Strong, Reliable Support for Mobile Networks
Cisco Packet Data Network Gateway (PGW) is a critical network function for the 4G mobile core network, known as the evolved packet core (EPC). The PGW acts as the interface between the LTE network and other packet data networks, such as the Internet or SIP-based IMS networks.. The PGW serves as the anchor point for network mobility and:
- Acts as the Policy and Charging Enforcement Function (PCEF)
- Manages quality of service (QoS)
- Provides deep-packet inspection and lawful intercept
The PGW function is supported on the Cisco ASR 5000 Series and delivers the high performance throughput, call transaction rates, packet processing, and significant memory resources required for mobile broadband.
EPC: Defining a Simplified Mobile Network
EPC specifications define a simplified network architecture. The Cisco PGW can further simplify the network acting as a standalone element or integrated with other EPC elements, such as:
By combining these functions into a single carrier-class platform, like the ASR 5000, operators can reduce signaling overhead, distribute session management, and maximize the control and user plane capabilities.
PGW Primary Features
- Integration of multiple core network functions in a single node
- Multiple instances of the PGW can enable call localization and local breakout
- High performance across all parameters signaling, throughput, density, and latency
- Integrated in-line services
- Support for enhanced content charging, content filtering with blacklisting, dynamic network-based traffic optimization, application detection and optimization, stateful firewall, NAT translation, and lawful intercept
- High-availability helps to ensure subscriber satisfaction and 99.999 percent system availability
Verizon Wireless completes successful LTE data calls with Cisco equipment
Trials Include First Field-Level Tests Integrating Network Vendors 4G Technology Over 700 MHz Spectrum.
Learn about 10 EPC considerations. (3:43 min)
EPC Considerations Video Blog (Part 1 of 3)
Learn about 10 EPC considerations. (5:55 min)
EPC Considerations Video Blog (Part 2 of 3)
Learn about 10 EPC considerations. (5:06 min)