Cisco® Application Networking Manager (ANM) software is part of the Cisco Application Control Engine (ACE) product family. It is also a critical component of the Cisco Unified Data Center and Cloud Services architecture, enabling service orchestration, application delivery, and operations and monitoring of Cisco ACE, Cisco Global Site Selector (GSS), Cisco Content Services Switch (CSS), Cisco Content Switching Module (CSM), and Cisco CSM with SSL (CSM-S). Cisco ANM, through its comprehensive set of tools, increases the application network service awareness and capabilities of data center operations personnel while reducing the burden of operating and managing those services. Cisco ANM can be deployed as a software package for Linux-based systems or as a virtual appliance for supported virtualization platforms.
Upgrading to Cisco ANM 5.2 (Figure 1) enables administrators to use the new template editor to create and customize predefined templates or create their own templates within Cisco ANM.
Figure 1. Cisco ANM 5.2 Homepage
90-Day Evaluation Period
Cisco ANM 5.2 includes a 90-day evaluation period that is activated when customers install the software. This feature enables users to begin using Cisco ANM immediately after installing the software. To continue using Cisco ANM, users need to install a permanent license before the expiration of the 90-day trial period.
Application Template Editor
Cisco ANM 5.2 introduces a template editor as an enhancement to the application templates. The template editor, as shown in Figure 2, supports code-editing capabilities for the creation and editing of application templates. Users can create and edit application templates on based predefined templates or create their own templates within Cisco ANM. The main features that enhance the usability of the editor include:
• Tools for performing common tasks such as search and replace, undo and redo, and indentation operations and implementing the insert command and opening and closing tags for loop commands (if, for, and foreach)
• Autocompletion code tag entry or a list of possible options based on the entered tag
• Errors and warning indicators with highlights showing the section of the code that contains the errors; details of the errors appear in the error description pane
• Embedded function button to validate the application template prior to service deployment
Figure 2. Template Editor
Application Template View
Cisco ANM 5.2 allows users to create application templates with basic and advanced viewing options.
• Basic view: Enables administrators to hide the variable fields that are configured with default values
• Advanced view: Displays all the variable fields, including the fields configured with default values
Dual Cisco Nexus 7000 Series Dynamic Workload Scaling
Configuration of dynamic workload scaling (DWS) is supported in Cisco ANM 4.3 and later. The current release, Cisco ANM 5.2, enables users to define up to two Cisco Nexus® 7000 Series Switches for DWS.
Capability to Change Managed Device Credentials
Cisco ANM 5.2 enables users to change both the device username and password in the Cisco ANM database to match changes made on the device using the command-line interface (CLI).
• User feedback hyperlink from any Cisco ANM GUI window
• Hyperlink to access Cisco ANM release notes
• Option to hide change the password hyperlink
• Cisco ANM Server for Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL): Cisco ANM 5.2 servers can be run on supported 64-bit and 32-bit versions of RHEL.
• Cisco ANM Virtual Appliance for VMware: The Cisco ANM virtual appliance is run as a virtual machine in a VMware 4.0 and 5.0 environment. There is no change to the Cisco ANM user's web interface, nor does the use of this appliance affect the way that Cisco ANM manages network devices. When deployed, this appliance is nearly identical to Cisco ANM run on a standalone Linux server. It is a complete computing system, including the application and operating system and an interface similar to the Cisco IOS® Software interface for administration functions such as backing up and restoring the system and configuring Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) properties.
The Cisco ANM virtual appliance is interchangeable with the Cisco ANM server. This interchangeability makes the appliance easy to deploy and scale; allows more efficient utilization of hardware resources; and eliminates the need to acquire, install, and maintain the operating system separately. The installation files for the Cisco ANM Virtual appliance for VMware are provided in the same package as those for the Cisco ANM Server for RHEL.
• Cisco ANM open orderability: To simplify deployment and enable customers make use of Cisco ANM capabilities, Cisco ANM 5.2 includes a 90-day evaluation period, which is activated when the software is installed. This feature enables users to begin using Cisco ANM immediately after installing the software. Production software license must be installed before the 90-day evaluation period expires to continue using Cisco ANM. Cisco ANM 5.2 software is offered free but must be ordered to receive a production license. Existing Cisco ANM server licenses fulfill the licensing requirements for customers upgrading to Cisco ANM 5.2. No additional licensing beyond that for the base Cisco ANM server software is required.
Cisco ANM 5.2 supports upgrades on the same server only from Cisco ANM 5.1. Customers upgrading from other versions must first upgrade to Cisco ANM 5.1 before migrating to Cisco ANM 5.2
Customers upgrading to Cisco ANM Server for RHEL must follow the instructions provided in the installation guide for Cisco ANM 5.2 with respect to server and operating system requirements.
Customers upgrading to Cisco ANM Virtual Appliance for VMware must follow the instructions provided in the installation guide for the Cisco ANM 5.2 virtual appliance with respect to VMware virtual machine requirements.
All existing Cisco ANM customers are eligible to upgrade without charge to Cisco ANM 5.2. All Cisco ANM server licenses (ANM-SERVER-xx-K9) for Cisco ANM 1.1, 1.2. 2.0, 3.0, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, and 5.1 fulfill the licensing requirements for upgrades. Customers with Cisco ANM 1.2, 2.0, 3.0, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, and 5.1 licenses can reuse their current Cisco ANM licenses when upgrading to Cisco ANM 5.2 on the same server platform. Customers wanting to rehost Cisco ANM on a different server platform or to move the Cisco ANM Virtual Appliance for VMware should contact the Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC) or Global Licensing Operation as usual to ask for a replacement Cisco ANM license PAK to rehost their existing license at the new server and appliance address.
Cisco ANM 5.2 is offered for order at no charge, though it does require licensing and must be ordered to receive a production license. Cisco ANM 5.2 ships with a 90-day evaluation period, which enables users to begin using Cisco ANM immediately in their production network. However, to continue to use the product, a permanent software license needs to be installed before the 90-day evaluation period expires. Cisco Software Application Support (SAS) requires a separate purchase.
Cisco ANM is available for order through regular Cisco sales and distribution channels worldwide. To place an order, visit the Cisco Ordering homepage. To download software, visit the Cisco Software Center. Table 1 provides ordering information.
The installation files for the Cisco ANM Virtual Appliance for VMware and for the Cisco ANM Server for RHEL are provided in the same package only for postal-delivered orders.
Table 1. Ordering Information
Postal Delivered Cisco ANM Server Software
Electronically Delivered ANM Server Software
Cisco Services makes networks, applications, and the people who use them work better together.
Today, the network is a strategic platform in a world that demands better integration of people, information, and ideas. The network works better when services, together with products, create solutions aligned with business needs and opportunities.
The unique Cisco Lifecycle approach to services defines the requisite activities at each phase of the network lifecycle to help ensure service excellence. With a collaborative delivery methodology that joins the forces of Cisco, our skilled network of partners, and our customers, we achieve the best results.