Optimize Costs and Deliver Network Convergence
Get an end-to-end solution with the Cisco Network Convergence System (NCS) 4000 Series. As a convergent platform, the NCS 4000 bridges the gap between the IP and optical layers with a comprehensive feature set and best-in-class functionality for each layer, including time division multiplexing (TDM), packet switching, and integrated dense wavelength division multiplexing (DWDM) functionality.
Video Data Sheet
Combine packet and transport for efficient convergence.
Design a Virtualized Infrastructure
Bring new levels of programmability and virtualization to your networks. (2:23 min)Watch Video
Features and Capabilities
Easily accommodate explosive traffic growth and rapidly evolving network demands with the Cisco NCS 4000 Series. It combines packet and transport for efficient convergence, benefiting from transport resiliency and simplicity, as well as packet flexibility and scalability.
The NCS 4000 Series uniquely combines packet switching, OTN switching, and coherent DWDM interfaces to optimally utilize network resources. It supports:
- A highly-scalable, agnostic fabric, supporting shelf and multi-chassis scale to more than 100 Tbps
- Full optical channel data unit (ODU-0) level switching, with ports supporting SONET/SDH, Ethernet, and channelized OTN
- Full IP, MPLS, MPLS-Transport Profile (TP), and Carrier Ethernet switching, supporting 10 Gb, 40 Gb, and 100 Gb Ethernet interfaces with the option of OTN encapsulation
- Integrated coherent DWDM, supporting IP-over-DWDM features such as proactive protection, and management integration with Cisco routers
- Hybrid traffic for simultaneous OTN and packet switching, with the ability to route sub-channels inside a larger OTN container
The NCS 4000 also offers seamless integration with the Cisco NCS 6000 and NCS 2000 for massively scalable IP services and fully programmable reconfigurable optical add-drop multiplexer (ROADM) functionality. The series incorporates significant innovations such as:
- Virtualized infrastructure to support service integration capabilities for considerable flexibility in deploying new applications
- Support for multi-chassis and back-to-back configurations
- Full In-Service Software Upgrade (ISSU) with zero packet loss and zero topology loss
- State-of-the-art backplane technology ready to scale to 500 Gbps per slot
- Superior simplification in usability and automation in service management, turn-up, and monitoring
Cisco is an ideal provider when you want to combine IP migration with DWDM, along with a unified multi-layer management solution in your network. The NCS 4000 Series includes technology investment and technology leadership in all the key areas of IP, optical, control plane, and network management.
Cisco Services: Get the most value from your investments in Cisco converged IP+Optical solutions with services from Cisco and our partners.
Specifications at a Glance
|Software Compatibility||Cisco IOS XR Software Release 5.2.0 or later running under Cisco nVisor|
|System Capacity||200 Gbps per line card capability for a 3.2 Tbps total switching capacity|
|Physical Dimensions||Width: 17.67 in. (448.85 mm)
Height: 42 in. (1066.95 mm), 24RU
Depth: 18.69 in. (474.78 mm) without power connections
|Power||Support for both DC and AC power modules|