Simplify and Scale Virtual Networking
Get highly secure, multitenant services by adding virtualization intelligence to your data center network with Cisco Nexus 1000V Series Switches. These switches:
- Extend the network edge to the hypervisor and virtual machines
- Are built to scale for cloud networks
- Form the foundation of virtual network overlays, for the Cisco Open Network Environment and Software Defined Networking (SDN)
Get the Cisco Nexus 1000V Essential Edition at no cost.
Now data center virtual networks can integrate with cloud service providers. (4:07 min)
Advanced Networking for Hyper-V
Use Cisco Nexus 1000V for Microsoft Hyper-V to simplify your Windows Server 2012 virtual networkingGet Details
Features and Capabilities
Important differentiators for the Cisco Nexus 1000V virtual switch include:
- Extensive virtual network services, built on Cisco advanced service insertion and routing technology
- Support for a wide range of hypervisor environments, including open source
- Feature and management consistency for easy integration with the physical infrastructure
- Exceptional policy and control features for comprehensive networking functionality
- Policy management and control by the networking team instead of the server virtualization team (separation of duties)
Use Virtual Networking Services
The Cisco Nexus 1000V Switch optimizes the use of Layer 4-7 virtual networking services in virtual-machine and cloud environments through Cisco vPath architecture services.
Cisco vPath 2.0 supports service chaining, so you can use multiple virtual network services as part of a single traffic flow. For example, you can simply specify the network policy, and vPath 2.0 can direct traffic:
- First, through the Cisco ASA 1000V Cloud Firewall for tenant edge security
- Then, through the Cisco Virtual Security Gateway for Nexus 1000V Series Switch for a zoning firewall
In addition, Cisco vPath works on VXLAN to support movement between servers in different Layer 2 domains. Together, these features promote highly secure policy, application, and service delivery in the cloud.
Get a Comprehensive Virtual Services Platform
Cisco Nexus 1110 Virtual Services Appliance is a dedicated hardware platform for services that are critical for a virtualized infrastructure. The following virtual networking services are available for the Cisco Nexus 1110 Virtual Services Appliance family:
- Cisco Nexus 1000V Virtual Supervisor Module (VSM)
- Cisco Virtual Security Gateway for Nexus 1000V Series Switch
- Cisco Virtual Prime Network Analysis Module (NAM)
- Cisco Prime Data Center Network Manager
- Imperva SecureSphere Web Application Firewall
Connect your data center virtual networks and applications to cloud service providers.
A hybrid cloud approach consists of simplified, transparent integration between an on-premises enterprise data center with a cloud service provider. This integration includes:
- Highly secure Layer-2 networking connectivity between the enterprise data center and the cloud for workload mobility,
- The deployment of security and application services in the cloud
- Management features for hybrid cloud environment
To address these requirements, Cisco has developed the Cisco Nexus 1000V InterCloud architecture, which connects Cisco virtual data center environments to cloud providers.
See how Cisco brings together a complete virtualization portfolio. (4:54 min)
Specifications at a Glance
|Features||Essential Edition||Advanced Edition|
|Layer 2 switching: VLANs, private VLANs, VXLAN, loop prevention, multicast, virtual PortChannels, LACP, ACLs||Yes||Yes|
|Network management: SPAN, ERSPAN, NetFlow 9, vTracker, vCenter Server plug-in||Yes||Yes|
|Enhanced QoS features||Yes||Yes|
|Security: DHCP Snooping, IP Source Guard, Dynamic ARP Inspection, Cisco TrustSec SGA support||No||Yes|
|Cisco Virtual Security Gateway||Supported1||Included|
|Other virtual services (Cisco ASA 1000V, Cisco vWAAS, etc.)||Available separately||Available separately|
1 Shipping VSG versions are supported on both Essential and Advanced editions. In the future, VSG will only be available through the Cisco Nexus 1000V Switch Advanced Edition. (It is no longer available as a standalone product).
- VXLAN Fundamentals (4:01 min)
See an introductory video on VXLAN technology in the Cisco Nexus 1000V virtual switch.
Learn how Cisco Nexus 1000V lays the foundation for virtual network overlays. (5:09 min)Read White Paper (PDF - 570 KB)