Q. What is the Cisco® ONS 15310-MA SONET Multiservice Platform?
A. The Cisco ONS 15310-MA is a fully redundant, fully protected 6-rack-unit (6-RU) Multiservice Provisioning Platform (MSPP) optimized for metro access networks. It uses the same management interface - the Cisco Transport Controller - as the Cisco ONS 15454, ONS 15600, and ONS 15310-CL platforms, and is fully interoperable with these platforms. The Cisco ONS 15310-MA provides superior circuit scalability (DS-1, DS-3, EC-1, and Ethernet options at both Layer 1 and 2), and includes Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP)-based optics capable of OC-3, OC-12, OC-48, and CWDM/DWDM options, plus a wide variety of protection options for up to 99.999 percent reliability.
Cisco ONS 15310-MA SONET Multiservice Platform
Q. What unique benefits does the Cisco ONS 15310-MA offer?
A. The Cisco ONS15310-MA bridges the gap between the Cisco ONS 15310-CL and the Cisco ONS 15454 platforms, providing a small-size aggregation and transport solution. It offers higher density, more features, and greater flexibility than the Cisco ONS 15310-CL, as well as fully redundant common equipment and facility protection for a carrier-class, 99.999 percent availability solution. While it has less capacity than the Cisco ONS 15454, it is designed with a smaller footprint and lower price. The Cisco ONS 15310-MA uses the same feature-rich and innovative software as the other optical products in its product family.
Q. What are the physical dimensions of the Cisco ONS 15310-MA?
A. The Cisco ONS 15310-MA is 6-RU (10.5 inches) tall, 10.67 inches wide, and 12.0 inches deep. It fits easily into a 19-inch rack, and two can be mounted side by side in a 23-inch rack.
Q. What are the physical components that make up the Cisco ONS 15310-MA?
A. The Cisco ONS 15310-MA basic product offering consists of the following components:
• Shelf Assembly (MA-SA) supports one fan tray and filter, plus four feature slots, two common control slots, and two backplane interface cards.
• Fan tray assembly (MA-FTA)
• Air filter (MA-FTF)
• Control/Timing/Cross-connect card (CTX2500) provides management, synchronization, timing, inter-shelf communications, system cross connects, OC-3/OC-12/OC-48 optics. Operates in slots 3 and 4.
• TDM interface card (DS1-28/DS3-EC1-3) supporting up to 28 DS-1s and three DS-3/EC-1s, unprotected or 1:1 protected. Operates in slots 1, 2, 5, and 6.
• TDM interface card (DS1-84/DS3-EC1-3) supporting up to 84 DS-1s and three DS-3/EC-1s, unprotected or 1:1 protected. Operates in slots 1, 2, 5, and 6.
• 8-port 10/100-Mbps Layer 1 Carrier Ethernet mapper card (CE100T-8) supporting both high-order and low-order Virtual Concatenation (VCAT), Link Capacity Adjustment Scheme (LCAS), and Generic Framing Procedure (GFP). Compatible with both Cisco ONS 15310-CL and Cisco ONS 15310-MA. Operates in slots 1, 2, 5, and 6.
• 8-port 10/100-Mbps Layer 2/3 Ethernet card (ML100T-8) supporting high-order VCAT, LCAS, GFP, and Resilient Packet Ring (RPR). Compatible with both Cisco ONS 15310-CL and Cisco ONS 15310-MA. Operates in slots 1, 2, 5, and 6.
• Control/Timing/Cross-connect filler card (CTX-Filler) - Required when operating the Cisco ONS 15310-MA with simplex configuration (only one CTX card), for proper cooling and standards compliance. Operates in slots 3 or 4.
• Expansion Slot Filler card (EXP-Filler) - Required for empty expansion slots for proper cooling and standards compliance. Operates in slots 1, 2, 5, and 6.
• Backplane electrical interface card (EIA-HD-A and EIA-HD-B) - Required for electrical interface and interconnection of DS-1s, DS-3s, EC-1s, to "A" or "B" side of chassis. Accommodates up to 84 DS-1s and three DS-3/EC-1s per chassis side.
• Backplane filler (BP-COVER-A and BP-COVER-B) - blank backplane filler for use when EIA is not installed.
Q. What is the minimum hardware configuration required for the ONS 15310-MA?
A. The minimum equipment required for the Cisco ONS 15310-MA consists of a chassis, fan tray, filter, one CTX card with SFP optics, one CTX filler card, four expansion-slot filler cards, and two backplane covers, if EIA cards are not installed.
Q. What are the power requirements of the Cisco ONS 15310-MA?
A. The Cisco ONS 15310-MA installation requires the use of ground cable, #6 AWG stranded copper conductors for grounding, and #14 AWG stranded copper conductors for power. Use of a 15-ampere (A) fuse is recommended. The system operates between -40.5 volts (V) and -56.7V DC. A typical configuration would draw about 300 watts (approximately 6.5A DC at -48V).
Q. Does the Cisco ONS 15310-MA support redundant power supply?
A. Yes, the Cisco ONS 15310-MA has the following power characteristics:
• Redundant terminal blocks are used for connecting power, and inputs are on the back of the sub-rack with "A" and "B" at opposing corners.
• Battery A and B are independent.
• Return A and B are independent.
• A feed and B feed are independently monitored.
• The Cisco ONS 15310-MA uses state-of-the-art, point-of-use power supplies for maximum system reliability.
Q. Are there AC power options for the Cisco ONS 15310-MA?
A. The Cisco ONS 15310-MA operates on -48V DC power, and there is no optional AC power input. If only AC power is available, the Cisco AC/DC power rectifier (part number CSCO-ACDC-SYS) can be used for an effective DC power solution. For more information on the Cisco AC/DC power rectifier, please visit: www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6063/index.html.
Q. Which protection options are supported on the Cisco ONS 15310-MA?
A. The Cisco ONS 15310-MA supports unidirectional-path switched ring (UPSR), linear 1+1, and path-protected mesh networking (PPMN) as well as unprotected optical transmission. It also supports (but does not require) redundant controller cards for "hitless" switching. TDM redundancy (1:1 protection on DS-1/DS-3/EC-1 cards) and RPR on Cisco ONS 15454 ML-Series cards are also optional.
Q. What is the cross-connect capacity on the Cisco ONS 15310-MA?
A. The cross-connect capacity is 2128 bidirectional VT1.5s and 384 bidirectional STS-1s.
Q. What are the scaling capacities of the Cisco ONS 15310-MA?
A. The Cisco ONS 15310-MA can aggregate up to:
• 168 DS-1s
• 6 DS-3s
• 32 Layer 1 10/100 Ethernet ports
• 32 Layer 2/3 10/100 Ethernet ports
• 4 multirate (OC-3, OC-12, OC-48) SFP ports, including CWDM and DWDM capabilities
Q. What SFP adapters are available for use on the Cisco ONS 15310-MA?
A. The Cisco ONS 15310-MA supports the following SFP adapters:
• OC-3 - 1310 nanometer (nm) intermediate reach, 1310-nm and 1550-nm long reach, CWDM
• OC-12 - 1310-nm intermediate reach, 1310-nm and 1550-nm long reach, CWDM
• OC-48 - 1310-nm intermediate reach, 1310-nm and 1550-nm long reach, CWDM, DWDM
Q. What is the default IP address on a new Cisco ONS 15310-MA?
A. The IP address resides on the controller card, and comes with the default IP address of 192.168.1.2.
Q. How is the Cisco ONS 15310-MA managed?
A. The Cisco ONS 15310-MA uses both Cisco Transport Controller and Cisco Transport Manager Version 7.0. Cisco Transport Controller is a simple Java-based GUI that works via IP. Because other Cisco ONS platforms use this same GUI, the convenience of full management, alarm monitoring, and A-Z provisioning are available from anywhere in the network. Other industry-standard management interfaces such as Transaction Layer 1 (TL1), Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), and Common Object Request Broker Architecture (CORBA) are also supported.
Q. Does the Cisco ONS 15310-MA operate on the same software coding as other Cisco optical products?
A. Yes, the Cisco ONS 15310-MA operates on the same software code as the ONS 15310-CL, ONS 15454, and the ONS 15600.
Q. My network management system (NMS) uses SNMP for fault management on my network. Does the Cisco ONS 15310-MA support SNMP?
A. Yes, the Cisco ONS 15310, 15454, and 15600 series platforms are configured with their own specific MIBs and support SNMP for NMSs.
Q. Which carrier-class certifications has the Cisco ONS 15310-MA achieved?
A. The Cisco ONS 15310-MA has the following carrier-class certifications:
• Environmental - GR-63-CORE, FCC Part 15 Approval
Q. What multiservice platforms are included in the Cisco ONS Family?
A. The Cisco ONS Family includes the following multiservice platforms:
• Cisco ONS 15310-CL - A low-cost, 1-RU device with two SFP optical interfaces supporting OC-3 and OC-12, in 1310 nm and 1550 nm wavelengths. Additionally the Cisco ONS 15310-CL supports 21 DS-1s, three DS-3s, and provides an interchangeable slot to support a choice of Layer 1 or Layer 2/3 Ethernet capability.
• Cisco ONS 15310-MA - A 6-RU device using 4 SFP optical interfaces including OC-3, OC-12, and OC-48, in 1310 nm, 1550 nm, CWDM, and DWDM wavelengths. Additionally, the Cisco ONS 15310-MA supports up to 4 interchangeable traffic module slots, capable of high-density DS-1s, DS-3s, and EC-1s, and a choice of Layer 1 or Layer 2/3 Ethernet capability.
• Cisco ONS 15454 - 14-RU device using 12 interchangeable slots, capable of high-density DS-1s, DS-3s, Layer 1 and Layer 2/3 Ethernet at 10/100 or Gigabit Ethernet; SFP-supported SONET links of OC-3, OC-12, OC-48, and OC-192 in 1310 nm, 1550 nm, CWDM, and DWDM wavelengths, Fibre Channel, and up to 32 lambdas of 10-Gbps DWDM with a wide variety of interfaces.
• Cisco ONS 15600 - Core switching device supporting 320 Gbps of switching, grooming, aggregation, and bandwidth management capacity. Eight high-density feature slots support 32 OC-192/STM-64, or 128 OC-48/STM-16 optical interfaces in 1310 nm, 1550 nm, CWDM, and DWDM wavelengths, all in a single shelf.