Troubleshooting and FAQs
This chapter provides information on troubleshooting and frequently asked questions for the UCS-Server Configuration Utility.
This section lists various troubleshooting options while using the UCS-SCU application.
1. SCU prints No USB Disk on Key detected even after mapping virtual USB or connecting physical USB
•For USB devices mapped through vmedia, try USB reset from the vmedia GUI (virtual media session -> details -> USB Reset')
•For physical USB device, check the vendor/product information; try a different device.
2. After installing Windows OS, the KVM mouse does not work and windows device manager displays a yellow bang for USB human interface device
•Check the version of CIMC. Ensure that you have the latest version of CIMC installed on your server.
3. Windows 2008 installation fails with message - selected disk has MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.
•The EFI CDROM device for virtual drive was used to boot the Windows 2008 image. Use the CDROM device from BIOS `CDROM order
4. After installing the Windows operating system through UCS-SCU, the Windows device manager displays some devices with a yellow bang.
•The device may not be in the Cisco support matrix.
•You may not have selected some device drivers in the SCU GUI.
5. Windows setup fails with BSOD 0x7B (inaccessible boot device).
•You may not have selected the device driver for boot controller in SCU GUI.
6. On C200 servers, if ICH10R is configured in enhanced mode, the controller is not visible for RAID configuration.
•This is expected behavior. On C200 servers, ICH10R should be configured in SWRAID mode for RAID configuration to function.
7. After RAID configuration completes, the new disks that were created do not get updated in the inventory data.
•To see the newly configured disk in the inventory, you will need to reboot the server with the SCU image. SCU will perform the discovery again and display the configured disk in the inventory data.
8. During RHEL6 installation, if DHCP configuration is selected and DHCP fails to provide an IP address, the installation will display an error, prompting to continue (unlike RHEL5/RHEL4).
•Select continue (at the prompt), and the OS installation will go through fine. You can assign the IP address manually after the installation completes.
9. On servers with multiple hard disks (without a logical volume) PDisk tests, both quick and comprehensive fail with an error - at least one logical volume should be present.
•Create atleast one logical volume before starting the tests.
Frequently Asked Questions
This section lists the frequently asked questions.
1. Does UCS-SCU support the creation of nested RAID levels (RAID 10, 50, 60)?
Answer: No, UCS-SCU does not support the creation of nested RAID levels (RAID 10, 50, 60). However, you can configure these RAID levels by logging in to the LSI controller BIOS. We do not currently certify this method.
2. Does UCS-SCU support OS installation on SAN disks?
Answer: No, UCS-SCU does not support OS installation on SAN disks.
3. Does the network test in diagnostics support cards other than Broadcom and Intel?
Answer: No, network tests for other cards are not supported currently.