® 5760 Wireless Controller (Figure 1) is an industry-leading platform designed for 802.11ac networks with maximum performance and services at scale, combined with high availability for mission-critical wireless networks. Through the Unified Access Data Plane (UADP) application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC), it delivers wire-speed performance with services such as advanced quality of service (QoS), flexible NetFlow v9, and downloadable ACLs. Delivering on the One Network component of the
Unified Access vision, the Cisco 5760 offers:
• Wire-speed 60-Gbps throughput with services
• Up to 1000 access points per controller and 72,000 access points in a cluster
• Up to 12,000 clients per controller and 864,000 clients in a cluster
• Network traffic visibility through flexible NetFlow v9
The 5760 Wireless Controller can operate in both converged access mode and centralized mode. Converged access mode provides a hierarchical network design that distributes the wireless data plane at the access layer on Cisco Catalyst
® switches for maximum performance and scale. Converged access mode provides maximum resiliency by constraining outages to smaller failure domains. Additionally, converged access mode delivers high availability with access point stateful failover (access point SSO), making sure SSIDs are highly available and have minimal effect on wireless clients. (See Tables 1 and 2)
Table 1. Cisco 5760 Wireless LAN Controller Features
• Supports up to 1000 access points and 12,000 wireless clients for business-critical wireless services.
• Unparalleled scalable wireless solution including multiple controllers can support up to 72,000 access points and 864,000 wireless clients.
• Optimized for 802.11ac standard.
• 6 10G SFP+ uplinks.
• Hardware processing to provide up to 60 Gbps throughput with services such as downloadable ACL, granular QoS queues, fairness algorithm, NetFlow v9 processing, and so on.
• Converged access deployment mode provides hierarchical network design that constraints outages to smaller failure domains, thereby providing higher resiliency. Wireless clients will recover quickly from switch failures within the Cisco 3850 or 3650 Series switch stack automatically through stateful failover (access point SSO).
• Cisco 5760 in centralized deployment mode (also known as local mode) supports 1+1 and N+1 resiliency.
• Multiple link aggregation (LAG) support to protect against link failures while maintaining the optimal network connectivity.
• 5760 also supports stateful switchover to the standby 5760 controller using the StackWise technology
Service Discovery Gateway
• Enables Apple Bonjour
® services to be advertised and utilized in a separate Layer 2 network. Supports mDNS and DNS-SD standards for full interoperability.
• Supports Cisco Application Visibility and Control(AVC), the technology that includes the Network-Based Application Recognition 2 (NBAR-2) engine, Cisco's deep packet inspection (DPI) capability
• Well known Cisco IOS Software CLI allows customers to use existing management tools for operations.
• Cisco's rich NetFlow ecosystem enables customers to use reporting, monitoring, traffic analysis, and troubleshooting tools for wireless network.
• Cisco ClientLink 2.0 technology to improve downlink performance to all mobile devices, including one-, two, and three-spatial-stream devices on 802.11n while improving battery life on mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets.
• Cisco CleanAir technology, which provides proactive, high-speed spectrum intelligence to combat performance problems due to wireless interference.
• Provides both real-time and historical information about RF interference affecting network performance across controllers using systemwide Cisco CleanAir technology integration.
Comprehensive end-to-end security
• Offers Control and Provisioning of Wireless Access Points (CAPWAP)-compliant DTLS encryption to make sure of encryption between access points and controllers or between controllers.
• Optimized video delivery using single stream for both wired and wireless clients.
• Supports Cisco VideoStream technology to optimize the delivery of business-critical multicast video applications across the WLAN.
• Other Indicators: Sys, ACT, Power Supply 1, Power Supply 2
Regulatory Compliance: Products Should Comply with CE Marking per Directives 2004/108/EC and 2006/95/EC
• UL 60950-1 Second Edition
• CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 60950-1 Second Edition
• EN 60950-1 Second Edition
• IEC 60950-1 Second Edition
• AS/NZS 60950-1
• 47CFR Part 15 (CFR 47) Class A
• AS/NZS CISPR22 Class A
• CISPR22 Class A
• EN55022 Class A
• ICES003 Class A
• VCCI Class A
• KN22 Class A
Dimensions (H x W x D)
1.75 x 17.5 x 17.7 in. (4.45 x 44.5 x 45.0 cm)
19.6 lbs (8.9 kg) with two power supplies installed
17.1 lbs (7.8 kg) with a single power supply installed
23 to 113° F (-5 to 45° C)
-40 to 158° F (-40 to 70° C)
5 to 95% (noncondensing)
Up to 10,000 ft (3000m)
Up to 15,000 ft (4600m)
100 to 240 VAC; 50/60 Hz
Table 3 lists the ordering information for Cisco 5700 Series Wireless Controllers.
Table 3. Ordering Information for Cisco 5700 Series Wireless Controllers
Cisco SMARTnet Service 8x5xNBD
5700 Series Wireless Controller for up to 25 Cisco Access Points
5700 Series Wireless Controller for up to 50 Cisco Access Points
5700 Series Wireless Controller for up to 100 Cisco Access Points
5700 Series Wireless Controller for up to 250 Cisco Access Points
5700 Series Wireless Controller for up to 500 Cisco Access Points
5700 Series Wireless Controller for up to 1000 Cisco Access Points
Cisco 5760 Wireless Controller for High Availability
Additive Capacity Upgrade Licenses
The simplified right-to-use (RTU) licensing model allows customers to buy only the required number of access point capacity licenses and then add the licenses through a simple CLI on the controller.
Tables 4 and 5 list additive capacity upgrade licenses for the Cisco 5700 Series.
Table 4. Ordering Information for Cisco 5700 Series Wireless Controllers Additive Capacity Licenses (E-Delivery)
Cisco SMARTnet Service 8x5xNBD
Primary upgrade license SKU for Cisco 5760 Wireless Controller (e-delivery)
1 access point adder license for the wireless controller based on Cisco IOS Software (e-delivery)
Table 5. Ordering Information for Cisco 5700 Series Wireless Controllers Additive Capacity Licenses (Paper)
Cisco SMARTnet Service 8x5xNBD
Primary upgrade license SKU for Cisco 5760 Wireless Controller
1 access point adder license for the wireless controller based on Cisco IOS Software
The additive capacity licenses allow for the increase in access point capacity supported by the controller up to a maximum of 1000 access points. As an example, if a controller was initially ordered with the 250 access point support, that capacity could be later increased to up to 1000 access points by purchasing a 750 access point additive capacity license (750
* "LIC-CT5760-1A" or "L-LIC-CT5760-1A"). The single access point adder license SKU for the 5700 Series Wireless Controller allows customers the flexibility to purchase the exact number of licenses at a time. (See Tables 6 and 7)
Table 6. Accessories for Cisco 5700 Series Wireless Controllers
350WAC Redundant Power Supply Bay 2
5700 Series Wireless Controller Console cable
5760 Wireless Controller Rack mount kit
Table 7. Power Cords for Cisco 5700 Series Wireless Controllers
North America AC Type A Power Cable
Australia AC Type A Power Cable
Argentina AC Type A Power Cable
Switzerland AC Type A Power Cable
United Kingdom AC Type A Power Cable
Japan 250V AC Type A Power Cable
Europe AC Type A Power Cable
Italy AC Type A Power Cable
India AC Type A Power Cable
China AC Type A Power Cable
Denmark AC Type A Power Cable
Israel AC Type A Power Cable
Japan AC Type A Power Cable
Table 8. Stacking cables for the Cisco 5700 Series Wireless Controllers
Cisco StackWise-480 50cm stacking cable spare
Cisco StackWise-480 1m stacking cable spare
Cisco StackWise-480 3m stacking cable spare
DTLS Cisco 5700 Series Wireless Controllers
Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) is required to encrypt the data plane traffic. If a customer chooses the software option "SW5760K9-xxxx" (for example, SW5760K9-32SE), DTLS data encryption is enabled by default. Customers planning to install this device physically in Russia must order the controller with DTLS disabled by choosing the DTLS disabled software version (for example, SW5760LPE-K9-32SE). Consult your local government regulations to make sure that data DTLS encryption is permitted.
Service and Support
Realize the full business value of your wireless network and mobility services investments more quickly with intelligent, customized services from Cisco and our partners. Backed by comprehensive networking expertise and a broad ecosystem of partners, Cisco professional and technical services enable you to successfully plan, build, and run your network as a powerful business platform. Our services can help you successfully deploy the Cisco 5700 Series Wireless Controller and integrate mobility solutions effectively to lower the total cost of ownership and secure your wireless network.
The Cisco 5700 Series Wireless Controller is designed for 802.11ac networks, delivering wire-speed performance with services through hardware (ASIC) processing while offering maximum scalability and high resiliency for enterprise wireless deployments. The hierarchical wireless network design through the new converged access mode of deployment offers unparalleled scalability and future-proofs Wi-Fi networks.
The Cisco 5700 Series Wireless Controller is a controller based on Cisco IOS Software that enables customers to use the rich and proven features of Cisco IOS Software and its ecosystems. The Cisco IOS Software CLI allows customers to continue to use their existing tools to manage the wireless network. Cisco IOS Software makes sure of maximum security and stability.
All of these benefits are provided while maintaining Cisco's wireless innovations such as CleanAir, ClientLink 2.0, and VideoStream.