Using the Software Manager to Upgrade Cisco StadiumVision Mobile Software for Reporter and Streamer
First Published: May 26, 2015
Revised: June 12, 2015
This module describes using the Cisco StadiumVision Mobile Software Manager to:
- Upgrade an existing server already running Cisco StadiumVision Mobile (Release 2.0 or later) to a later) release in the supported ugrade path for Cisco StadiumVision Mobile Streamer and Cisco StadiumVision Reporter software.
This module includes the following topics:
Do not alter the RAID configuration prior to upgrade.
Before you begin upgrading an existing Cisco StadiumVision Mobile server, consider the following best practices:
- Choose an appropriate down time to perform the upgrade on the Cisco StadiumVision Mobile server when there is adequate time to complete and verify the upgrade before any scheduled events and to allow time to resolve any unexpected issues that might occur.
- Refer to the release notes available on Cisco.com for the latest information about hardware and software requirements, changes, important notes, and caveats for your software release.
- Pay particular attention to the required hardware and software versions for other devices supporting your Cisco StadiumVision solution and be sure that you upgrade those devices as needed. For example, generally only certain firmware versions are supported for the DMP hardware, or a new firmware version is needed to provide additional functionality supported by the Cisco StadiumVision Mobile software.
- Perform a backup and restore of the primary and secondary servers:
– Perform a backup of the currently active primary server.
– Restore the backup data onto the standby secondary server.
Note The config service must be running on the secondary server to do the restore.
For more information about performing a backup and restore on a Cisco StadiumVision Mobile Server, see the “Backing Up and Restoring Cisco StadiumVision Mobile Servers” module of the Cisco StadiumVision Mobile Server Administration Guide available at:
Be sure that the following requirements are met before you upgrade your server:
- Your server is running a minimum of Cisco StadiumVision Mobile Release 2.0 or higher.
- Follow the tasks described in the Cisco StadiumVision Mobile Installation and Upgrade Guide.
- You have the IP address and network access to the Cisco StadiumVision Mobile server where you want to upload the ISO upgrade image. You will need to use this information as part of the URL to access the ISO upload utility.
- You have a supported browser version for Cisco StadiumVision Mobile. For more information about the latest supported browsers, see the latest release notes available at:
Information About Using the Software Manager to Update Existing Cisco StadiumVision Mobile Software
The ISO upgrade procedure for Cisco StadiumVision Mobile includes the following tasks:
1. Downloading an ISO service pack or upgrade file from the software download site on Cisco.com at
2. Uploading the ISO file from your laptop to the Cisco StadiumVision Mobile server using the upload utility through your browser.
3. Installing the ISO image using the install function in the Software Manager.
ISO Upgrade Files
You can store multiple ISO upgrade files on a Cisco StadiumVision Mobile server. The files will be displayed with a version number and the ISO filename in the Software Manager web browser interface for you to select which file to install.
There is no automatic aging of ISO upgrade files, but you can delete files directly in the Software Manager. You can also determine disk utilization using the TUI: File system Disk Usage. Troubleshooting > Disk Monitoring > File System Disk Usage.
Additional information about disk monitoring and utilization can be found in the Cisco StadiumVision Mobile Streamer Administration Guide and Cisco StadiumVision Mobile Reporter Administration Guide available on Cisco.com at:
To upgrade your Cisco StadiumVision Mobile server, complete the following tasks:
Obtaining ISO Upgrade Files
Be sure to download the upgrade files to a location, such as a laptop computer, where you can access them for installation onto the Cisco StadiumVision Mobile server.
To download an ISO upgrade file, complete the following steps:
Step 1 Obtain the upgrade ISO.
Step 2 (Optional) To verify the integrity of your upgrade file from the download, you can use the Software Manager UI to verify the checksum on the.iso file.
The md5 checksum is calculated by the system, and is shown on the Software Manager UI. Compare what is shown on the UI and the downloaded md5 checksum displayed on the Cisco.com software download page.
The values should match. If they do not, retry the download.
Uploading and Installing an ISO Upgrade File to the Cisco StadiumVision Mobile Server
After you have downloaded the ISO upgrade file from Cisco.com, you will use the Software Manager to both upload the file to the Cisco StadiumVision Mobile server and to install the upgrade image.
Note If you are running Cisco StadiumVision Mobile Streamer or Reporter as a leaf node in a NTP network (as most are) then you should remove the undisciplined local clock to avoid having two clock sources. For additional information, refer to “Removing the Undisciplined Local Clock” section. Remove the undisciplined local clock on any new installation or upgrade that sets an NTP server.
Be sure that you know the IP address of the Cisco StadiumVision Mobile server where you want to upload the file, and you have a supported browser version for Cisco StadiumVision Mobile.
To upload an ISO upgrade file to the Cisco StadiumVision Mobile server, complete the following steps:
Step 1 Log into Cisco StadiumVision Mobile as an administrator.
Step 2 Select System_Tools > Software_Manager.
Step 3 From the Upgrade tab, click Upload.
Step 4 Navigate to the location of the ISO upgrade file that you downloaded from Cisco.com. Select the file that you want to upload and click Open. The file is sent to the server.
When the ISO upload is complete, one of the following occurs:
- The image is validated and uploaded successfully, a message will display stating that the ISO image has been uploaded.
- The image upload failed for some reason and you will need to retry the upload again.
The upload might take several minutes. Do
not refresh or reload the Software Manager page while the upload process is running. Any interruption will corrupt the ISO image being uploaded.
Step 5 Highlight the upgrade file, then click Install (Figure 1).
Figure 1 ISO File Selection and Upload
Step 6 The installation process begins, and status messages are displayed.
Step 7 After the installation is complete, Cisco StadiumVision Mobile services are restarted.