The Cisco® Network Building Mediator ("Mediator") is the industry's first solution that extends the network as a platform to transform the way buildings are built, operated, and experienced. The Mediator:
• Helps reduce energy usage across global operations
• Leverages Cisco's expertise in collaboration, convergence, and security to foster sustainable energy use
• Provides flexible integration of new technologies that deliver energy efficiency, clean energy, and environmental stewardship
The Mediator powers an energy-efficient intranet by enabling, converging, and balancing four key elements: building systems, IT, energy supply, and energy demand. The integration of these disparate systems onto an IP network leads to a truly converged, energy-efficient building.
The Mediator's strategy is built on:
• Any-to-any connectivity: Building, IT, and "green" technologies
• End-to-end management: Efficiency, conservation, and de-carbonization
• Extensible platform: Third-party applications and cloud services
The Mediator collects data from the building, IT, energy supply, and energy demand systems, which use different protocols and are otherwise unable to communicate. It then normalizes the data into a common data representation. This enables the Mediator to perform any-to-any protocol translation and to provide information to the end user in a uniform presentation.
This network-based framework creates a common, standards-based, open platform that then allows enterprise applications, cloud services, and building/IT systems to communicate. The Mediator is protocol-agnostic and extends the network to serve as an effective foundation for sustainability management.
Benefits of the Cisco Network Building Mediator
The Mediator provides the following customer benefits:
• Reduced total cost of ownership (TCO)
• Simplified management of energy and facilities
• Flexible integration of building, IT, and clean technology systems
• Enhanced uptime and resiliency with networking technology
• Secure, high-quality delivery of concurrent building and IT services
• A future-proofed investment with third-party applications and cloud services
Table 1. Cisco Network Building Mediator Key Product Features
• Supports Cisco EnergyWise technology to manage energy across IT and facilities
• Supports network protocols such as SNMP and SOAP/XML
• Supports open standard building automation protocols such as BACnet and Modbus
• Supports other third-party building automation protocols
• Uses any-to-any protocol translation to allow communication between multivendor systems
• Supports energy meters, including pulse meters and smart meters (Modbus or IP)
• Flexibly integrates energy-generating and energy-consuming devices
• Provides tools to monitor real-time energy consumption
• Provides tools to create automated policies to control energy consumption
• Supports automated demand response and automated fault diagnostics
• Provides a hardened platform that is secured using the Cisco Self-Defending Network
• Increases user security through role-based access control
• Helps secure communications via certificate encryptions
Configuration and programming tools
• Provides interactive, menu-driven tools that allow the user to:
• Configure the interfaces and protocols on the Mediator
• Create and edit schedules, alarms, logs, and trends
• Perform remote installation
• Back up and restore configurations
• Provides a graphical programming tool that allows users with a working knowledge of controls and automation to translate their knowledge into efficient and powerful control logic
• Provides a web-based management framework
• Allows administrators to control and manage devices over the Internet
• Presents real-time information to users in web-based graphical views
• Enables the creation of customized web pages for facility operations management
Cloud services platform
• Provides a standards-based open interface that allows third-party applications to integrate with the Mediator and offer services over the cloud
• Examples of cloud services include:
• Remote energy management
• Automated demand response
• Automated fault diagnostics
• Remote facility management
The Cisco Network Building Mediator is an appliance that is available in the following configurations:
Cisco Network Building Mediator 4800
Designed for enterprise and campus.
Supports up to 5000 points.
Cisco Network Building Mediator 2400
Designed for branch and retail.
Supports up to 1000 points.
Note: A "point" is a generic term used to describe a single item of information in a building control system. Examples of points include the temperature of a room, duct pressure of an air handling unit (AHU), and chiller water flow rate.
Licensing: The Mediator provides a flexible, "pay-as-you-grow" licensing mechanism that gives customers the option to add additional points and protocols as needed. There are two types of licenses:
1. Point licenses: Each Mediator comes with a certain number of built-in points that can be configured per appliance. Customers can purchases additional licenses to increase the number of points.
2. Protocol licenses: Each Mediator comes with a certain set of built-in protocols. Additional protocol licenses may be purchased according to the requirements of the project.
Product Ordering Information
Cisco Network Building Mediator 4800-Includes 2000 Pts
Cisco Network Building Mediator 4800-Add 1000 Pts License
Cisco Network Building Mediator 4800-Intermediate Protocols
Cisco Network Building Mediator 4800-Advanced Protocols
Cisco Network Building Mediator 2400-Includes 250 Pts
Cisco Network Building Mediator 2400-Add 250 Pts License
Cisco Network Building Mediator 2400-Intermediate Protocols
For more details on licenses and supported protocols, please contact your Cisco reseller or account representative.
4- Counters (optional, general-purpose digital inputs)
2- Solid-state single-pole relay outputs (0 to 60V, 1.0A AC/2.0A DC outputs, opto-isolated)
24V DC or AC (24V universal DC power supply provided with unit)
Typically 6W (maximum of 10W)
Approximately 35 oz.
Approximately 8 x 6 x 1 in. (housing cover)
Recommended ambient range: 0° to 70°C (32° to 158°F)
Safety: UL 60950-1, CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 60950-1
EMC Emissions: 47CFR Part 15 (CFR 47) Class A, CISPR2 2 Class A, EN55022 Class A, ICES003 Class A, EN61000-3-2, EN61000-3-3
The Cisco Network Building Mediator is supported by a Cisco 1-Year Limited Hardware Warranty. Find detailed warranty information on Cisco.com at the Product Warranties page.
Cisco Services and Support
Cisco and our partners offer a wide range of services programs to accelerate customer success and help improve your return on investment. These innovative programs are delivered through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners, resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction. Cisco services help accelerate migration by assessing the readiness of your network, developing a sound design, and supporting a smooth implementation through effective planning and expert installation, configuration, and integration. Cisco services help you protect and extend the value of your network investment with award-winning technical support, optimize network operations, and prepare your network for new applications to extend network intelligence and the power of your business. For more information about Cisco services, visit Cisco Technical Services or Cisco Advanced Services.
Cisco SMARTnet® Foundational Capabilities
The foundational capabilities included in most Cisco Technical Services help ensure that your basic network infrastructure is available to support your business every minute of every day. The foundational capabilities of Cisco SMARTnet for Cisco Network Building Mediator are:
• Around-the-clock, global access to the Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC) for accurate diagnosis and resolution of issues by Cisco support experts.
• Access to the extensive Cisco.com knowledgebase and tools.
• Next-business-day advance hardware replacement. Maintain business continuity by quickly restoring network operations. Replacement hardware is available eight hours per day (delivering the replacement hardware during normal business hours only), five days a week, with next-business-day delivery.
• Ongoing operating system software updates and upgrades, including minor and major releases within the licensed feature set. Extends the useful life of your Cisco network and increases the value of your technology investment with regular software updates and upgrades.
Technical Services ordering information for Cisco Network Building Mediator:
SMARTnet 8x5xNBD* NBM4800-K9
SMARTnet 8x5xNBD NBM2400-K9
* 8x5xNBD = Eight hours per day during normal business hours, five days per week with next-business-day delivery.
For More Information
For more information about the Cisco Network Building Mediator, visit www.cisco.com/go/mediator or contact your local account representative.