The Cisco® ONS 15540 ESPx is a highly modular, flexible, and scalable next-generation dense-wavelength-division-multiplexing (DWDM) platform that integrates data networking, storage networking, SONET, and SDH technologies over an ultrahigh-bandwidth, intelligent, optical infrastructure. The Cisco ONS 15540 ESPx 10 Gigabit Ethernet transponder modules further extend this scalability by increasing the carrying capacity per wavelength. The addition of the 10 Gigabit Ethernet transponders allows the Cisco ONS 15540 ESPx to scale from 2.5 Gbps to 10 Gbps, effectively and efficiently accommodating the growing demands in today's optical DWDM metropolitan-area (metro) networks.
Cisco ONS 15540 ESPx
- Scalable bandwidthIn addition to the support for the common storage, data, and legacy services from 16 Mbps to 2.5 Gbps on the Cisco ONS 15540 ESPx today, the 10 Gigabit Ethernet transponder module further increases the bandwidth per wavelength by a factor of 4.
- CapacityThe 10 Gigabit Ethernet transponder modules allow customers to scale the network capacity from a 2.5-Gbps-based network to a 10-Gbps infrastructure. At 32 wavelengths over a single pair of fiber, customers can efficiently grow the network backbone up to 320 Gbps.
- 10GBASE-LR standards basedThe 10 Gigabit Ethernet transponder client interface is based on the IEEE 802.3ae 10GBASE-LR standards. The standards-based client interface ensures full interoperability with the 10 Gigabit Ethernet LAN physical layer (PHY) interfaces becoming common in next-generation enterprise switches and routers.
- Cost-effectivenessThe 10 Gigabit Ethernet transponder module provides significant cost savings over the 2.5-Gbps solution for aggregated traffic.
- Protection optionsThe Cisco ONS 15540 10 Gigabit Ethernet transponder module can be deployed with optical, splitter-based protection or 1 + 1 protection to provide enhanced service protection by sending the optical trunk signal simultaneously over both east and west fiber paths.
- Data networkingThe 10 Gigabit Ethernet transponder module enables the Cisco ONS 15540 to extend Gigabit Ethernet services over a 10-Gbps metro DWDM backbone for high-bandwidth, intercampus networking applications. By networking 10 Gigabit Ethernet IP traffic from end to end in its native Ethernet format at wire speed and with full operations, administration, and management (OAM) capabilities, enterprises can avoid the added complexity and cost of protocol conversion and rate adaptation into another metropolitan- or wide-area network (MAN or WAN) protocol.
- Performance monitoringThe 10 Gigabit Ethernet transponder module offers both optical and digital performance monitoring, providing the customer added visibility into protocol and signal performance. Cisco patented technology will allow operations, administration, management, and provisioning (OAM&P) capabilities over these wavelengths to extend from a Cisco switch or router at the customer premises through the optical domain to the customer premises at the far end.
Table 1 Cisco ONS 15540 10-Gbps, 1550-nm, DWDM ITU Specification
|Optical signal-to-noise ratio (OSNR) (0.1-nm bandwidth)|
Table 2 Cisco ONS 15540 10-Gbps, 1310-nm Client Specification2
|Average launch power|
Table 3 Ordering Information for Cisco ONS 15540 ESPx 10 Gigabit Ethernet Transponder
|Product Part Number||Description||Minimum Cisco IOS® Software Release|