The Cisco Nexus® 3048 Switch (Figure 1) is a line-rate Gigabit Ethernet top-of-rack (ToR) switch and is part of the Cisco Nexus 3000 Series Switches portfolio. The Cisco Nexus 3048, with its compact one-rack-unit (1RU) form factor and integrated Layer 2 and 3 switching, complements the existing Cisco Nexus family of switches. This switch runs the industry-leading Cisco® NX-OS Software operating system, providing customers with robust features and functions that are deployed in thousands of data centers worldwide. The Cisco Nexus 3048 is ideal for big data customers that require a Gigabit Ethernet ToR switch with local switching that connects transparently to upstream Cisco Nexus switches, providing an end-to-end Cisco Nexus fabric in their data centers. This switch supports both forward and reversed airflow schemes with AC and DC power inputs.
Figure 1. Cisco Nexus 3048 Switch
The Cisco Nexus 3048 provides the following main benefits:
• Wire-rate Layer 2 and 3 switching
– Layer 2 and 3 switching of up to 176 Gigabit per second (Gbps) and more than 132 million packets per second (mpps) in a compact 1RU form-factor switch
• Robust and purpose-built Cisco NX-OS operating system for end-to-end Cisco Nexus fabric
– Transparent integration with the Cisco Nexus family of switches to provide a consistent end-to-end Cisco Nexus fabric
– Modular operating system built for resiliency
– Integration with Cisco Data Center Network Manager (DCNM) and XML management tools
• Comprehensive feature set and innovations for next-generation data centers
– Virtual PortChannel (vPC) provides Layer 2 multipathing through the elimination of Spanning Tree Protocol and enables fully utilized bisectional bandwidth and simplified Layer 2 logical topologies without the need to change the existing management and deployment models.
– Power On Auto Provisioning (POAP) enables touchless bootup and configuration of the switch, drastically reducing provisioning time.
– Cisco Embedded Event Manager (EEM) and Python scripting enable automation and remote operations in the data center.
– Advanced buffer monitoring reports real-time buffer utilization per port and per queue, which allows organizations to monitor traffic bursts and application traffic patterns.
– The 64-way equal-cost multipath (ECMP) routing enables Layer 3 fat tree designs and allows organizations to prevent network bottlenecks, increase resiliency, and add capacity with little network disruption.
– EtherAnalyzer is a built-in packet analyzer for monitoring and troubleshooting control-plane traffic and is based on the popular Wireshark open source network protocol analyzer.
– Precision Time Protocol (PTP; IEEE 1588) provides accurate clock synchronization and improved data correlation with network captures and system events.
– Full Layer 3 unicast and multicast routing protocol suites are supported, including Border Gateway Protocol (BGP), Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP), Routing Information Protocol Version 2 (RIPv2), Protocol Independent Multicast sparse mode (PIM-SM), Source-Specific Multicast (SSM), and Multicast Source Discovery Protocol (MSDP).
• 48 fixed 10/100/1000-Mbps Ethernet ports
• 4 fixed Enhanced Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP+) ports
• Locator LED
• Dual redundant power supplies
• Fan tray with redundant fans
• Two 10/100/1000-Mbps management ports
• One RS-232 serial console port
• One USB port
• Locator LED and button
Support for both forward (port-side exhaust) and reversed (port-side intake) airflow schemes is available.
Transceiver and Cabling Options
For uplink connectivity, the Cisco Nexus 3048 supports SFP+ direct-attach 10 Gigabit Ethernet copper, an innovative solution that integrates transceivers with Twinax cables into an energy-efficient and low-cost solution. For longer cable runs, multimode and single-mode optical SFP+ transceivers are supported. Table 1 lists the supported 10 Gigabit Ethernet transceiver options.
Table 1. Cisco Nexus 3048 10 Gigabit Transceiver Support Matrix
Cisco NX-OS is a data center-class operating system built with modularity, resiliency, and serviceability at its foundation. Cisco NX-OS helps ensure continuous availability and sets the standard for mission-critical data center environments. The self-healing and highly modular design of Cisco NX-OS makes zero-impact operations a reality and enables exceptional operation flexibility.
Focused on the requirements of the data center, Cisco NX-OS provides a robust and comprehensive feature set that meets the networking requirements of present and future data centers. With an XML interface and a command-line interface (CLI) like that of Cisco IOS® Software, Cisco NX-OS provides state-of-the-art implementations of relevant networking standards as well as a variety of true data center-class Cisco innovations.
Cisco NX-OS Software Benefits
Table 2 summarizes the benefits that Cisco NX-OS offers.
Table 2. Benefits of Cisco NX-OS Software
Common software throughout the data center: Cisco NX-OS runs on all Cisco data center switch platforms: Cisco Nexus 7000, 5000, 4000, 3000, 2000, and 1000V Series.
• Simplification of data center operating environment
• End-to-end Cisco Nexus and Cisco NX-OS fabric
• No retraining necessary for data center engineering and operations teams
Software compatibility: Cisco NX-OS interoperates with Cisco products running any variant of Cisco IOS Software and also with any networking OS that conforms to the networking standards listed as supported in this data sheet.
• Transparent operation with existing network infrastructure
• Open standards
• No compatibility concerns
Modular software design: Cisco NX-OS is designed to support distributed multithreaded processing. Cisco NX-OS modular processes are instantiated on demand, each in a separate protected memory space. Thus, processes are started and system resources allocated only when a feature is enabled. The modular processes are governed by a real-time preemptive scheduler that helps ensure timely processing of critical functions.
• Robust software
• Fault tolerance
• Increased scalability
• Increased network availability
Troubleshooting and diagnostics: Cisco NX-OS is built with unique serviceability functions to enable network operators to take early action based on network trends and events, enhancing network planning and improving network operations center (NOC) and vendor response times. Cisco Smart Call Home and Cisco Online Health Management System (OHMS) are some of the features that enhance the serviceability of Cisco NX-OS.
• Quick problem isolation and resolution
• Continuous system monitoring and proactive notifications
• Improved productivity of operations teams
Ease of management: Cisco NX-OS provides a programmatic XML interface based on the NETCONF industry standard. The Cisco NX-OS XML interface provides a consistent API for devices. Cisco NX-OS also supports Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Versions 1, 2, and 3 MIBs.
• Rapid development and creation of tools for enhanced management
• Comprehensive SNMP MIB support for efficient remote monitoring
Role-based access control (RBAC): With RBAC, Cisco NX-OS enables administrators to limit access to switch operations by assigning roles to users. Administrators can customize access and restrict it to the users who require it.
• Tight access control mechanism based on user roles
• Improved network device security
• Reduction in network problems arising from human errors
Cisco NX-OS Software Packages for Cisco Nexus 3048
The Cisco NX-OS Software package for the Cisco Nexus 3048 offers flexibility and a comprehensive feature set along with consistency with Cisco Nexus access switches. The default system software has a comprehensive Layer 2 feature set with extensive security and management features. To enable Layer 3 IP unicast and multicast routing functions, additional licenses need to be installed. Table 3 lists the software licensing details.
Table 3. Cisco NX-OS Software Package in the Cisco Nexus 3048
System default (no license required)
• Comprehensive Layer 2 feature set: VLAN, IEEE 802.1Q Trunking, vPC, Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP), Unidirectional Link Detection (UDLD; standard and aggressive), Multiple Spanning Tree Protocol (MSTP), Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol (RSTP), Spanning Tree Protocol guards, and Transparent VLAN Trunk Protocol (VTP)
• Management features: Cisco DCNM support, console, Secure Shell Version 2 (SSHv2) access, Cisco Discovery Protocol, SNMP, and syslog
Base license (N3K-C3048-BAS1K9)
• Layer 3 IP routing: Inter-VLAN routing (IVR), static routes, RIPv2, access control list (ACLs), OSPFv2 (limited to 256 routes), EIGRP stub, Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP), Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP), and Unicast Reverse-Path Forwarding (uRPF)
• Multicast: PIM-SM, SSM, and MSDP
LAN Enterprise license (N3K-C3048-LAN1K9)*
• Advanced Layer 3 IP routing: OSPFv2, EIGRP, BGP, and Virtual Route Forwarding lite (VRF-lite)
* The Base license (N3K-C3048-BAS1K9) is required to take advantage of LAN Enterprise license (N3K-C3048-LAN1K9) features. Table 5 later in this document provides a complete feature list.
Cisco Data Center Network Manager
The Cisco Nexus 3048 is supported in Cisco DCNM. Cisco DCNM is designed for hardware platforms enabled for Cisco NX-OS, which consist of the Cisco Nexus Family of products. Cisco DCNM is a Cisco management solution that increases overall data center infrastructure uptime and reliability, hence improving business continuity. Focused on the management requirements of the data center network, Cisco DCNM provides a robust framework and comprehensive feature set that meets the routing, switching, and storage administration needs of present and future data centers. In particular, Cisco DCNM automates the provisioning process, proactively monitors the LAN by detecting performance degradation, secures the network, and streamlines the diagnosis of dysfunctional network elements.
Table 4 lists the specifications for the Cisco Nexus 3048, Table 5 lists software features, and Table 6 lists management standards and support.
Table 4. Specifications
• 1RU fixed form-factor switch
• 48 10/100/1000-Mbps RJ-45 ports
• 4 10-Gbps SFP+ uplink ports
• 2 redundant power supplies
• 1 fan tray with redundant fans
• 1 I/O module with management, console, and USB flash memory ports
• 176-Gbps switching capacity
• Forwarding rate of 132 mpps
• Line-rate traffic throughput (both Layer 2 and 3) on all ports
• Configurable maximum transmission units (MTUs) of up to 9216 bytes (jumbo frames)
Hardware tables and scalability
Number of VLANS
• RSTP: 512
• MSTP: 64
16,000 prefixes and 16,000 host entries*
8000 multicast routes*
Number of EtherChannels
52 (with vPC)
Number of ports per EtherChannel
9 MB shared
Boot flash memory
Number of power supplies
Typical operating power
120 watts (W) (48p of 1G and 4p of 10G/SR at 100% load, with 2 power supply units [PSUs])
100 to 240 VAC
50 to 60 Hz
89 to 91% at 220V
-40 to -72 VDC
85 to 88%
Typical heat dissipation
409 BTU/hr (48p of 1G and 4p of 10G/SR at 100% load, with 2 PSUs)
Maximum heat dissipation
Forward and reversed airflow schemes
Forward airflow: Port-side exhaust (air enters through fan-tray and power supplies and exits through ports)
Reversed airflow: Port-side intake (air enters through ports and exits through fan tray and power supplies)
Cisco Nexus 3000 Series Switches are supported by Cisco NX-OS Software Release 5.0 and later. Cisco NX-OS interoperates with any networking OS, including Cisco IOS Software, that conforms to the networking standards mentioned in this data sheet.
Regulatory Standards Compliance
Table 7 summarizes regulatory standards compliance for the Cisco Nexus 3000 Series.
Table 7. Regulatory Standards Compliance: Safety and EMC
• Products should comply with CE Markings per directives 2004/108/EC and 2006/95/EC
• UL 60950-1 Second Edition
• CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 60950-1 Second Edition
• EN 60950-1 Second Edition
• IEC 60950-1 Second Edition
• AS/NZS 60950-1
• 47CFR Part 15 (CFR 47) Class A
• AS/NZS CISPR22 Class A
• CISPR22 Class A
• EN55022 Class A
• ICES003 Class A
• VCCI Class A
• KN22 Class A
• CNS13438 Class A
The product is RoHS 5 compliant with exception for lead press-fit connectors
Table 8 provides ordering information for the Cisco Nexus 3048.
Table 8. Ordering Information
Nexus 3048TP-1GE 1RU 48 10/100/1000 Mbps and 4 10Gbps ports
Nexus 3048 Fan Module, Forward airflow (port side exhaust)
Nexus 3048 Fan Module, Reversed airflow (port side intake)
N2K/3K 400W AC Power Supply, Forward airflow (port side exhaust)
N2K/3K 400W AC Power Supply, Reversed airflow (port side intake)
N2K/3K 400W DC Power Supply, Forward airflow (port side exhaust)
N3K Series 350W DC Power Supply, Reversed airflow (port side intake)
Nexus 3048 Layer 3 Base License
Nexus 3048 Layer 3 LAN Enterprise License (Requires N3K-C3048-BAS1K9 License)
Nexus 3048 Fan Module, Forward airflow (port side exhaust), Spare
Nexus 3048 Fan Module, Reversed airflow (port side intake), Spare
N2K/3K 400W AC Power Supply, Std airflow (port side exhaust), Spare
N2K/3K 400W AC Power Supply, Reversed airflow (port side intake), Spare
N2K/3K 400W DC Power Supply, Forward airflow (port side exhaust), Spare
N3K Series 350W DC Power Supply, Reversed airflow (port side intake), Spare
Nexus 3000 Accessory Kit
Nexus 3048, Forward Airflow (port side exhaust), AC P/S, Base & LAN Ent Lic Bundle
Nexus 3048, Reversed Airflow (port side intake), AC P/S, Base & LAN Ent Lic Bundle
Nexus 3048, Forward Airflow (port side exhaust), DC P/S, Base & LAN Ent Lic Bundle
Nexus 3048, Reversed Airflow (port side intake), DC P/S, Base & LAN Ent Lic Bundle
Cables and Optics
10GBASE-SR SFP+ Module
10GBASE-LR SFP+ Module
10GBASE-CU SFP+ Cable 1 Meter
10GBASE-CU SFP+ Cable 3 Meter
10GBASE-CU SFP+ Cable 5 Meter
Service and Support
Cisco offers a wide range of services to help accelerate your success in deploying and optimizing the Cisco Nexus 3000 Series in your data center. The innovative Cisco Services offerings are delivered through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners and are focused on helping you increase operation efficiency and improve your data center network. Cisco Advanced Services uses an architecture-led approach to help you align your data center infrastructure with your business goals and achieve long-term value. Cisco SMARTnet® Service helps you resolve mission-critical problems with direct access at any time to Cisco network experts and award-winning resources. With this service, you can take advantage of the Cisco Smart Call Home service capability, which offers proactive diagnostics and real-time alerts on your Cisco Nexus 3000 Series Switches. Spanning the entire network lifecycle, Cisco Services helps increase investment protection, optimize network operations, support migration operations, and strengthen your IT expertise.