Build the Next-Generation Automated Data Center
The Cisco Nexus 9000 Series delivers proven high performance and density, low latency, and exceptional power efficiency in a broad range of compact form factors. Operating in Cisco NX-OS Software mode or in Application Centric Infrastructure (ACI) mode, these switches are ideal for traditional or fully automated data center deployments.
Features and Capabilities
The Cisco Nexus 9000 Series Switches offer both modular (9500 switches) and fixed (9300 switches) 1,10, 40, and 100 Gigabit Ethernet (GE) configurations designed to operate in one of two modes:
- Cisco NX-OS mode for traditional architectures and consistency across the Cisco Nexus portfolio
- ACI mode to take full advantage of the policy-focused services and infrastructure automation features of the Cisco Application Centric Infrastructure (ACI)
Other benefits include:
- Delivers high performance and density
- Can be deployed in an energy-efficient traditional three-tier or leaf-spine architecture
- Provides a highly flexible and scalable Virtual Extensible LAN (VXLAN) multi-tenancy solution
- Provides a foundation for Cisco ACI, automating application deployment and delivering simplicity, agility, and flexibility
- Offers an open-object API programmable model for provisioning Layer 2 and 3 features
- Provides extensibility through a Route Processor Module application package, Linux containers, and Broadcom and Linux shell access
- Uses Cisco NX-OS API for easy-to-use web-based programmatic access
- Simplifies infrastructure management through integration with DevOps automation tools
- Provides up to 60 Tbps of nonblocking performance with less than 5-microsecond latency
- Features up to 2304 10-Gbps, 576 40-Gbps, or 128 100-Gbps Layer 2 and Layer 3 Ethernet ports
- Offers wire-speed gateway, bridging, routing, and Cisco Border Gateway Protocol Control Plane for Virtual Extensible LAN (BGP EVPN VXLAN)
- Features software patching for continued operations
- Has fully redundant and hot-swappable components
- Improves reliability and performance with a mix of third-party and Cisco ASICs performance
- Designed without a midplane to optimize airflow and reduce energy requirements
- Optimized to run with fewer ASICs, resulting in lower energy use
- Rated at 80 Plus Platinum in power supply efficiency
- Allows for reuse of an existing 10 GE cabling plant for 40 GE with 40-Gbps bidirectional transceiver
- Designed to support future ASIC generations
- Supports Cisco Nexus 2000 Series Fabric Extenders in both NX-OS and ACI modes
- Facilitates migration from NX-OS mode to ACI mode
- Intelligent Traffic Director (ITD): The industry’s first hardware based solution to deliver multi-terabit layer 4 load-balancing, traffic steering, and clustering solutions.
- Virtual Topology System: Automate overlay provisioning for both virtual and physical workloads for faster application delivery.
- Cisco Nexus Data Broker: Build a tap or SPAN aggregation infrastructure that is scalable, cost-effective, and programmable.
- Cisco BGP EVPN VXLAN: It supports highly scalable multitenancy data centers with, optimized resource use and traffic routing for transparent workload mobility.
See how ACI radically simplifies, optimizes, and accelerates the entire application deployment lifecycle. (4:50 min)
Raising the Bar in Power Efficiency
Lippis calls the Cisco Nexus 9508 the most power-efficient data center switch today. (PDF - 2.36 MB)Read Report
Raising the Bar in Performance
Cisco Nexus 9516 Switches show impressive power in Miercom's 40 GE tests. (PDF - 1.16 MB)Read Report
Learn about the similarities and differences of the models within this product series.
Cisco Nexus 93120TX Switch
Cisco Nexus 9516 Switch
Cisco Nexus 9508 Switch
Cisco Nexus 9504 Switch
Cisco Nexus 9396PX Switch
Cisco Nexus 9396TX Switch
Cisco Nexus 9372PX Switch
Cisco Nexus 9372TX Switch
Cisco Nexus 9336PQ ACI Spine Switch
Cisco Nexus 9332PQ Switch