• New low-cost competitors: Ubiquitous broadband connectivity has lowered the barriers to entry for video services. "Over the top" (OTT) online video services are eroding incumbents' subscriber bases by offering a new, although limited, video experience at a low cost to the consumer.
• Rising prices for premium content: At the same time, the premium content that consumers desire (and that distinguishes full-service TV providers) has become more expensive as media companies and cable, satellite, and telco operators bid against each other for the most popular content.
A New Generation of Video Experiences
Figure 1. Next-Generation Multiscreen Video
Contextual and Synchronized
Figure 2. Contextual and Synchronized Video
Personalized "My TV"
Figure 3. Personalized TV
Figure 4. Social Viewing on TV
Focused on the Future
Cisco Videoscape Unity: An Experience-Centered Platform for Video Services
• An enhanced cloud to increase capabilities aligned to business needs
• An intelligent network to optimize capital and operating expenses (CapEx and OpEx)
• An immersive client approach to bring the new Cisco Videoscape Unity experiences anytime, anywhere, on any device
• User interface: Cisco Videoscape Unity strengthens the Cisco Videoscape platform most at the point where video providers and subscribers interact: the user experience. The platform now features the multi-award-winning Cisco Videoscape Snowflake user interface that allows you to create customized, immersive experiences for your subscribers.
• Client software: Cisco Videoscape Unity now includes industry-leading Cisco Videoscape MediaHighway client software from NDS, which is widely used to bring advanced experience and interaction to set-top boxes (STBs) and connected devices.
• Security: Incorporating industry-leading, multiplatform security technology from NDS, Cisco Videoscape Security Suite includes both Cisco VideoGuard® CA conditional access and Cisco VideoGuard DRM digital rights management products. These components provide the critical, end-to-end protection you need to monetize premium content and services across multiple screens.
• Advertising: Drawing on NDS technology, Cisco Videoscape Unity introduces new, more powerful ways to monetize content through addressable advertising.
• Subscriber and device management: Integrating capabilities from Cisco Conductor for Videoscape and NDS Unified Headend, Cisco Videoscape Unity offers highly advanced subscriber and device management capabilities.
Built Around Your Business Needs
• Modular: Cisco Videoscape Unity is based on modular building blocks with open APIs among all components. This lets you upgrade and enhance each component individually as your business needs change.
• Flexible: Most service providers already have installed components - for example, billing systems and video encoders - that they want to continue using as they deliver and offer new experiences. Because Cisco Videoscape Unity components have open interfaces, you can deploy them individually to reduce costs, and transparently insert them into your existing architecture.
• Open: Because Cisco Videoscape Unity employs a modular architecture with open APIs, you can also incorporate third-party components, even when building a completely new video system. We have a strong track record of deploying our video systems using third-party hardware, as well as deploying third-party software on Cisco STBs and gateways. This openness is a fundamental element of our business approach, and we will remain committed to it in the future.
• Fully customizable with Cisco Services: We recognize that differentiation is the key to your success. That is why Cisco, with the addition of NDS, has dedicated resources to fulfilling the unique vision of each of our customers, and delivering a differentiated subscriber experience. We offer industry-leading customization capabilities, tailored to your unique needs and vision, and integrated with our powerful cloud platform.
Cisco Videoscape Unity Offers
• First-class products: All Cisco Videoscape Unity offers provide the most advanced technologies, including cloud and scalable web technologies, multidevice HTML5 client software, remote user interface capabilities, and security. All are customized and integrated to address a specific service provider business challenge.
• Faster time-to-market: Cisco Videoscape Unity offers are based on open, standards-based solutions, but are prepackaged and integrated end-to-end. They provide everything you need to quickly launch new services and make them a success.
• An extensive and compelling roadmap: Each offer features an extensive roadmap that is tightly aligned to market dynamics. This helps to ensure that you can rapidly adjust to market changes and remain competitive.
• Investment protection: Each offer expands upon today's Cisco Videoscape Unity foundation to protect and build on your investment. And each is based on "no-regret" investments in Cisco Videoscape Unity solutions that can be enhanced in the future through software updates.
• Consistent experiences: Cisco Videoscape Unity offers blend broadcast and broadband capabilities and give you tools to provide the same level of service across one-way, two-way, and hybrid STBs and client devices. They provide a common experience and portability across both managed and unmanaged devices, allowing you to quickly extend your brand and services to new screens.
• Transparent, flexible pricing: Cisco offers a unified pricing model across cloud, network, and client elements, as well as optional support from Cisco Capital®, which offers competitive and flexible financing to help you acquire Cisco technologies.
• Service elasticity: Using modern cloud and IP technologies, you can quickly and continually adapt your video platform to meet the changing needs and tastes of your customers. Cloud elasticity allows you to introduce new applications with low upfront capital investment, and scale them as demand grows.
• Full customization: Cisco Services dedicates significant resources toward customizing any Cisco Videoscape Unity offer you deploy. We can help you fulfill your vision of delivering a unique subscriber experience that integrates with Cisco's powerful cloud platform and is tailored to your unique business needs.
• Cisco Videoscape Multiscreen Cloud DVR
• Cisco Videoscape Video Everywhere
• Cisco Videoscape IP Video Over Cable
• Cisco Videoscape Connected Video Gateway
Cisco Videoscape Multiscreen Cloud DVR Offer
• Catch up on their favorite shows on any device, anytime, anywhere
• Capture and manage recordings in the cloud, and play back on any device
• Pause and resume content from a companion device for total viewing control
• Avoid having to skip recordings due to a limited number of tuners and limited DVR space
• Browse and watch time-shift TV content (restart a live program from the beginning, navigate backward on the program guide to discover and watch content, pause live TV, etc.) on the STB or any connected device
• Add storage capacity without the need to purchase new hardware
• Combine previously installed hardware DVR and cloud DVR services with the ability to add cloud storage when hardware storage is full, and decide whether to record content in the home network or the cloud, in real time. Users will enjoy a transparent experience as they switch between content stored locally and in the cloud
• Grow your subscriber base and keep loyal customers happy with new capabilities and a better experience
• Remotely extend DVR services to existing customers without a costly truck roll, reducing OpEx
• Capture a broad range of content across MPEG, adaptive bit-rate (ABR), or other popular formats, directed either by the service provider or consumer
• Augment home DVRs with additional storage capacity in the cloud
• Up-sell higher service tiers with more storage capacity and more simultaneous recordings, without upgrading customer hardware
• Build a modular and open foundational infrastructure for advanced applications and services
• Reuse the same video and metadata stream for multiple screens and delivery methods, with support for both ABR and MPEG transport stream (MPEG TS) streaming technologies, and a completely automated process for capturing broadcast content and repurposing it for time-shifted and cloud DVR services
• Optimize and monetize end-user experiences with powerful Cisco policy and session management capabilities
• Extend content security across STBs and unmanaged devices with integrated DRM and conditional access management coupled with end-to-end security throughout the entire content lifetime
• Unify workflows and data center infrastructures for linear TV, video on demand, time-shift TV, and DVR, simplifying operations and lowering OpEx
Cisco Videoscape Video Everywhere Offer
• A pre-integrated, easily deployed solution that speeds up your time to market
• An advanced user interface that you can easily customize to meet your multiscreen needs
• Comprehensive metadata, content management, business rules management, and content preparation to extend the value of your existing investments
• A unified back end that consolidates content workflow, processing, packaging, and delivery for reduced OpEx
• Increased average revenue per user (ARPU) and decreased subscriber turnover with new, compelling subscriber features
• ABR streaming to provide a high-quality viewing experience over unmanaged networks
• An open system that accepts any transcoded stream, delivers across any content delivery network (CDN), and supports APIs for third-party developers to create synchronized companion-screen applications
• The ability to apply network, service, application, and subscriber analytics to improve quality of service (QoS)
• Receive dynamic contextual content on any screen
• Rapidly discover content with unified keyword global search and personalized recommendations from any source, across all customer devices
• Select on-demand content from an online catalog
• Use trick modes (pause, rewind, and fast forward) to view on-demand content
• Browse a unified user interface on all devices, including a 7-day program guide, full program synopses, "Now & Next" banner, and channel up and down navigation
• Use social TV applications to share and recommend content with friends
Cisco Videoscape IP Video Over Cable Offer
• Give subscribers an expanded choice of content and services, as well as interactive contextual experiences
• Empower subscribers to watch their favorite content on more managed devices and add unmanaged and companion devices
• Reclaim inefficient analog spectrum for new digital services
• Increase revenues with expanded linear, on-demand, and interactive offers
• Improve service velocity, with the ability to deliver new features and capabilities to your entire subscriber base
• Extend higher-tier, higher-value services across more subscribers and more client devices
• Deliver more video more efficiently
• Protect your investment with IP STBs that will have a long lifespan in your network. (Unlike digital-to-analog [DTA] converters, IP video STBs will continue to serve subscribers even as you deploy advanced services.)
Cisco Videoscape Connected Video Gateway Offer
• Use your existing hybrid broadcast-IP infrastructure to deliver linear and on-demand content to the home, while using the customer's own IP network to forward it to multiple devices
• Extend your branded service to unmanaged devices in the home through a single managed gateway device, reducing customer premises equipment (CPE) CapEx
• Manage video, user interfaces, and metadata for a wide array of IP-connected devices - TVs, tablets, PCs, game consoles, and IP STBs - from a central point, streamlining operations and reducing OpEx
• Support full IP network delivery in the future without needing to purchase additional CPE
• Remotely monitor and troubleshoot all devices to improve operations and reduce costly service calls
• Measure audience usage to personalize your service and improve QoS
• Watch linear and on-demand content on any IP-connected device according to their own schedules, whether inside the home or on the go
• Easily plug and play new devices as part of a home-network ecosystem
• Discover content faster using search and personalized recommendations powered by the cloud
• View contextual web content on companion screens for a more immersive TV experience
• Use contextual applications such as social TV to share popular content with friends, vote, and more
• Enjoy whole-home high-definition DVR capabilities to watch stored content or time-shift TV services on any connected IP device
• Simultaneously watch and record different events using any of the available multiple tuners
• Pause live TV on one screen and continue watching on another
• Watch personal content - home videos, photos, etc. - on the main TV screen through the home network
Cisco Videoscape Suites
Figure 5. Cisco Videoscape Unity Suites
• Cisco Videoscape Middleware Suite, including the market-leading Cisco Videoscape MediaHighway software solution from NDS
• Cisco Videoscape Origination Suite, a contribution-grade IP media solution to support even the most high-profile, mission-critical video environments
• Cisco Videoscape Media Suite, a full lifecycle content management platform to efficiently manage and publish content across multiple screens
• Cisco Videoscape Acquisition Suite, which uses advanced encoding and transcoding tools to help you deliver real-time and on-demand media to any device, in the best video quality based on the available bandwidth
• Cisco Videoscape Distribution Suite, an open, intelligent CDN platform for personalized media delivery across multiple screens, protocols, applications, and networks
• Cisco Videoscape Security Suite, a comprehensive conditional access and DRM security infrastructure for protecting TV services and premium content across multiple platforms and devices
• Cisco Videoscape Snowflake, which provides a dynamic, customized multiscreen experience for your subscribers, based on the award-winning Snowflake user interface from NDS
• Cisco Videoscape Advertising Suite, which provides integrated solutions for managing, delivering, and measuring multiscreen advertising across broadcast and IP networks, for linear and on-demand content services and applications
• Cisco Videoscape Control Suite, which provides advanced unified control of managed and unmanaged devices across both the IP and non-IP domains
• A comprehensive IP video architecture encompassing the enhanced cloud to expand your capabilities aligned to your business needs, an intelligent network to optimize CapEx and OpEx, and an immersive client approach to extend new experiences anytime, anywhere, on any device
• An open architecture. Cisco Videoscape Unity has openness engineered into its foundations. As the most comprehensive video architecture available, open interfaces between components are key to delivering a modular and manageable system. Add to this Cisco's commitment to working with third parties to complement and enhance the system, and Cisco's flexibility in integrating components our customers may have already deployed, and openness becomes a core capability of Cisco Videoscape Unity.
• Industry-leading content and service protection to both managed and unmanaged devices with Cisco VideoGuard, helping to ensure that you always have access to the best content, and can deliver this content to more devices
• The award-winning Cisco Videoscape Snowflake user experience, which is immersive, intuitive, and unified across multiple screens
• Unmatched cloud intelligence that allows you to understand and capitalize on your customers' preferences, profiles, and interactions across multiple screens and applications
• A premium quality of experience that surpasses "best-effort" media delivery by drawing on embedded IP intelligence that extends across the cloud, network, and clients
• Industry-leading integration and support services that accelerate your time to market and improve operational efficiency
• Investment protection through a clear migration path that lets you develop and monetize new services now, while providing the foundation for advanced future capabilities
• Proven industry leadership providing innovative video back-office, CDN, IPTV, CPE, and data center implementations for many of the largest, most successful service providers in the world
• A truly global network of service and support across five continents, with teams that speak your language and understand your specific market needs