® announces the end of life of Cisco PIX
® Security Appliance Software versions 6.0 and 6.1 and Cisco PIX Device Manager Version 1.1. The last day to order Cisco PIX Security Appliance Software versions 6.0 and 6.1 and Cisco PIX Device Manager Version 1.1 is November 27, 2004. Customers will continue to receive support from the Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC) until November 27, 2009. Table 1 describes the end-of-life milestones, definitions, and dates associated with this announcement. Table 2 lists the product numbers affected by this announcement. Table 3 outlines the details on the recommended product migration to Cisco PIX Security Appliance Software Version 6.3.
Since the introduction of Cisco PIX Security Appliance Software versions 6.0 and 6.1, Cisco has delivered several software releases that introduced market-leading security features, enhanced remote management, improved network integration, expanded resiliency capabilities, and more. Highlights of enhancements introduced in these Cisco PIX Security Appliance software releases include:
· Rich security services for a broad range of multimedia and voice over IP (VoIP) standards, including Session Initiation Protocol (SIP), Skinny Client Control Protocol (SCCP), H.323 versions 3 and 4, and Media Gateway Control Protocol (MGCP)
· Significantly expanded site-to-site and remote-access VPN capabilities, including support for the new higher-performance Cisco PIX VPN Accelerator Card+, support for Cisco Easy VPN, and support for Advanced Encryption Standard (AES)
· Enhanced remote management capabilities, including improved access control list (ACL) and syslog management, object grouping, and automated software and configuration updating using CiscoWorks Auto Update
· Improved network integration using support for IEEE 802.1q-based VLANs, Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) Protocol dynamic routing, and multicast network traffic
· Enhanced resiliency through introduction of LAN-based firewall stateful failover
Given the wide range of benefits provided by the recent software releases, customers are encouraged to migrate from Cisco PIX Security Appliance Software versions 6.0 and 6.1 to Cisco PIX Security Appliance Software Version 6.3. For information about features in Cisco PIX Security Appliance Software version 6.3, go to the URL mentioned in the Additional Information section of this notice.
Table 1. End-of-Life Milestones and Dates for Cisco PIX Security Appliance Software Versions 6.0 and 6.1
End-of-life announcement date
The date the document that announces the end of sale and end of life of a product is distributed to the general public.
May 27, 2004
The last date to order the product through Cisco point-of-sale mechanisms. The product is no longer for sale after this date.
November 27, 2004
Last shipment date
The last-possible ship date that can be requested of Cisco and/or its contract manufacturers. Actual ship date is dependent on lead-time.
February 27, 2005
End of software maintenance releases date
The last date that Cisco Engineering may release any final software maintenance releases or bug fixes. After this date, Cisco Engineering will no longer develop, repair, maintain, or test the product software.
November 27, 2005
Last date of support
The last date to receive service and support for the product. After this date, all support services for the product are unavailable, and the product becomes obsolete.
November 27, 2009
Table 2. Product Part Numbers Affected by This Announcement
End-of-Sale Product Part Number
Cisco PIX Security Appliance Software Version 6.0 for the Cisco PIX 506/506E, 515/515E, 520, 525, and 535 chassis
Cisco PIX Security Appliance Software Version 6.1 for the Cisco PIX 506/506E, 515/515E, 520, 525, and 535 chassis
Cisco PIX Security Appliance Software Version 6.1 for the Cisco PIX 501 chassis
PRODUCT MIGRATION OPTIONS
The recommended replacement for Cisco PIX Security Appliance Software versions 6.0 and 6.1 is Cisco PIX Security Appliance Software Version 6.3 or later.
The recommended replacement for Cisco PIX Device Manager Version 1.1 is Cisco PIX Device Manager Version 3.0, which is bundled with Cisco PIX Security Appliance Software Version 6.3. Cisco PIX Device Manager Version 3.0 adds support for features delivered in Cisco PIX Security Appliance Software Version 6.3, and introduces a new "dashboard" homepage that provides system identification information and real-time status of CPU/memory utilization, network traffic per interface, interface status, VPN tunnel status and more in a single view.