Get High Resiliency and Maximum Scalability
Optimize the performance of your large wireless network with centralized control. The 8500 Series Controller is designed to cost-effectively manage, secure, and optimize the performance of sizeable wireless networks. Ideal for service provider and large campus deployments, the 8500 Series delivers unmatched scalability while reducing infrastructure complexity.
Centralize control to cost-effectively manage, secure, and optimize the performance of your large-scale wireless network. (3:33 min)
Wireless Controller Fundamentals
Learn primary benefits and protocols of controller-based wireless networks.View Video
Features and Capabilities
A component of the Cisco Unified Wireless Network, the 8500 Series Controller provides real-time, centralized communications between Cisco Aironet Access Points, the Cisco Prime Infrastructure, and the Cisco Mobility Services Engine.
Designed for service provider and large campus deployments, the 8500 Series Controller offers:
- The industry's largest scalability in a single rack-unit space (1RU); a centralized touch point for up to 6000 access points, 64,000 clients, and 6000 branch locations
- High speed with 10 Gigabit Ethernet connectivity support: Two 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports for redundancy
- High Availability with sub-second access point and client stateful failover
- High resiliency with redundant dual power supplies
The 8500 Series Controller is a part of the complete Wireless Controller family, offering:
- The flexibility to centrally configure wireless policy, management, or security settings on remote access points through centralized provisioning and management.
- Wireless intrusion prevention system (WIPS) capabilities
- Centrally defined policy enforcement across wired and wireless networks and integration with Cisco Identity Services Engine
- Support for advanced mobility technologies, including CleanAir, ClientLink 2.0, VideoStream, FlexConnect, Mesh, and OfficeExtend technologies
View the wireless controllers portfolio At-a-Glance to see how Cisco offers a wide array of controllers that can support wireless functions in organizations of all sizes, from branch offices to small and medium business to large campus and service provider environments.
Specifications at a Glance
|Service provider Wi-Fi||
|Licensing flexibility and investment protection)||