Simplify and Scale Virtual Networking
Get highly secure, multitenant services by adding virtualization intelligence to your data center network with the Cisco Nexus 1000V Switch for VMware vSphere. This switch:
- Extends the network edge to the hypervisor and virtual machines
- Is built to scale for cloud networks
Get the Cisco Nexus 1000V Essential Edition at no cost.
Statement of Direction for Cisco Nexus 1000V Platform (PDF - 218 KB)
The Cisco Nexus 1000V will continue to be supported on the VMware hypervisor beyond VMware vSphere Release 6.0 as well as on other major hypervisors. Customers should upgrade their Cisco Nexus 1000V software to the latest version as they upgrade their VMware or other hypervisor environments.
Features and Capabilities
Important differentiators for the Cisco Nexus 1000V for VMware vSphere include:
- Extensive virtual network services built on Cisco advanced service insertion and routing technology
- Support for vCloud Director and vSphere hypervisor
- Feature and management consistency for easy integration with the physical infrastructure
- Exceptional policy and control features for comprehensive networking functionality
- Policy management and control by the networking team instead of the server virtualization team (separation of duties)
Use Virtual Networking Services
The Cisco Nexus 1000V Switch optimizes the use of Layer 4 - 7 virtual networking services in virtual machine and cloud environments through Cisco vPath architecture services.
Cisco vPath 2.0 supports service chaining so you can use multiple virtual network services as part of a single traffic flow. For example, you can simply specify the network policy, and vPath 2.0 can direct traffic:
- First, through the Cisco ASA1000V Cloud Firewall for tenant edge security
- Then, through the Cisco Virtual Security Gateway for Nexus 1000V Switch for a zoning firewall
In addition, Cisco vPath works on VXLAN to support movement between servers in different Layer 2 domains. Together, these features promote highly secure policy, application, and service delivery in the cloud.
Expand these offerings by building highly secure hybrid clouds with Cisco InterCloud.
Cisco Nexus 1000V Switch for VMware vSphere Editions
Cisco Nexus 1000V Switch for VMware vSphere is available in two separate editions. The Essential Edition is available at no cost and includes all the basic switching features. Advanced Edition adds advanced security capabilities and Cisco Virtual Security Gateway for Nexus 1000V Switch to the base functionality of Essential Edition. Buying Cisco TAC support is optional for Essential Edition and highly recommended.
Specifications at a Glance
|Features||Essential Edition||Advanced Edition|
|Layer 2 switching: VLANs, private VLANs, VXLAN, loop prevention, multicast, virtual PortChannels, LACP, ACLs||Yes||Yes|
|Network management: SPAN, ERSPAN, NetFlow 9, vTracker, vCenter Server plug-in||Yes||Yes|
|Enhanced QoS features||Yes||Yes|
|IP Source Guard||No||Yes|
|Dynamic ARP Inspection||No||Yes|
|Cisco TrustSec SGA Support||No||Yes|
|Cisco Virtual Security Gateway||Supported1||Included|
|Other Virtual Services (Cisco ASA1000V, Cisco vWAAS, etc.)||Available separately||Available separately|
1 Shipping Virtual Security Gateway (VSG) versions are supported on Essential and Advanced editions. VSG is no longer available as a standalone product.
Introduction to Virtualization
See how Cisco brings together a complete virtualization portfolio. (4:54 min)Watch Video
Watch a video on VXLAN technology in the Cisco Nexus 1000V virtual switch.Watch Now