Cisco® Unified Communications Solutions enable collaboration so that organizations can quickly adapt to market changes while increasing productivity, improving competitive advantage through speed and innovation, and delivering a rich-media experience across any workspace, securely and with optimal quality.
Cisco Unified MeetingPlace
® is an on-premises conferencing solution within Cisco Unified Communications. It delivers an exceptional user experience and interfaces that make it simple to set up, attend, and manage meetings. The solution extends the value of Cisco WebEx
® meeting applications with on-premises voice conferencing options that provide significant cost savings.
Improved Productivity and Accelerated Business Speed and Reach
Cisco Unified MeetingPlace provides on-premises audio conferencing. Used in conjunction with WebEx
® web conferencing, it promotes effective collaboration by allowing people to meet at anytime from anywhere without the expense and inefficiencies of traveling. You can expand your organization's reach; improve its operational effectiveness; and speed decision making by integrating audio, video, and web collaboration into everyday communications and reducing distance as a constraint to deploying expertise.
Cisco Unified MeetingPlace is deployed on-premises and integrated with your organization's internal IP networks using Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) architecture. On-premises deployment facilitates cost savings because it can use investments in IP networks and telephony to best advantage to reduce conferencing-related transport costs and services fees. The solution can be virtualized on the Cisco Unified Computing System
™ (Cisco UCS
™) platform to provide data center cost-effectiveness. IT organizations are looking for ways to substantially decrease cost of ownership while increasing IT business value. The Cisco Unified Computing System helps address these challenges by streamlining data center resources; scaling service delivery; and radically reducing the number of devices requiring setup, management, power and cooling, and cabling.
The multinode architecture of Cisco Unified MeetingPlace provides regional active resiliency for audio meetings. In addition, the solution is licensed based on the total number of active users globally, providing flexibility for midsize to large enterprises.
On-Premises Conferencing for Cisco WebEx Meeting Applications
Cisco Unified MeetingPlace is also fully integrated with Cisco WebEx meeting applications to combine the cost-savings advantages of on-premises audio conferencing with the productivity benefits of web conferencing delivered over the Cisco WebEx Collaboration Cloud.
Simple Conference Setup, Attendance, and Management
Cisco Unified MeetingPlace is integrated with multiple applications and devices to enable you to better assimilate conferencing into your business processes. Intuitive interfaces make setting up, attending, and managing meetings easy. Industry-standard protocols are supported to enable meeting attendance from virtually any phone or endpoint. The solution has unified audio and video capabilities so meeting access and in-meeting features are consistent across voice and video. This simple-to-use model leads to quick adoption and realization of productivity benefits.
Features and Benefits
Advanced Audio Conferencing
Cisco Unified MeetingPlace is the industry-leading on-premises audio conferencing solution. Users can connect to meetings from their desktop PC-based phones or mobile phones. User- and moderator-controlled functions, such as muting phones and private breakout discussions, help provide effective virtual meetings. The solution provides enhanced voice quality over any network with wideband audio and low-bit-rate codecs.
The WebEx callback feature provides an easy-to-use audio join method whereby the system calls the attendee - it is not necessary for the attendee to dial into the system. Simplifying and automating the join process means that meetings start on time and many conferencing frustrations such as entering dial-in numbers and access codes are eliminated.
Cisco Unified MeetingPlace optionally offers encrypted audio conferencing (Secure Real-Time Transport Protocol [SRTP]) with the Express Media Server option.
Native or WebEx Video
Cisco Unified MeetingPlace provides a fully integrated audio and video architecture that results in an effective and easy-to-use video experience. The solution supports a wide range of video standards, codecs, and video resolutions to help ensure broad endpoint connectivity. You can dial a single number to attend a meeting, and the system connects you to audio or video resources based on the capabilities of your endpoint.
In addition, WebEx web conferencing comes with advanced yet simple immediately active video that is supported natively. Users with web cams - and even video-enabled mobile devices and tablets - can view and share video.
Cisco WebEx Integration with Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Conferences
Cisco Unified MeetingPlace is designed to be integrated with Cisco WebEx meeting applications including Cisco WebEx Meeting Center, Event Center, and Training Center. The solution components are tightly integrated so users experience the simplicity of having a single point of setup, attendance, and meeting control across audio, video, and web conferencing. The solution provides the flexibility to set up and attend conferences from Cisco Unified MeetingPlace or Cisco WebEx user interfaces. Authentication is simplified with single sign-on (SSO) across the solutions. From the Cisco WebEx meeting interface you can dial out to your phones to attend, see who is speaking, and access voice controls, such as muting participants and locking the meeting (Figure 1).
Figure 1. Cisco WebEx Meeting Center Interface
Impromptu, Multiparty Conferencing for Cisco Unified Communications
Cisco Unified MeetingPlace can be used with Cisco Unified Communications client solutions to let users quickly initiate multiparty conferences. Combining presence, instant messaging, IP telephony, unified messaging, and rich-media conferencing helps virtual teams and organizations more effectively collaborate, innovate, and make decisions.
Rich-Media Conference Recordings
Cisco Unified MeetingPlace conferencing supports audio and video conference recording using Cisco WebEx (.arf) formatted files that you can download and edit with Cisco WebEx Recording Tools. When Cisco Unified MeetingPlace meetings are integrated with Cisco WebEx meetings, you can create, store, download, edit, and play back synchronized audio and web recordings.
Enterprise-Scale Conferencing Solution
Cisco Unified MeetingPlace conferencing provides deployment options to meet the needs of midsize to very large organizations in a global, distributed architecture. The solution has many global deployments in Fortune 500 companies. The solution delivers the scalability, reliability, simplified administration, security, and cost-effectiveness that IT organizations require. Multinode deployments scale to 16 nodes in multiple data centers that use a single WebEx site for all employees. The WebEx Meeting Center or Enterprise Edition site provides the scheduling interfaces using WebEx Productivity Tools, the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) integration option with WebEx Federated SSO, and many enterprise features. Cisco Unified MeetingPlace integrates with a WebEx site for all profile management capabilities as well. Web-based administration capabilities include report generation, conference monitoring, diagnostics, and interface configuration.
Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Media Servers
The Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Express Media Server provides a completely software-based solution that is co-resident with the application on a standard media convergence server (MCS). The capacity of the server depends on the codecs that are used as well as the video resolutions. It is recommended to transcode G.729/G/722 into G/722 in network digital-signal-processor (DSP) resources to achieve maximum capacity. Table 1 lists the capacities of the servers.
Cisco UCS B210 or C210 Blade Server or Cisco MCS 7845-I3 Media Convergence Server
G.711 audio only
G.711 + Desktop video
G.711 + High-quality video
G.711 + High-definition video
G.729/G.722 audio only
G.729/G.722 + Desktop video
G.729/G.722 + High-quality video
G.729/G.722 + High-definition video
Cisco Unified MeetingPlace System Specifications
A Cisco Unified MeetingPlace system can scale to 14,400 G.711 concurrent audio, 14,400 WebEx, and a variable number of video endpoints based on bandwidth requirements. A single large meeting can support up to 500 audio, 500 WebEx, and 240 video participants. With Cisco WebEx Event Center using audio broadcast streaming, meetings scale to 3000 audio and web participants and up to 500 on Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Audio.
Table 2 lists the specifications of the Cisco Unified MeetingPlace system.
Table 2. Cisco Unified MeetingPlace System Specifications
• System capacity follows: 14,400 concurrent audio and 14,400 concurrent web (with Secure Sockets Layer [SSL]).
• Maximum call rates at peak times follow: Audio at 20 calls per second, web, and video at 4 calls per second.
Application server capacities (with co-resident Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Express Media Server)
• One Cisco MCS 7845 I3-RC2 can support 1200 System Resource Units (SRUs). Refer to Table 1 for SRU calculations with various codecs and video bandwidths.
• You can edit Cisco WebEx audio and web (.arf) recordings with the Cisco WebEx Recording Editor.
• The Cisco WebEx Scheduling Model supports external meeting (.arf) recordings in the Cisco WebEx Collaboration Cloud.
• Audio and video recording or audio and web recordings are available.
• Audio-only recording is available in MP3, WAV, and Windows Media on the Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Scheduling model only.
• Synchronized audio and video recording is available in MPEG4, playable; the maximum recording period is 6 hours. (This feature requires a hardware media server with the Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Scheduling model.)
• Recording files can optionally be stored on storage-area network (SAN) or network access server (NAS) servers with the Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Scheduling model.
Voice and Videoconferencing
• The solution supports G.711, G.722, and G.729 audio compression using the Express Media Server.
• It supports dual tone multifrequency (DTMF) detection in-band (hardware media server only), Keypad Markup Language (KPML), and RFC 2833.
• The solution supports native SIP with Cisco Unified Communications Manager or Session Manager Edition.
• The solution supports Cisco WebEx high-quality video on Meeting Center and Training Center meetings.
• The application offers in-session audio meeting features.
• Scheduled or reservationless meetings are supported.
• The call-back feature is fully supported from WebEx.
• Meeting entries and departures are announced or beep-enabled.
• The WebEx Attendee code feature is supported for dial-in callers.
• Meeting hosts can mute individual users or all participants.
• Meeting hosts can dial out to an individual.
• Meeting hosts can lock meetings.
• Attendees can be screened as they enter the meeting.
• The solution offers voice prompt options for American English, British English, Japanese, European French, Canadian French, German, Brazilian Portuguese, Latin American Spanish, European Spanish, Russian, Mandarin Chinese, and Traditional Chinese.
• You can initiate and control Cisco Unified MeetingPlace voice conferences from a Cisco WebEx Meeting Center, Event Center, or Training Center.
Enterprises use WebEx high quality video or Cisco Unified MeetingPlace standard-based videoconferencing. No interoperability is available today between the two video options - one or the other must be chosen, but they cannot be mixed.
High-Quality Video Using WebEx Video (Cloud-Based Video)
• Cisco WebEx Meeting Center and Training Center offer webcam-based high-quality videoconferencing for up to 500 attendees in a single meeting.
• WebEx video is mixed in the Cisco WebEx Collaboration Cloud.
• Active Speaker switching is supported for 90p, 180p, and 360p formats.
• Participants can see up to six other video participants at a time in high-quality, full-screen video mode with Active Speaker switching that focuses on the person talking.
Standards-Based Videoconferencing: Express Media Server
• Video encoding standards include H.263 and H.264 with active speaker switching.
• The solution supports video endpoint devices in H.323/SIP or Skinny Client Control Protocol (SCCP) protocols.
• Live video resolutions follow: Common Intermediate Format (CIF) and 720p high definition (HD) for Cisco Services Framework (CSF) HD devices.
• Video automatically connects with video-enabled endpoints; no scheduling is required.
• A text overlay allows for user identification.
• The solution supports quality of service (QoS) with Differentiated Services (DiffServ).
• You can schedule or initiate immediate voice, video, and web conferences through the Cisco WebEx Productivity Tools, Cisco Unified MeetingPlace web interface, touch-tone or Cisco Unified IP Phone, Microsoft Outlook, or IBM Lotus Notes calendar.
• Calendar or email invitations are automatically distributed to invited participants with the information needed to attend the integrated rich-media conference or audio-only conferences.
• With a single click you can attend voice, video, and web conferences directly from your calendar, email notification, URL link, IM, or browser.
• You can initiate immediate meetings from Cisco Unified Personal Communicator, Cisco Unified Client for Microsoft Lync, or WebEx Connect
New Platform, Application, and Browser Support
• Platform Support
– Windows 8 (x86 and x64)
– Mac OS 10.8
– VMware ESXi 5.1
• Application Support
– Cisco Unified Communications Manager 9.1 and 10.0
– WebEx Business Release T29
– Microsoft Exchange 2013 and Outlook 2013
– IBM Domino Server 8.5.3 (x86 and x64) and Lotus Notes 8.5.3
• Each customer is provided with a dedicated Cisco Unified MeetingPlace solution integrated with the private network.
• Meeting organizers can require that participants authenticate themselves using individual logins to attend a meeting or to access the documents and recordings for a meeting. In addition, the Cisco Unified MeetingPlace system can automatically block out users after multiple failed login attempts.
• The solution offers a LDAP Version 3 directory interface to selected vendors' LDAP directories with either Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML) 1.0 or 2.0 or WS-Federated through the WebEx Federated SSO option if using the WebEx Scheduling model.
• Cisco WebEx conferencing supports encrypted webpages and web conferencing traffic using SSL and optionally public key infrastructure (PKI) encryption.
• Meeting organizers can change voice and web conferencing permissions, specify announced entry and departure, require passwords, lock the meeting, and eject unwanted attendees.
• The solution provides web-based Cisco Conference Manager with drag-and-drop capabilities for meeting moderation and monitoring across multiple deployment clusters.
• You can customize voice prompts (including music on hold).
• The standard configuration provides usage reports for voice and video and billing reports. Detailed raw data reports to track meeting and participant details for audio meetings are available. WebEx reporting for web conferencing is available for site administrators from the Cisco WebEx Collaboration Cloud.
• Remote management and monitoring are performed using Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) traps; alarms out-dial to a phone or pager.
• Multinode architecture provides active-active resiliency for site and regional distributed deployments in multiple data centers globally.
• Cisco Unified MeetingPlace conferencing provides a Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP)-based application programming interface (API) for external application integrations. It supports report data access; user provisioning; user authorization; system configuration; licensing; schedule, start, attend, and end meetings; in-session controls; and events.
Table 3 lists the Cisco UCS hardware models, and Table 4 lists the MCS models that Cisco Unified MeetingPlace supports.
Cisco and our certified partners can help you deploy a secure, resilient Cisco Unified Communications Solution so you can meet aggressive deployment schedules and accelerate your business advantage. The Cisco portfolio of services is based on proven methodologies for unifying voice, video, data, and mobile applications on fixed and mobile networks.
The unique Cisco lifecycle approach to services defines the requisite activities at each phase of the solution lifecycle. Customized planning and design services focus on creating a solution that meets your business needs. Award-winning technical support increases operational efficiency. Remote management services simplify day-to-day operations, and optimization services enhance solution performance as your business needs change.
With Cisco Unified Communications, your organization can easily integrate rich-media collaboration in your business to more effectively interact with virtual teams all over the world. You can simply transition across and between applications, such as presence, instant messaging, IP telephony, unified messaging, and rich-media collaboration as interactions warrant, independent of where you are or what device you use. These capabilities allow you to excel in today's fast-paced world and give you the agility your business needs to innovate and make decisions faster.