Enterprises that provide mobile data devices to employees want to restrict access to non-corporate applications and to web sites with games, gambling, adult content, etc. Operators need intelligent networking and Policy and Charging Control (PCC) solutions to provide their enterprise customers with the ability to manage costs and the use of mobile services while extending their internal IT policies to the mobile workforce.
Users, on the other hand, want to maximize the utility of their latest touchscreen smartphones, tablets, and other devices, and are willing to pay for personal usage. Operators can offer dual "modality" service plans that partition billing, quota, bandwidth, etc for corporate use and personal use, providing additional revenue for the operator. With Work/Play plans, the operator allows corporations to manage employer-provided mobile data usage spending while giving employees the freedom to use and pay for additional mobile data services that they want.
What Is the Opportunity?
Give enterprises ability to manage mobile costs and extend internal IT policies to mobile workforce, while allowing employee-paid personal usage.
What Are the Challenges?
Enforcing access restrictions by a variety of parameters including content rating, time of day, application, etc. in ways that accommodate corporate usage policies.
How Will This Impact My Business?
• Provides revenue from subscribers' personal usage
• Sells more corporate smartphone contracts to enterprises who no longer need to worry about uncontrolled spending
Figure 1. Employer-Managed Mobile Data Usage with Employee Freedom to Use and Pay for Personal Usage
What Do I Need?
• Cisco® ASR 5000: Purpose-built mobile multimedia core platform that delivers the performance and intelligence required by today's mobile networks.
• Cisco In-line Services: Intelligent functions that are integrated into the Cisco ASR 5000 and implemented in the bearer traffic flow, eliminating the need for external lower-reliability network elements while simplifying network through integrated functions and services. Work/Play plans utilize several In-line Services functions, such as Enhanced Charging Service Application Detection and Control, Traffic Optimization, and Content Filtering that restrict access to services per corporate-dictated policies.
• Cisco Mobility Unified Reporting: Solution providing comprehensive statistical analysis and trending information of all network attributes and subscriber sessions through tight integration with the deep packet inspection (DPI) capabilities of the Cisco ASR 5000. Helps operators optimize network performance, target new services, and plan infrastructure investments.
• Cisco Policy and Charging Control (PCC): Standards-based, highly scalable solution for operators to efficiently optimize network resources across subscribers and services while providing significant revenue opportunities by enabling the deployment of new personalized services. For the Work/Play plan, the PCC solution supports separate corporate and personal policy profiles, usage quotas, billing, etc.
Cisco IP Next Generation Network (IP NGN) offers a comprehensive end-to-end IP solution encompassing Radio Access Network (RAN) backhaul, IP edge and aggregation, Evolved Packet Core (EPC), IP core, and data center, optimized for the mobile data tidal wave, while providing an intelligent common IP core across all access types. Cisco's access-independent, IP-based Mobile Internet solutions are key drivers of operator differentiation, new revenues, network optimization, and profitability.
Furthermore, Cisco Services has the experience, tools, and best practices to help operators reduce time to market in deploying mobile network solutions.
Get Started Today
To find out how Cisco can help you gain new revenues by offering new and differentiated personalized mobile broadband services, contact your Cisco representative or visit: