As a small business owner, seeing what is happening in and around your business can be critical for your company's operations, finances, safety, and security. To help safeguard your business assets, employees, and customers, you need effective video surveillance both day and night.
Designed for the unique needs of small businesses, the Cisco® VC220 Dome Network Camera is a flexible, unobtrusive video surveillance solution that delivers premium camera features and outstanding video quality at an affordable price (Figure 1). This indoor camera functions effectively day and night, with a wide dynamic range (WDR) that allows you to use a single camera with high video quality output for many lighting situations. It integrates easily with your business network to provide local and remote video surveillance. As part of a complete IP network solution, the Cisco VC220 can help your business see more ways to improve operations, safety, and security. The Cisco VC220 Dome Network Camera lets you:
• View live video and audio of your business from anywhere, day or night, using an Internet-connected PC
or mobile phone
• Integrate alarms, door sensors, motion detectors, and other business systems into your video solution
• Receive automatic alerts, including video clips or still images, whenever motion is detected on your premises
• Rapidly search video archives and configure and control your camera with the included video monitoring software
• Mount the camera on a ceiling or wall
Figure 1. Cisco VC220 Dome Network Camera
Features and Benefits
The Cisco VC220 Dome Network Camera provides:
• Superior camera quality and control: The Cisco VC220 features a WDR complementary metal-oxide semiconductor (CMOS) sensor and built-in infrared LEDs and infrared cut filter for optimal image quality, regardless of lighting levels day or night.
• Remote monitoring: The Cisco VC220 lets you access real-time video and audio from any Internet-connected PC, mobile phone, or Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) Audio and Video client. Its remote accessibility lets you enjoy peace of mind when you are away from the office.
• Rich application support: The Cisco VC220 supports two-way audio and input/output ports to support a variety of applications. You can link the Cisco VC220 surveillance system to door and motion sensors, alarms, lighting systems, or phone systems. In addition, you can add the Cisco Advanced Video Monitoring System (AVMS) software to integrate the solution with business systems such as point-of-sale (POS) equipment, count and analyze activities, search POS data, and retrieve video for particular transactions.
• Fast, simple installation: The Cisco VC220 is easy to install on a wall, or ceiling. It features Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) support, so you can power and control the camera with just one network cable. Optional enclosures support recessed mounting and provide additional protection. Easy to set up, an intuitive graphical user interface in the included video software makes it easy to deploy cameras and sensor systems and set up intelligent alerts.
• Included video monitoring software: Other IP surveillance systems require costly video monitoring software. The Cisco VC220 includes-at no extra charge-a complete monitoring suite that lets you easily configure and control up to 16 cameras at once. For larger camera deployments and more monitoring functionality including business analytics, the Cisco Advanced Video Monitoring System software is available and can be evaluated with a 30-day free trial.
• A complete surveillance solution: The Cisco VC220 is part of a growing family of IP network surveillance cameras designed as a fully integrated component of your Cisco Small Business network. With a broad portfolio of small business routing and switching, data storage, and telephony technologies, Cisco offers a comprehensive video, voice, and data solution for your business.
A summary of camera features follows:
• The dome camera allows for flexible installation on ceilings or walls.
• A 1-/3.3-inch WDR sensor delivers high-quality video.
• The camera features a three-axis mechanical design.
• The camera has a 3.3- to 12-mm varifocal board lens with auto-iris (3.6x optical zoom + 4x digital zoom).
• Built-in infrared (IR) LEDs with an IR cut filter offer complete day and night functions.
• A built-in passive IR (PIR) sensor provides thermal detection.
• The camera has an audio input/output port for an external microphone or speaker (Figure 3).
• Integrated I/O ports help facilitate alarm triggers, turning on and off lights, etc. (Figure 3).
• PoE allows for flexible one-cable installation (Figure 2).
• The camera supports two codecs: MPEG-4 and MJPEG.
• IP Multicast is supported.
• Instant video recording directly from browser.
• The camera supports Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP) video and audio streaming to IP Unicast and IP Multicast clients.
• Third-Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) support allows viewing of video on a mobile device.
• When motion is detected an Event Notifications is sent to an email account or alarm log in the monitoring software.
• JPEG snapshots taken at multiple resolutions can be sent to an FTP server.
• The camera offers overlay text and time stamps.
• The camera supports up to 10 IP Unicast users and an unlimited number of IP Multicast users.
• The camera supports up to a 20-user local database for access management.
• The camera has a built-in web server for remote access over IP.
• Management is secure, over Secure HTTP (HTTPS).
• The housing is rugged and tamper-resistant.
• An optional VC025 enclosure provides a recessed mounting option (Figure 4).
• Software for monitoring and recording up to 16 cameras simultaneously is included.
Figure 2. Power Jack Port and Ethernet port with Power over Ethernet
Figure 3. Integrated I/O ports for External Microphone, Speaker and Alarm Triggers
Figure 4. Optional VC025 Recessed Mount
Table 1 gives the specifications, package contents, and minimum requirements for the Cisco VC220 Dome Network Camera, and Table 2 gives ordering information.
Table 1. Product Specifications, Package Contents, and Requirements
IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.3u, IEEE 802.1p (quality of service [QoS] Priority), IEEE 802.1q (VLAN), and IEEE 802.3af
TCP/IP, HTTP, HTTPS, Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP), Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP), FTP, Network Time Protocol (NTP), Domain Name System (DNS), UPnP, Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP), Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP) and Dynamic DNS (DDNS), Bonjour, and Jabber
Ethernet with PoE, microphone IN, speaker OUT, power (12V, 1A), general-purpose I/O (GPIO)
Unshielded twisted pair (UTP) Category 5
Power and Network
• Input control x 1 (2 pins)
• Output control x 1 (2 pins)
1-/3.3-inch WDR sensor
0.4 lux @ F1.7 in day mode, 0 lux in night mode
Board-mount lens, varifocal
500 mm to ~infinity (for included lens)
Field of view
23.9 to ~89.9º
640 x 480 (VGA), 320 x 240 (QVGA), and 176 x 144 (QCIF for mobile client)
Selectable 1 to 30 frames per second (fps), dual streams, and 3rd generation (3G) mobile stream
Setup, Configuration, and Management
Web user interface
Built-in web user interface for easy browser-based configuration (HTTP)
Internet Explorer 6.0 or later and limited support for Firefox 3.0
Event logging (syslog)
Web firmware upgrade
Firmware upgradable through web browser
• MPEG-4 simple profile
• Simultaneous dual stream
Brightness and contrast
4x digital zoom
IR cut filter for low light
Auto-white balance (AWB) and auto-electric shutter (AES)
Select video by quality, bandwidth, and frame rate
3GPP for use with 3G phones
Three detection areas with individual sensitivity
One email address per event setting
FTP server address and login settings
Jabber client support
Schedule by day or time
Motion detection, periodic trigger by configurable minutes, digital input (1), PIR sensor, and system boot
GPIO Output messaging, email, and FTP
2-way audio (simplex) and 1-way audio
6 mm, -33 dB, and + 21 dB
3.5-mm phone jack
3.5-mm phone jack
Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) and Global System for Mobile Communications- Adaptive Multi-rate (GSM-AMR)
Included Cisco Video Monitoring System Software (SWVMS16)
Monitoring and recording software
• Monitoring and recording for up to 16 cameras
• Advanced search histogram or by time and date
• Recording set up to record by motion trigger, manual, or schedule recording and playback
Provides user rights list to view video or to control camera functions
Username and password
Authenticates login with optional minimum password strength
RTP and RTSP
Allow for viewing from any client supporting these protocols, such as 3G phones or Apple QuickTime client
Keeps time of camera in sync with your network
SMTP & SSL SMTP
Allows video clips to be emailed
Facilitates scheduling transfer of images to an FTP server
Facilitates reaching the camera by a name irrespective of IP address of camera; supports DynDNS, 3322 and TZO Dynamic DNS services
Allows autodiscovery of the camera by other UPnP devices. UPnP A/V Server, UPnP Traversal (Port Mapping)
Allows or denies access by IP address
• IEEE 802.3af Power over Ethernet (PoE): 48V, 0.3A
• External power adapter: 12V, 1A; 110 to 120 VAC, 60 Hz; and switching
Dimensions (H x D)
4.17" x 5.63"
1.15 lb (0.52 kg)
External power adapter: 12 VDC, 1A; 110 to 120 VAC, 60 Hz switching; or PoE 48V, 0.3A
FCC part 15C class B, CE, UL, EMC/EMI part 15B class B for US, GOST-R
32 to 122ºF (0 to 50ºC)
-4 to 158ºF (-20 to 70ºC)
20 to 80%
0 to 90%
• Cisco VC220 Dome Network Camera
• Mounting accessories (tamper-resistant Torx screwdriver, ceiling-mount anchors and screws, a GPIO terminal connector, and an alignment sticker)
• Power supply (12V, 1A)
• 6-foot (1.83m) Ethernet cable
• Quick installation guide
• CD with discovery tool, Cisco Small Business Video Monitoring System Software, and user documentation
• Two audio 3.5- to 3.5-mm right-angle adapters
Minimum Requirements (Camera)
• Wired Ethernet network
• Wired or wireless PC with TCP/IP protocol installed
• Switch or router to support multiple connection points
• Internet Explorer Version 6 or later with ActiveX support for viewing
• Microsoft Windows Vista, or XP· 2-GHz Pentium 4, or AMD Athlon Class CPU with 512-MB RAM
• Video adapter with 128-MB internal memory
Minimum Video Monitoring System Requirements (4-Camera Viewing)
• CPU: Intel Pentium 4; 2.4 GHz
• RAM: 512 MB
• Motherboard: Intel 945 or 965 chip or later; Intel chipset recommended
• Video card: ATI Radeon 9200, NVIDIA GeForce FX-5200, or Intel 945G/965G or later; ATI recommended
• Ethernet: 100BASE-T or later; Gigabit LAN recommended
• Hard disk: 80 GB or more
• Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2, or Microsoft Vista
Table 2. Ordering Information
Cisco VC220 Dome Network Camera with Day/Night/WDR image capability, PoE, and Audio I/O
Recessed Ceiling Mount for Cisco VC220
Cisco Limited Warranty for Cisco Small Business Series Products
In addition to a 3-year limited hardware warranty with return to factory replacement and a 90-day limited software warranty, Cisco offers software application updates for bug fixes and telephone technical support at no charge for the first 12 months following the date of purchase. To download software updates, go to: http://www.cisco.com/go/smallbiz.