PDF(131.7 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:January 18, 2007
Cisco Unified Communications Solutions unify voice, video, data, and mobile applications on fixed and mobile networks enabling easy collaboration every time from any workspace.
The Cisco MCS 7835-I2 Media Convergence Server is a high-availability server platform for Cisco Unified Communications Solutions. An integral part of a complete, scalable architecture for a new generation of high-quality IP voice solutions that run on enterprise data networks, the Cisco MCS 7835-I2 delivers the high performance and availability demanded by today's enterprise networks - and it is easy to deploy and highly cost-effective. At only 2 rack units (2RU) high, the Cisco MCS 7835-I2 packs tremendous power in a low-profile chassis that minimizes rack space.
The Cisco MCS 7835-I2 can run any of the following Cisco applications:
• Cisco Unified Application Environment
• Cisco Unified Communications Manager (formerly known as Cisco Unified CallManager): Up to 2500 Cisco Unified IP Phones per server
• Cisco Emergency Responder: Up to 20,000 Cisco Unified IP Phones
The Cisco MCS 7835-I2 is a robust, highly available server platform designed to support today's Cisco Unified Communications applications. It includes such innovations as variable-speed fan support, NetBAY cabling support, and Light Path Diagnostics and Chipkill memory support. The Cisco MCS 7835-I2 occupies only 2RU rack space while providing the features most requested in a high-availability server platform.
High availability on the Cisco MCS 7835-I2 is achieved through the following mechanisms:
• Redundant hot-swap power supplies
• Hot-swap single-attachment-station (SAS) hard drives configured using Redundant Array of Independent Disks (RAID) 1
• Redundant hot-swap fans
The Cisco MCS 7835-I2 supports up to 48 GB of double-data-rate 2 (DDR2) memory. The increased processor performance coupled with DDR2 memory allows you to retrieve and process information quickly and efficiently. DDR memory executes twice the number of operations per cycle than traditional synchronous dynamic RAM (SDRAM) memory, effectively doubling the data exchange rate between memory and processors.
Variable-Speed Fan Support
The Cisco MCS 7835-I2 includes variable-speed fans to reduce operating noise. Through the use of temperature sensors within the server, the speed of the fans is adjusted to maintain the proper cooling, reducing the noise generated by the fans by operating them only when required and at a speed based upon the cooling requirements.
Advanced Connectivity Technology
The Cisco MCS 7835-I2 supports IBM's new NetBAY Advanced Connectivity Technology products that help reduce Keyboard/Video/Mouse (KVM) costs by linking administrators' chain systems together with Category 5 cable. In addition to reducing overall costs, Advanced Connectivity Technology reduces bulk cable clutter, making servers accessible and serviceable in the rack.
Light Path Diagnostics
The Cisco MCS 7835-I2 is equipped with Light Path Diagnostics, which provides a central information LED panel (visible without removing the cover) and individual LED lights throughout the system on items such as memory dual in-line memory modules (DIMMs), peripheral-component-interconnect (PCI) slots, power supplies, and CPUs. IT can quickly view system status, and service personnel can pinpoint the specific failing component, helping reduce downtime and service costs. Availability increases because nontechnical personnel can report error conditions without removing the top cover and exposing vital components to further risk. If the system error LED on the front of the server is on, one or more LEDs inside the server or on the power supply will be on. These LEDs can help identify and locate problems with some server components. By following the path of lights, you can quickly identify the type of system error that occurred. The Cisco MCS 7835-I2 is designed so that any LEDs that are illuminated remain illuminated when the server shuts down as long as the AC power source is good and the power supply can provide +5 VDC to the server.
Light Path Diagnostics provide indication of failures for the following conditions:
• One or both power supplies consuming power higher than maximum rating
• Power supply 1 failure
• Power supply 2 failure
• Error on voltage regulator module (VRM)
• Failure of one or both processors
• Hardware configuration error
• Memory error
• Nonmaskable interrupt
• Error on the system board
• Service processor failure
• Error on adapter in PCI-X slots A, B, or C
• Hard disk error
• Fan failure or slow operation
• System temperature higher than maximum rating
• Soft error
• RAID controller error
The RSA II SlimLine adds accelerated graphics and delivers advanced control and monitoring features to manage your Cisco MCS 7835-I2 server at virtually any time, from virtually any place. You can add the adapter card to the server through a connector that connects to the planar. This adapter facilitates easy console redirection with text and graphics, and keyboard and mouse (operating system must support universal-serial-bus [USB]) support over the system management LAN connections. With video compression now built into the adapter hardware, it is designed to allow the greater screen sizes and refresh rates that are becoming standard in the marketplace. This feature allows you to display server activities from power-on to full operation remotely, with remote interaction at virtually any time. The embedded Web server provides remote control from any standard Web browser. No additional software is required on the remote administrator's workstation. For those users who are accustomed to a command-line interface, administrators can also use the provided CLI from a Telnet session to perform some of the functions that they can perform from the Web server. The Remote Supervisor Adapter II SlimLine provides remote management and control of the system independent of the server status, in many cases even if the server is powered off or otherwise disabled.
Features and benefits include the following:
• The adapter continuously monitors system environmentals (temperatures and voltages), operating system status, and critical system components, such as processors, VRMs, memory, fans, power supplies, and power backplanes (where supported by the system).
• Video compression hardware is built in, eliminating drivers.
• Faster graphics support makes monitoring and control more efficient.
• RSA II SlimLine supports Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP).
• The adapter is integrated with IBM Director and Director Agent.
• Built-in LAN and serial connectivity supports virtually any network infrastructure.
• Multiple alerting functions warn systems administrators of potential problems, over e-mail, pager support, LAN, or Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP).
• The adapter installs on the system planar using a dedicated connector, eliminating the need to take a PCI-X slot.
The RSA II SlimLine features are similar to the RSA II with the exception of the following features:
• The reset button is not accessible from the back of the system.
• A mini-USB cable is no longer required; the device uses an internal USB bus. The system has a designated systems management Ethernet port, activated only when RSA II SlimLine is installed.
• An external AC adapter is not required (the device uses standby power from system power supplies).
• Status LEDs are not externally viewable.
• The RSA II SlimLine no longer supports the prior RSA II interconnect function.
36/72-GB DAT Tape Support
The Cisco MCS 7835-I2 can support an optional 36/72-GB USB external Digital Audio Tape (DAT) drive (part number DAT-USB-EXT-72=) or an optional USB rack-mount DAT drive (part number DAT-UDB-RM-72=). This tape drive connects through one of the USB 2.0 ports provided by the Cisco MCS 7835-I2.
Tables 1 and 2 list the configurations of the Cisco MCS 7835-I2.
Table 13. Ordering Information for Server Spare Parts
Spare Part Number
Spare Two 1024-MB SDRAM DIMM for Cisco MCS 7835-I2
Spare 72.3-GB SAS drive for Cisco MCS 7835-I2
Spare 146-GB SAS drive for Cisco MCS 7835-I2
Spare 835W power supply for Cisco MCS 7835-I2
Replacement Part Numbers
With the introduction of the new configurations using 146-GB disks in place of 72-GB disks, the orderability of the old configuration was terminated. Table 14 provides the replacement part numbers for those products that are no longer orderable.
Cisco Unified Communications Services allows you to accelerate cost savings and productivity gains associated with deploying a secure, resilient Cisco Unified Communications solution. Delivered by Cisco and our certified partners, our portfolio of services is based on proven methodologies for unifying voice, video, data, and mobile applications on fixed and mobile networks. Our unique lifecycle approach to services enhances your technology experience to accelerate true business advantage.