® Media Processing category, which includes the Cisco Media Experience Engine (MXE) Family of products, is a new class of devices designed to expand the reach and usefulness of video as a collaboration and communications tool. As a part of the Cisco any-to-any vision for network-based media processing, the Cisco Media Experience Engine Family provides a suite of media adaptation and customization features that allow Cisco and our partners and systems integrators to develop a broad range of media-oriented applications.
The Cisco MXE 5600 is a modular media-processing platform that combines advanced media-processing features with high performance and scalability to extend the reach of collaboration.
Based on the latest digital-signal-processor (DSP) architectures, the Cisco MXE 5600 Media Processing Module (MPM) comprises a dual-width blade encompassing state-of-the-art, high-performance media-processing capabilities and an extremely high-bandwidth backplane for unrestricted network connectivity (Figure 1). Support for Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) signaling allows easy integration of the Cisco MXE 5600 into your communications infrastructure. The result is high-performance, high-density, highly scalable, very flexible, and cost-effective processing of live media.
Figure 1. Cisco MXE 5600 Media Processing Module
Features and Benefits
In addition to those mentioned previously, the Cisco MXE 5600 MPM offers the following benefits:
• State-of-the-art DSP media processing provides high performance, high capacity, and high density.
• The Cisco MXE 5600 chassis can support up to three MPMs for very high scalability (Note: Cisco MXE Media Processing Platform Software 1.3 will support fully populated chassis configurations with three MPMs.)
• The blade form factor allows for easier servicing.
• Network connectivity is through a high-speed fabric backplane and separate network processing modules (NPMs); you can service MPMs without disturbing network cabling.
• The Cisco MXE 5600 MPMs are hot-swappable: The Cisco MXE 5600 is built to minimize downtime and improve operational availability.
• Blade-level LEDs indicate status, simplifying operations and maintenance.
Cisco MXE 5600 Media Processing Module
The Cisco MXE 5600 MPM supports up to 30 full-duplex high-definition (HD) (720p) video ports, meeting the demands of large enterprise deployments. Side-to-side airflow increases the system density within the Cisco MXE 5600 chassis, optimizing the use of rack space. Cooled by the redundant Cisco MXE 5600 chassis fan trays, the Cisco MXE 5600 MPM has no moving parts for increased reliability.
Coupled with the Cisco MXE 5600 Media Processing Platform Software, the Cisco MXE 5600 MPM delivers a rich set of media-processing capabilities accessible by applications and endpoints anywhere in your network.
• Standards compliance: The media-processing capabilities of the Cisco MXE 5600 MPM support a broad range of media codecs and formats, complying with industry standards to simplify interoperability with a range of systems and endpoints.
• Flexible transcoding: Both video and audio are converted among different standards, depending on the use case and the requirements of the source and destination endpoints. Using state-of-the-art DSP technologies, the Cisco MXE 5600 MPM performs real-time transcoding of media, adapting to network bandwidth and endpoint requirements, while introducing negligible latency and maintaining the quality of the user experience even in live, interactive use cases.
• Broad use case support: With its support for a rich set of media and signaling standards, the Cisco MXE 5600 MPM allows you to use the Cisco MXE 5600 in a broad range of applications and use cases.
The Cisco MXE 5600 supports licensing of capacity to meet customers' specific requirements. The capacity is licensed in increments of 10 HD (720p) full-duplex ports (up to 30 HD full-duplex ports per MPM).
The Cisco MXE 5600 also supports feature licensing. The first such feature supports interoperability between Cisco TelePresence
™ systems and other video conferencing endpoints.
Table 1 lists the specifications for the Cisco MXE 5600 Media Processing Module.
Table 1. Product Specifications
Cisco MXE 5600 Chassis
Up to three MPMs per Cisco MXE 5600 Chassis (Note: Cisco MXE Media Processing Platform Software 1.3 will support fully populated chassis configurations with three MPMs)
Cisco MXE 5600 Media Processing Platform Software Release 1.3
Cards, ports, and slots
Each MPM occupies 2 slots in Cisco MXE 5600 Chassis (slots 3-4, 5-6, or 7-8)
Up to 30 HD (720p) full-duplex ports per MPM
Reliability and availability
MTBF > 37,000 hours
Redundant 10-Gbps Ethernet connectivity to Cisco MXE 5600 NPM through high-speed fabric backplane
Physical dimensions (H x W x D)
2.4 x 14 x 11 in. (6 x 35.6 x 27.9 cm)
700 watts (maximum)
Ambient operating: 23 to 104ºF (-5 to 40ºC)
Ambient nonoperating: -40 to 158ºF (-40 to 70ºC)
Ambient (noncondensing) operating: 10 to 85%
Ambient (noncondensing) nonoperating and storage: Maximum 95%
Approvals and compliance
The Cisco MXE 5600 meets both safety and EMC requirements for the following countries and areas at first availability:
Australia and New Zealand Canada European Union Japan Korea
Russia United States
The Cisco MXE 5600 is intended for worldwide distribution to all Cisco theaters. Other countries and areas will be supported following first availability. Please request updated information from Cisco.
The Cisco MXE 5600 Media Processing Module is supported in the Cisco MXE Media Processing Platform Software Release 1.3.
For warranty information about the Cisco MXE 5600 MPM, please visit
Product Warranties at Cisco.com.
The Cisco Media Experience Engine (MXE) 5600 is currently orderable.
Cisco and our partners provide a broad portfolio of intelligent, personalized services and support that can help you realize the full value of your video investment, increase business agility and network availability. This portfolio of services drives business transformation through a network-based collaboration platform that enables business to collaborate anywhere, anytime. For more information about these services, visit: