Strengthen Your Mobile Network
Cisco Serving Gateway (SGW) is a critical network function for the 4G mobile core network, known as the evolved packet core (EPC). The SGW resides in the user plane where it forwards and routes packets to and from the eNodeB and packet data network gateway (PGW). The SGW also serves as the local mobility anchor for inter-eNodeB handover and mobility between 3GPP networks.
The SGW function is supported by the industry-leading Cisco ASR 5000 Series, delivering an unrivaled combination of:
- Call transaction rates
- Packet processing
- Significant memory resources
EPC: Defining a Simplified Mobile Network
Cisco SGW can be a standalone element or integrated with other EPC elements, such as:
- Mobility management entity (MME)
- Packet data network gateway (PGW)
- Release 8 Serving GPRS Support Node (SGSN)
SGW: Mobility and Session Management Interworking
The SGW can also be integrated with 2G/3G elements, such as the Serving GPRS Support Node (SGSN) and Gateway GPRS Support Node (GGSN). This integration is critical to mobility and session management interworking between 2G/3G and 4G mobile networks.
By combining multiple functions into a single carrier-class platform, like the ASR 5000, operators can reduce signaling overhead, bearer plane performance, distribute session management, and take full advantage of the control and user plane capabilities.
SGW Primary Features
- Integration of multiple core network functions in a single node
- High performance across all parameters – signaling, throughput, density, and latency
- Integrated intelligence in the SGW supports intelligent paging and prioritization
- Cisco's Fast Path optimizes tunneling performance while leaving abundant processing resources for combining multiple control plane functions on the same network element
- High-availability ensures subscriber satisfaction and 99.999 percent system availability
Verizon Wireless completes successful LTE data calls with Cisco equipment
Trials Include First Field-Level Tests Integrating Network Vendors 4G Technology Over 700 MHz Spectrum.
Learn about 10 EPC considerations. (3:43 min)
EPC Considerations Video Blog (Part 1 of 3)
Learn about 10 EPC considerations. (5:55 min)
EPC Considerations Video Blog (Part 2 of 3)
Learn about 10 EPC considerations. (5:06 min)