Optimized for 10/40/100 Campus Services
Cisco Catalyst 6800 Series Switches are programmable campus backbone switches optimized for 10/40/100 Gigabit Ethernet services. They provide slot capacity up to 880 G, and smart and simple network operations using Catalyst Instant Access. These switches offer converged wired, wireless, and VPN security, and exceptional investment protection with their Catalyst 6500 DNA.
Catalyst 6800 campus backbone switches are optimized for 10, 40, and 100 Gb services. (3:06 min)
Get resiliency and IT simplicity from virtual switching and instant access technologies. (4:27 min)
Features and Capabilities
Cisco Catalyst 6800 Switches are built for next-generation scale, services, simplicity, and programmability. They allow IT staff to move from a traditional role of network administration to focus more on business innovation.
Help ensure that the campus is ready for 10/40/100 Gigabit Ethernet services with the higher slot and switching capacity of Catalyst 6800. The 6800 Series offers the highest-density 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports that:
- Include advanced enterprise Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS), Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS), and Multicast functionality
- Support multirate interfaces for easy migration from 1 Gigabit Ethernet to higher throughput services
Cisco Catalyst 6807-XL Switches can scale to 880 Gb per slot and 11.4-Tbps (full duplex) switching capacity. For midsize campuses, Cisco Catalyst 6880-X Switches provide scalability with eighty 10 or twenty 40 Gigabit Ethernet ports.
Built for Programmability
Catalyst 6800 switches support the Cisco One Platform Kit (onePK) software-defined networking (SDN) toolkit. You can easily build applications to automate operations and create services across the campus.
The 6800 Series Switches also support the industry-standard OpenFlow interface. You can program these switches for custom network services such as network slicing and traffic steering.
Built for Unified Access
The Catalyst 6800 series facilitates:
- Five nines (99.999 percent) availability with next-generation Cisco Virtual Switching System (VSS) technology (VSS Quad Supervisor SSO [VS4O])
- One policy with Cisco Identity Services Engine
- Centralized management with Cisco Prime infrastructure
- One network with Cisco Wireless Services Module 2 (WiSM2)
- Roaming and device mobility with the Cisco Campus Locator/ID Separation Protocol (LISP)
To simplify the campus network, Catalyst 6800:
- Supports the Catalyst Instant Access solution, which extends backbone features to the access layer with simplified configuration, management, and feature consistency
- Supports Smart Operations features, including VSS, Smart Install, and Embedded Event Manager (EEM)
- Is fully integrated with Cisco Prime Infrastructure
Catalyst 6800 has features and operations that are consistent with Catalyst 6500 so your new network investment can be fully functional immediately. IT can upgrade the backbone with minimal service interruption and no staff retraining because it offers the same features and operational consistency as Catalyst 6500 Switches.
Catalyst 6800 switches also support all features that Catalyst 6500 switches do, so IT can be fully operational from day 1. IT can take advantage of existing Catalyst 6500 investments, as Catalyst 6807-XL supports existing Supervisor Engine 2T, line cards, and service modules.
DB Systel plans to connect more devices using Catalyst 6800 for its backbone. (3:14 min)
Rice University prepares to simplify its virtualized network with Catalyst 6800 switches. (3:01 min)