DIN connector for S-Video
- Cisco PS2015B: 4:2:0 MP@ML MPEG-2 (ISO-13818-2)
- MPEG-1 (ISO 11172-2)
- Cisco PS2014: Up to 4 Mbps
- Cisco PS2015B: Up to 15 Mbps
- 3:2 inverse telecine support
- Closed captioning (NTSC VBI line 21)
- Automatic NTSC/PAL and analog/composite detection
- Video scaler
- Desktop video application support (Cisco PS2014)
- Programmable luma bandwidth, edge enhancement, brightness and gamma correction
- Remote system management and control through Cisco VN Unit Manager
- Unbalanced stereo
- Two RCA connectors
- Optional XLR balanced to RCA unbalanced stereo input through the Cisco PS2600 XLR Audio Input Cable Adapter
- XLR female input connector
- RCA straight plug output connector
- Input signal balanced-600 terminated +18 dBm or 6.15 Vrms maximum signal input level
- +16 dBm full-scale signal level
- 600-Ohm input impedance
- 18-in. cable
- +90 dB signal to noise ratio
- -80 dB Total Harmonic Distortion at 1 kHz
- 20 Hz to 20 kHz frequency response
- MPEG-1 Layer 2
- 32 kbps to 441 kbps
- Mono, stereo, dual channel, joint stereo
- 48 kHz
- 44.1 kHz
- 32 kHz
- VCXO precision-variable clock
- Upgradable in-field Flash memory
- CompactPCI industry standard