® 1530 Series outdoor access points are designed to support a wide variety of applications. With a sleek profile, the access points can be deployed wherever coverage is needed and still meet the requirements of the particular deployment. A fully operational system requires at least the following items:
• Access point
• Power source
• Antennas: 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, or dual band (Cisco Aironet 1532E Outdoor Access Point only)
• Mounting bracket
• Software selection
Use this guide to identify the items that you need for your deployment. Note that accessories are available as configurable options and as spares. An equals sign at the end of the part number indicates that the part is a spare: for example, AIR-PWRINJ1500-2=.
You may need to remove any option you installed when returning your access point to Cisco. Consult your Cisco representative for additional assistance in ordering mesh and other networking equipment.
The Cisco Aironet 1530 Series is available in two models:
• Cisco Aironet 1532I (internal antennas): The Cisco Aironet 1532I Outdoor Access Point is a low-profile, lightweight model in the Cisco Aironet 1530 Series. The smaller size and sleeker look helps it blend in with the surrounding environment. The Cisco Aironet 1532I access points are dual-radio systems with internal antennas and comply with IEEE 802.11b/g/n (2.4 GHz) and 802.11a/n (5 GHz) standards. The 2.4-GHz radio is 3x3 multiple-input and multiple-output (MIMO) radio with support for up to three spatial streams, and the 5-GHz radio is a 2x3 MIMO radio and supports two spatial streams.
• Cisco Aironet 1532E (external antennas): The Cisco Aironet 1532E Outdoor Access Point is also a low-profile and lightweight model, but it supports a flexible radio coverage area through the use of external antennas. With the unique Cisco Flexible Antenna Port technology, the antenna ports can be software configured for dual-band or single-band operation.
Table 1 lists the part numbers for the access point models in the Cisco Aironet 1530 Series.
Table 1. Cisco Aironet 1530 Series Models
802.11n Low-Profile Outdoor AP, Internal Ant., x Reg Dom.
802.11n Low-Profile Outdoor AP, External Ant., x Reg Dom.
In Table 1, "x" is a placeholder for the regulatory domain designator. Please see
http://www.cisco.com/go/aironet/compliance to determine which regulatory domain is used in your country. Note that the regulatory domain used in your country may differ with the access point model, and that some models are not available for all countries.
The following items are included with every model:
• Access point
• Grounding lug
• DC power connector
• One liquid-tight adaptor for sealing the cable ingress connection
• Weatherization tape for the antenna connections
• Anti-corrosion sealant for the ground lug
TheCisco Aironet 1530 Series access points can connect to the network wirelessly or through a wired Ethernet connection.
• Wireless: An access point that connects to the network through another access point over a wireless backhaul is known as a mesh access point (MAP). The backhaul radio is built in, and no wired connection is needed for MAPs. An access point that acts as the gateway for mesh nodes is known as a root access point (RAP). RAPs connect to the network through a wired Ethernet connection. A liquid-tight adapter is provided with the access point to seal the cable entry.
• Ethernet: The Cisco Aironet 1530 Series supports 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet using a shielded RJ-45 connector with minimum Category 5 cable. Please see your local supplier for an outdoor-rated cable and shielded connectors.
Table 2 provides the powering options for each model.
Table 2. Powering Options the Cisco Aironet 1530 Series
Power over Ethernet (PoE)
UPoE or PoE+(802.3at)*
* When the Cisco Aironet 1532I is powered using Enhanced PoE (PoE+) power, the access point will automatically disable one of the 2.4-GHz transmitters.
To power the Cisco Aironet 1530 Series from an AC power source, an external AC/DC power adapter is required. When powering the Cisco Aironet 1530 Series from street light power, please note that the maximum voltage is 277 VAC and requires the power adapter and the street light tap. Table 3 lists the power adapter and tap part numbers.
Table 3. AC/DC Power Adapter and Street Light Tap
Power Adapter (AC/DC) - Outdoor AP1530 Series
Power cord, 4 ft, Street Light Tap
Power over Ethernet
The Cisco Aironet 1530 Series can be powered over the Ethernet connection with power directly from an appropriately powered switch port or from an inline power injector. The approved power injectors are listed in Table 4.
Table 4. Power Injector for Use with Power over Ethernet
1520/1550/1530 Series Power Injector
Power Injector - AP-3600 Series w/Modules-SPARE
You must also specify the country type power cord for the power injector. The AIR-PWRINJ1500-2= and AIR-PWRINJ4= power injectors are for indoor environments only.
The Cisco Aironet 1530 Series access points use a standard RJ-45 Ethernet connector. Cisco does not provide an Ethernet cable for the Cisco Aironet 1530 Series. You will need to source an outdoor-rated, Category 5 or better Ethernet cable and shielded RJ-45 connectors from a local supplier. A liquid-tight gland is provided with the access point to seal this cable entry point from weather.
The Cisco Aironet 1530 Series access points support power from an external 24 to 57 VDC power supply with a minimum of 30 watts (W). A terminal block is included with your access point for this purpose, with liquid-tight adapter to weatherproof the connection. When using DC power, please consult the hardware installation guide for instructions on how to correctly assemble the connector.
The Cisco Aironet 1530 Series can be installed with redundant power sources. When multiple power sources are available, the access point will use power in the following priority:
1. DC power
The Cisco Aironet 1532E access points are equipped with a combination of radios operating in the 2.4- and 5-GHz bands. Both radios can support two transmit and two receive streams using Maximal Ratio Combining (MRC), which takes advantage of multipath signals received across the two antennas to improve signal quality.
Table 5 describes the antennas available for the Cisco Aironet 1532E access points, listing part numbers for the antennas as well as gain and other details.
Table 5. Antennas for the Cisco Aironet 1532E Access Point
The access points are provided with a moldable sealant to protect the antenna connector from weather. Consult the installation guide for proper installation.
When you use cables between the antenna and the Cisco Aironet 1532E access point, Cisco recommends that you add lightning arrestors to each port, particularly when the deployment is in an area with high lightning activity. The lightning arrestor listed in Table 6 provides robust protection against induced currents in the RF cabling generated by nearby lightning strikes.
Note: The lightning arrestor does not protect against direct lightning strikes on the access point.
Table 6. Lightning Arrestor for the Cisco Aironet 1530 Series
2.4 and 5 GHz Lightning Arrestor, N Connector
Cisco Aironet 1530 Series outdoor access points can be mounted on poles or walls (Table 7).The standard vertical, pole-mounting brackets can be ordered as an option or as a spare. The mounting brackets with tilt mechanism can be ordered separately as a spare.
Table 7. Mounting Brackets for the Cisco Aironet 1530 Series
Standard Pole/Wall Mount Kit for AP1530 Series
Pole mount kit for AP1530 Series with tilt adjustment
Both pole-mount kits include two sets of stainless-steel bands to fit poles from 2 to 8 inches in diameter. For larger poles, consult a local provider.
The Cisco Aironet 1530 Series requires the minimum software releases noted in Table 8.
Table 8. Minimum Software Releases
Minimum Software Release
Software Release 7.6 or later
Software Release 7.6 or later
Note: Additional functions are available for the access points with more recent releases. Please see the applicable release notes for more information about features available with newer releases.
Software Ordering Option
The Cisco Aironet 1530 Series access points can be deployed in unified or autonomous mode. The access point boots in the default mesh mode and can reboot in autonomous mode with a command-line interface (CLI) command. Both unified and autonomous images are included in the software part number in Table 9.
Table 9. Software Option for Cisco Aironet 1530 Series
1530 Series Combined Unified and Autonomous SW
Cover and Solar Shield
Cisco 1530 Series outdoor access points can be deployed with an optional paintable cover to enable the access point to blend into the surroundings.
Additional cable glands and other spare items are available in an accessory kit (Table 10). This kit contains the following items: