|NOTE: This product is no longer being sold and might not be supported. View the End-of-Life Notice to learn:
NOTE: CiscoWorks VPN/Security Management Solution (VMS) is in maintenance mode with no further releases planned. Replacement products are currently available for the VMS applications. The following products perform many of the functions of CiscoWorks VMS:
- Cisco Security Manager replaces CiscoWorks Management Center for Firewalls, CiscoWorks Auto Update Server, CiscoWorks Management Center for IPS Sensors, CiscoWorks Management Center for VPN Routers, and CiscoWorks Monitoring Center for Performance.
- Cisco Security MARS replaces the CiscoWorks Monitoring Center for Security.
- Management Center for Cisco Security Agent is now available as a standalone product beginning with Cisco Security Agent Release 5.1.
CiscoWorks VPN/Security Management Solution (VMS) provides security management for Cisco devices. Cisco is not adding support for additional features and new devices in CiscoWorks VMS. Customers that require provisioning for Cisco firewalls, VPN’s, and Intrusion Prevention Systems (IPS) should consider the successor product Cisco Security Manager. Existing customers can plan their migration to take advantage of significant enhancements in the new software. View the upgrade options.
CiscoWorks VMS includes the following applications, organized by functional area:
- Firewall management - Enables the large-scale deployment of Cisco firewalls. Smart Rules is an innovative feature that allows a security policy to be consistently applied to all firewalls. Smart Rules allows a user to define common rules once, reducing configuration time and resulting in fewer administrative errors. See CiscoWorks Management Center for Firewalls and CiscoWorks Auto Update Server Software.
- Network IPS management and router-based IPS management - Enables configuration of network IPS and router-based IPS. Many sensors can be configured quickly using group profiles. Additionally, a powerful signature management feature is included to help increase the accuracy and specificity of detection. See CiscoWorks Management Center for IPS Sensors.
- Host IPS management - Scalable to thousands of endpoints per manager to support large enterprise deployments. The open and extensible architecture offers the capability to define and enforce security according to corporate policy. Offers "zero update" prevention for known and unknown attacks. See CiscoWorks Management Center for Cisco Security Agents.
- VPN router management - Provides functions for the setup and maintenance of large deployments of VPN connections and Cisco IOS firewalls on Cisco security routers and Cisco Catalyst 6000 VPN service modules. See CiscoWorks Management Center for VPN Routers. For the largest VPN router deployments, customers may also consider the Cisco IP Solution Center Security Management software, which is purchased separately from CiscoWorks VMS. See Cisco IP Solution Center Security Management.
- Security monitoring - Provides integrated monitoring to help administrators achieve a comprehensive view of security across the network, with event correlation to detect threats not apparent with individual events. See CiscoWorks Monitoring Center for Security.
- Performance monitoring - Provides functions for monitoring and troubleshooting the health and performance of security and VPN devices. See CiscoWorks Monitoring Center for Performance.
- Operational management -Allows network managers to build a complete network inventory, report on hardware and software changes, and manage software updates to multiple devices. See CiscoWorks Resource Manager Essentials.
- Common Services - Provides an application infrastructure for CiscoWorks VMS functions to share a common model for data storage, login, user role definitions, access privileges, and security protocols. See CiscoWorks Common Services Software.
To configure and manage Cisco PIX security appliances, VPNs, and IPS systems for smaller networks on a device-by-device basis, see the Cisco PIX Device Manager (PIX software versions 6.3 and earlier), Cisco Adaptive Security Device Manager (PIX software versions 7.0 and later), Cisco Router and Security Device Manager, and Cisco IPS Device Manager pages.