CCIEs Are Required to Recertify Every Two Years
Active CCIE status shows your commitment to maintaining expert-level knowledge in an industry critical to the success of virtually every organization. CCIEs are encouraged to continually expand their technical knowledge and are required to pass a recertification exam every two years. If you do not complete your recertification before the deadlines, your CCIE certification will be suspended and you and your employer will lose the benefits associated with your expert status. You have one year to reinstate your CCIE status before you become inactive and must begin the certification process all over again.
- Your recertification deadline can be viewed online anytime (with login) at Certification Status.
- Subsequent recertification deadlines are always based on your original certification date, not on when you took your last recertification exam.
- To maintain active status, every 24-months CCIEs are required to pass one of the following before the certification expiration date:
- Pass any current CCIE Written Exam OR CCIE Lab Exam or
- Pass the current CCDE Written Exam OR current CCDE Practical Exam, or
- Pass the Cisco Certified Architect (CCAr) interview AND the CCAr board review to extend lower certifications.
- CCIE certification automatically extends other Cisco Certifications, such as CCNP or CCNA.
- Candidates can only apply one passed written exam towards recertification for every 24 month recertification period.
- Candidates must wait five calendar days between attempts at the written exam.
- Certification candidates are responsible for keeping track of their certification expiration dates. Please plan your recertification accordingly. If your CCIE recertification requirements are not completed on or before the certification's expiration date, your CCIE certification will be suspended for one year. Candidates have one year to recertify their CCIE certification by passing the required written exam. If a candidate does not recertify prior to the one year deadline and your employer will be notified. Suspended candidates have one year to recertify their CCIE certification by passing the required written exam or practical lab before their expert level certification becomes permanently inactive. Inactive CCIE professionals lose all benefits and must pass both the CCIE written and lab or CCDE written or practical exams again.
- Achieving or recertifying CCIE automatically extends your active Entry, Associate, Professional or other Expert level certification(s), or Specialist certifications up to the expiration date of the latest CCIE, CCDE or CCAr certification achieved.
- Be sure to use the same ID number you were assigned for your original qualification exam to ensure your profile is updated accurately. If you have any questions about which ID number to use, contact CCIE support.
Recertification Exams Available
Written exams are two-hour, multiple-choice exams available at any worldwide Pearson VUE testing center. Schedule and pay for exams online with the testing vendor.
|Recertification Exams||Exam Number|
|CCDE Design Written Exam||#352-001|
|CCIE Data Center Written Exam||#350-080|
|CCIE Routing & Switching Written Exam||#350-001|
|CCIE Security Written Exam||#350-018|
|CCIE Service Provider Written Exam||#350-029|
|CCIE Service Provider Operations Written Exam||#350-060|
|CCIE Storage Networking Written Exam||#350-040|
|CCIE Voice Written Exam||#350-030|
|CCIE Wireless Written Exam||#350-050|