Update Cisco IOS Software
This refers to: Replacing one release with another without upgrading the feature set. Update to fix a bug or to replace a release that is no longer supported.
General Rules for Updating
Upgrade Cisco IOS Software
This refers to: Replacing a release with one that has an upgraded feature set. Upgrade to add new features or technologies, or replace a release that is no longer supported. Upgrades are not free of charge.
Guidelines for Upgrades
- Find a replacement release using the Software Table.
- Go to Download Software Area to select the new feature set and check memory requirements for your hardware.
- Check bugs on new release by performing a bug scrub with the Cisco Bug Toolkit.
- Buy an upgrade license from Ordering on Cisco.com.
- Order a CD or Feature Pack (optional) from Ordering on Cisco.com.
- Download a release.
Cisco IOS Auto-Upgrade Manager
Cisco IOS Auto-Upgrade Manager automates the process of updating or upgrading Cisco IOS Software versions on Cisco 1800, 2800, and 3800 Series Integrated Services Routers directly from the console with Cisco IOS 12.4(15)T or later versions.