The Cisco® 100BASE-X Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP) device (Figure 1) is a hot-swappable input/output device that plugs into Fast Ethernet ports, dual-rate Fast/Gigabit Ethernet ports, or Gigabit Ethernet ports of a Cisco switch or router, linking the port with the fiber cabling network.
Main features include the following:
• Hot-swappable when deployed, the switch or router does not have to reboot
• Supports the "pay-as-you-populate" model
• Interchangeable with other 100BASE-X SFPs on the same line card
• Supports the Cisco quality ID feature that enables the switch or router to identify whether or not the SFP is a Cisco qualified SFP
• Optically interoperable with respective 100BASE-X Ethernet interfaces on the same link
Figure 1. Cisco 100M Ethernet SFP
Cisco 100BASE-FX SFP
The Cisco 100BASE-FX SFP operates on ordinary multimode fiber-optic (MMF) link spans up to 2 kilometers (km) long.
GLC-FE-100FX modules operate in Fast Ethernet or dual-rate Fast/Gigabit Ethernet ports of Cisco switches and routers.
GLC-FE-100FX-RGD modules operate in Fast Ethernet or dual-rate Fast/Gigabit Ethernet ports of Cisco Industrial Ethernet and SmartGrid switches and routers.
GLC-GE-100FX modules operate in Gigabit Ethernet ports of Cisco switches and routers.
All these modules are interoperable with industrywide interfaces compliant to the IEEE 100BASE-FX standard.
Cisco 100BASE-LX10 SFP
The Cisco 100BASE-LX10 SFP operates on ordinary single-mode fiber-optic (SMF) link spans up to 10 km long.
GLC-FE-100LX modules operate in Fast Ethernet or dual-rate Fast/Gigabit Ethernet ports of Cisco switches and routers.
GLC-FE-100LX-RGD modules operate in Fast Ethernet or dual-rate Fast/Gigabit Ethernet ports of Cisco Industrial Ethernet and SmartGrid switches and routers.
These modules are interoperable with industrywide interfaces compliant to the IEEE 100BASE-LX10 standard.
Cisco 100BASE-BX10 SFP
The Cisco 100BASE-BX10 (part numbers GLC-FE-100BX-D and GLC-FE-100BX-U) SFPs operate on ordinary SMF single-strand link spans up to 10 km long. A 100BASE-BX10-D device is always connected a 100BASE-BX10-U device with a single strand of standard SMF with an operating transmission range up to 10 km. The communication over a single strand of fiber is achieved by separating the transmission wavelength of the two devices as depicted in Figure 2. 100BASE-BX10-D transmits a 1550-nm channel and receives a 1310-nm signal, whereas a 100BASE-BX10-U transmits a 1310-nm wavelength and receives a 1550-nm signal. Note in Figure 2 the presence of a wavelength-division multiplexing (WDM) splitter integrated into the SFP to split the 1310-nm and 1550-nm light paths.
Figure 2. Bidirectional Transmission on a Single Strand of SMF
Cisco 100BASE-EX SFP
The Cisco 100BASE-EX SFP operates on ordinary SMF link spans up to 40 km long.
GLC-FE-100EX modules operate in Fast Ethernet or dual-rate Fast/Gigabit Ethernet ports of Cisco switches and routers.
Cisco 100BASE-ZX SFP
The Cisco 100BASE-ZX SFP operates on ordinary SMF link spans up to 80 km long.
GLC-FE-100ZX modules operate in Fast Ethernet or dual-rate Fast/Gigabit Ethernet ports of Cisco switches and routers.
Connectors: Dual LC connector (GLC-FE-100FX, GLC-FE-100FX-RGD, GLC-GE-100FX, GLC-FE-100LX, GLC-FE-100LX-RGD, GLC-FE-100EX, and GLC-FE-100ZX) or single LC connector (GLC-FE-100BX-D and GLC-FE-100BX-U)
Table 1 provides cabling specifications for the SFPs for installation in a Fast Ethernet SFP port. Note that all SFP ports have LC-type connectors, and the minimum cable distance for all SFPs listed (MMF and SMF [G.652]) is 2 meters (6.5 feet).
Table 1. SFP Port Cabling Specifications
2 km (6,562 ft)
10 km (32,810 ft)
10 km (32,810 ft)
10 km (32,810 ft)
40 km (131,240 ft)
80 km (262,480 ft)
Table 2 gives information about fiber loss.
Table 2. Fiber-Loss Budgets
Dimensions (H x W x D): 8.5 x 13.4 x 56.5 mm
Environmental Conditions and Power Requirements
• Operating temperature range:
– Commercial temperature range (COM): 0 to 70°C (32 to 158°F), applicable to GLC-FE-100FX, GLC-FE-100LX, GLC-GE-100FX, GLC-FE-100BX-D, GLC-FE-100BX-U, GLC-FE-100EX, and GLC-FE-100ZX
– Industrial temperature range (IND): -40 to 85°C (-40 to 185°F), applicable to GLC-FE-100FX-RGD and GLC-FE-100LX-RGD
• Storage temperature range: -40 to 85°C (-40 to 185°F)
• Power consumption:
– GLC-FE-100FX, GLC-FE-100FX-RGD, GLC-FE-100BX-D, GLC-FE-100BX-U, GLC-FE-100EX, and GLC-FE-100ZX modules consume up to 1W per port
– GLC-GE-100FX modules typically consume 1.5W per port (up to 1.7W)
• Standard warranty: 90 days
• Extended warranty (option): Available under a Cisco SMARTnet® Support contract for the Cisco switch or router chassis
Table 3 gives ordering information for the Cisco SFP.
Table 3. Ordering Cisco SFP
100BASE-FX SFP for Fast Ethernet SFP Ports
100BASE-FX Rugged SFP for Fast Ethernet SFP Ports
100BASE-FX SFP for Gigabit Ethernet SFP Ports
100BASE-LX10 SFP for Fast Ethernet SFP Ports
100BASE-LX10 Rugged SFP for Fast Ethernet SFP Ports
100BASE-BX10-U SFP for Fast Ethernet SFP Ports
100BASE-BX10-D SFP for Fast Ethernet SFP Ports
100BASE-EX for Fast Ethernet SFP Ports
100BASE-ZX for Fast Ethernet SFP Ports
Regulatory and Standards Compliance
• Laser Class 1 21CFR1040 LN#50 7/2001
• Laser Class I IEC 60825
• IEEE 802.3u
• IEEE 802.3z
• IEEE 802.3ah
• GR-20-CORE: Generic Requirements for Optical Fiber and Optical Fiber Cable
• GR-326-CORE: Generic Requirements for Single-Mode Optical Connectors and Jumper Assemblies
• GR-1435-CORE: Generic Requirements for Multifiber Optical Connectors
• RoHS 5
For more information about Cisco 100BASE-X SFPs for Fast Ethernet SFP ports, contact: